• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

test firing a "for sale" gun

When I buy a new gun, I generally tell the clerk I am buying it and ask him to field strip it for a final inspection - even if I know how to do it. I once bought a new PPK/S that was asymmetrically machined (edge of one side of the dust cover came to a point) and could not be seen when the gun was assembled. I would have saved the trouble of sending it back to the Interarms (I think I bought before the S&W days). The importer was great - they agreed with my conclusion the gun was out of spec and sent a replacement without the problem.

I had one dealer refuse to field strip a 1911. I asked "what if there is a big tooling mark or defect?". The answer was "Sir, at that point you will own the gun and it will be between you and the manufacturer, not us".

Not doing that for the customer ranks up where with "Sir., that hood is not being opened until after you pay for the car" in my opinion. Vendors who disagree are free to not sell to me, no hard feelings.

Used blued guns can be a trap - I've seen impeccably maintained blued guns where the original owner never took the grips off for a cleaning and light oil wipedown that were in 95%+ condition except under the grips where less than 50% of original finish was left, plus there was pitting. I have a pristine 5.5" 25-2 I bought from a shop now known for bargains since it was in the used case. Mint except for the cylinder roll mark. I can't bring myself to fire it (too beautiful), but I have it properly oiled and store it with the wood grips removed to avoid under-grip corrosion.

Or how about checking the locking lugs on a well used 1911 to make sure they are not word down from a poor fitting job or DIY drop-in gunsmithing? Hard to do without a field strip.
New guns from dealer....different story. If they aren't willing to field strip, then that's silly. Field stripping would be part of showing proper operation and cleaning of the firearm. Many dealers have sign off sheets on that now that the buyer has to check off, as part of a procedure that the dealer has shown you how to operate the gun safely to protect their own ass.

Used guns bought from someone online.....negative. If you want that pay for a dealer transfer fee and I'm sure my dealer would be willing to do that for you as part of now buying the gun from him. I'm not saying all dealers will do this, but mine would as a favor to me as part of the sale.

Truth is, most of the time the finicky bastard that like that is also a cheap ass as well and doesn't want to pay for a dealer transfer fee. So go pound sand.

I've never test fired any guns I bought on NES, nor has anybody asked me to shoot mine. If they had, I would have allowed 2 mags of factory ammo. That's more than reasonable

I wished that I had test fired the S&W m63 I bought from a dude a few years ago. I had to send it to Smith to be repaired.

And, not entirely unrelated, some dude with no pos rating and 1 neg wanted to buy a gun from me. He got the neg because he was a no show. Then he wants me to drive out to Worcester. No thanks
Details of where and when the sale should take place is one of the most important things. It amazes me how people aren't willing to travel to save several hundred on a lightly used deal, but will drive an hour to FS guns to save 30 dollars and wait in a deli ticket line.

IMHO, somebody wants to buy something from you....they should be doing the travelling....its nothing different than them having to travel for anything else they want to buy.

Previously I've bent over backwards and travelled as a seller. Not anymore........I'm done with that shit, unless I'm going to the area, and the buyer will have to wait til I'm there.

Which is half the reason I just Gunbroker now and ship, or wait til I'm going to KTP or Cabelas and trade. Cabelas was not an option usually, but I got a great trade from them the last time
I traded....30% more than KTP which was wierd.

Actually, at least one (MFS) does, for a $10 fee.

"Subject to availability" could be taken two ways, I guess. Either testing is only allowed on in-stock guns, or they're offering to let you use one of their rental guns if they have that same model on the rental side (which isn't really the same thing).
MFS is offering to let you try out a rental gun from their rental rack. Not a gun from stock.

And you really think someone coming to meet a random stranger isn’t going to be carrying anyway?🙄
Yes. Prohibited people looking to acquire guns not from their babymommas or a smash and grab will sometimes be the ones showing up.

Amusing and different, I once met someone that showed up in a soft vest. Super nice guy and I think he relaxed when he saw the "baby on board" sticker on my rear window.

Have a friend who is carrying for safety set up near you but don't interact. Let the buyer think that's just a random range guy. Cause this sounds like a great way to setup a rip off.

Have a friend who is carrying for safety set up near you but don't interact. Let the buyer think that's just a random range guy. Cause this sounds like a great way to setup a rip off.
I've seen this outside of the range. I slowed down, spotted the configuration, and drove off. Sent a text to the guy to meet me inside a gunshop instead.

I've seen this outside of the range. I slowed down, spotted the configuration, and drove off. Sent a text to the guy to meet me inside a gunshop
Did thw guy show up at the gun shop? Cause I'm thinking he wasn't going to rip you off if he went through with the deal.

Yes. Prohibited people looking to acquire guns not from their babymommas or a smash and grab will sometimes be the ones showing up.

Amusing and different, I once met someone that showed up in a soft vest. Super nice guy and I think he relaxed when he saw the "baby on board" sticker on my rear window.
Well, you should probably be screening them to make sure they are licensed before making arrangements to meet…

Well, you should probably be screening them to make sure they are licensed before making arrangements to meet…

People must have some positive sale creds here on their feedback history before I'll even look at selling to them.

Sorry Newbies.....not going there.

I once tried a no buyer history sale, and the guy never showed and wasted my and my dealers time, as it was a dealer transfer, I felt safer to do this as it was going thru an FFL.......not happening again.

Would NEVER do a regular FTF with a someone with no feedback history of being a buyer.

Last edited:
I live in a free state. We don't have to beg for permission slips for our rights up here. It's easy to make a fake LTC for MA deals.
Well then, don’t know what to tell ya. Then don’t sell anything to people you don’t know
Pant shitters gonna pant shit

Details of where and when the sale should take place is one of the most important things. It amazes me how people aren't willing to travel to save several hundred on a lightly used deal, but will drive an hour to FS guns to save 30 dollars and wait in a deli ticket line.

IMHO, somebody wants to buy something from you....they should be doing the travelling....its nothing different than them having to travel for anything else they want to buy.

Previously I've bent over backwards and travelled as a seller. Not anymore........I'm done with that shit, unless I'm going to the area, and the buyer will have to wait til I'm there.

Which is half the reason I just Gunbroker now and ship, or wait til I'm going to KTP or Cabelas and trade. Cabelas was not an option usually, but I got a great trade from them the last time
I traded....30% more than KTP which was wierd.
It works both ways. Yes, they want buy. And YOU want to sell. That's why I'm happy to meet in the middle.

Well then, don’t know what to tell ya. Then don’t sell anything to people you don’t know
Pant shitters gonna pant shit
not sure why you're calling it pant shitting for people to take one look at a loser in a nissan with mass plates and to decide they don't want to provide the necessary ingredient for liberals to block traffic while holding dumb signs.

not sure why you're calling it pant shitting for people to take one look at a loser in a nissan with mass plates and to decide they don't want to provide the necessary ingredient for liberals to block traffic while holding dumb signs.
Well, if you’re in a free state as you say, then why would you even entertain the idea of selling to someone with Mass plates? You may not need a permission slip to exercise your rights, but you still have to follow federal law.

Well, if you’re in a free state as you say, then why would you even entertain the idea of selling to someone with Mass plates? You may not need a permission slip to exercise your rights, but you still have to follow federal law.
I am in a free state. Doesn't mean I want to sell to a criminal. Sorry that you're so upset about me calling out that you had to apply for a permission slip.

I am in a free state. Doesn't mean I want to sell to a criminal. Sorry that you're so upset about me calling out that you had to apply for a permission slip.
Hey, we need permission slips here in NH. They’re called drivers licenses.

Back
Top Bottom