• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

teaching my Crazy wife how to use a gun?

I saw the post by ericcif Another Law Abiding Citizen with an LTC and it got me thinking.

Wasn't my post. I have been trying to get my wife to take a class too, my problem is she was in the Army reserves a few years then spent ten years in the Navy as A Odanancemen so with everthing shes handled its hard for me to tell her not to touch the guns[wink]

I saw the post by ericcif Another Law Abiding Citizen with an LTC and it got me thinking.
I figured you folks have had to make these kinds of decisions before and I thought I would ask for your .02

I have been playing with the idea of teaching my wife to be how to shoot. I say "playing with the idea" because I am honestly not sure she is responsible enough to be trusted with a gun. I know that sounds terrible but lets face it, not everyone should have a gun (I can hardly believe that just came from me)
Don't get me wrong I lover her to death and she is a great person but, she does have a tendency to shall we say "over-react" from time to time. I know teaching her how to handle a gun is important and that I may not always be around when trouble shows up. For now we have a don't touch any of my guns rule. "If you see it out don't touch it." I just feal like she will not take my instruction seriously. I think she can be taught the right way to hand a gun but it make me nervous to think I could be the one putting a gun in the hands of a loose cannon.
Thoughts

If you even have to ask this question the answer is probably no.

I went through this with my wife
1. have her take the LTC class and get her permit.
2. If so desired after, have her take some other classes. ie: Ladies night out femalefirepower.org, contact goal for women only type events instruction.
3. Best not to teach her yourself.....ends up as "stop yelling at me" or "dont tell me what to do" "your not doing it right" ect ect. You can apply this to most "I will teach you" between wife/husband.

I got my wife to go to a Women on Target event, and it changed her whole outlook on firearms. She could not wait to take her saftey class and get her ltc., and of course she is now a better shot than i am.

We at Holbrook sportsmen's club are having a Ladies night for women new to, or never shot before to intro them in shooting It's this sat at 6:00pm. pm me and I can give you more info. takes pressure off both of you guys.

My wife didn't drive when we married, but after a couple of attempts, she didn't like it when I tried to teach her. She paid for a driving school to teach her, and surprised me with her driver's license.

My daughter is now 17, and doesn't yet have her permit. I have a feeling that I'm going to need to pay again for driving school. I did teach my son, although I distinctly remember yelling "Curb, CURB, CURB!" as I was watching my passenger wheel coming perilously close one day, with the entire family in the car. Do you think that my daughter remembers that? [wink]

My wife has allowed me to teach her to shoot, however (after she attended ScouterRick's excellent Basic Pistol course). I second the recommendation for a Women on Target or similar course, as well as befriending another couple who likes to shoot together. If there's another lady making your wife more comfortable with both the proper knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to become a responsible gun owner and shooter, she may develop the necessary respect for handling guns.

Good luck!

Wasn't my post. I have been trying to get my wife to take a class too, my problem is she was in the Army reserves a few years then spent ten years in the Navy as A Odanancemen so with everthing shes handled its hard for me to tell her not to touch the guns[wink]

Sorry about that ericcif my bad

My sister is one such person. Really nice. highly successful professional. A little manic/depressive, prone to extreme emotional swings. I wouldn't trust her with a gun. More importantly, she knows enough about herself not to trust herself with a gun.

This doesn't mean she's a child. On the contrary! She's a responsible adult who knows her own limits.

I've gotten this argument from someone I know, about not wanting to have access to guns so they're not around when they are down emotionally or whatever, but that's dumb as far as I'm concerned. I guess it's easy access to ending it, but so is drilling your car into the side of an overpass, living near a tall bridge, etc etc etc.

I figured you folks have had to make these kinds of decisions before and I thought I would ask for your .02

I have been playing with the idea of teaching my wife to be how to shoot. I say "playing with the idea" because I am honestly not sure she is responsible enough to be trusted with a gun. I know that sounds terrible but lets face it, not everyone should have a gun (I can hardly believe that just came from me)
Don't get me wrong I lover her to death and she is a great person but, she does have a tendency to shall we say "over-react" from time to time. I know teaching her how to handle a gun is important and that I may not always be around when trouble shows up. For now we have a don't touch any of my guns rule. "If you see it out don't touch it." I just feal like she will not take my instruction seriously. I think she can be taught the right way to hand a gun but it make me nervous to think I could be the one putting a gun in the hands of a loose cannon.
Thoughts

See if you can get her to a WOT event. You drive her, pack her a nice lunch, take her out after and then see how things go from there.

well folks, thank you for all the good advice. I spoke with her on the way home tonight and I think we are both in agreement on 2 points.
1. She and I both want her to be able to handle a gun should the situation arise
2. I am the wrong person to teach her

So we have agreed we will take the class together (refreshers never hurt) then she will go to the range with myself and one of my trusted friends to try the .22 then we'll go from there. If she's into it cool we can move on to bigger and better things. If not no worries at least we'll know and she will have a fair idea how to handle a gun

First of all, assuming you are not some guy who just assumes women shouldn't be around guns (which I don't think you are, but who knows), if you have any inkling that you shouldn't trust your wife with a gun, you should probably just avoid the whole thing. Keep in mind that all women are unstable ;), or ugly, or can't cook or clean, you can never have all 4. But on a more serious note, I wouldn't take any advice from people who don't know your wife and yourself personally. All the people here saying "get her to this get her to that" without knowing her clearly missed the part where you said you aren't sure if you trust her with a gun. Some people can't be trusted with guns, among other things, I would think you would be the only person on this forum that can judge that.

I'll defer to Martlet on the whole trusting NES members with guns thing.

Mike

she is a great person but, she does have a tendency to shall we say "over-react" from time to time.

Isn't she like most people? That's exactly why guns should be trusted only to trained professionals: police & military. And me, of course. I never overreact. Nerves of steel, calmness of Buddha...

He knows his wife, you don't. Some people really shouldn't have guns. This doesn't mean we must impose broad spectrum laws prohibiting people. It is a fact that there is (acceptable in my mind) collateral damage with regard to firearms proliferation among a free people. Some bad people, and some simply unstable people, will get guns. No need to encourage those in any degree of that category to arm themselves who otherwise would have no interest based on some misguided principle that having every person in the population armed makes the world "better."

To the OP, your wife may be a great person, but if you think it is a bad idea that she has guns, find another hobby to enjoy with her.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom