• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happened to my gun rug?

67ray

NES Member
Opened this case up and freaked when I saw what looked like rust on my revolver. Always oil guns going into a case and this one wasn't opened for a couple years.

Then I notice it is a powder and blows off with air. After cutting the rug open I see this inside. Reminds me of pool cue chalk. Do manufacturers put this in? What is it for?

20240208_222351.jpg

Opened this case up and freaked when I saw what looked like rust on my revolver. Always oil guns going into a case and this one wasn't opened for a couple years.

Then I notice it is a powder and blows off with air. After cutting the rug open I see this inside. Reminds me of pool cue chalk. Do manufacturers put this in? What is it for?

View attachment 848312

IMO, never store guns in cases, and here is an example why.

I’ve never seen anything like that. No clue somebody else knows what it is though.

Thought dessicant too. Have never heard of that in a pistol rug. What is interesting is it moved through the fabric liner which feels like that lightweight microfiber stuff. Never did that before.

Sometimes there just isn't room in the old safe for everything so the lower value stuff gets the foot locker.

I've never had a problem with it. At least if the whole thing is in a stable environment where humidity temps and condensation aren't going to be issues.
The problems generally arise when theres is excessive moister on the equipment before its stuff in the bag. Also cases that allow easy transfer of air/oxygen.
Well cleaned and oiled guns stored in cases are fine
Your safe is just a big case with more air circulation potential than a good “rug” .

The problems generally arise when theres is excessive moister on the equipment before its stuff in the bag. Also cases that allow easy transfer of air/oxygen.
Well cleaned and oiled guns stored in cases are fine
Your safe is just a big case with more air circulation potential than a good “rug” .
Every foam lined case I own got a good blast of oil as soon as it was fitted to the task.

That's what happens to foam when there is no air or moisture. It dries up and disintegrates. Had that happen to a mattress topper. What a freakin mess.

That's what happens to foam when there is no air or moisture. It dries up and disintegrates. Had that happen to a mattress topper. What a freakin mess.
That's probably it. This has always been kept in a dry/very low humidity spot and there is no other foam inside the rug.

Back
Top Bottom