teaching my Crazy wife how to use a gun?

shootback

NES Member
I saw the post by ericcif Another Law Abiding Citizen with an LTC and it got me thinking.
I figured you folks have had to make these kinds of decisions before and I thought I would ask for your .02

I have been playing with the idea of teaching my wife to be how to shoot. I say "playing with the idea" because I am honestly not sure she is responsible enough to be trusted with a gun. I know that sounds terrible but lets face it, not everyone should have a gun (I can hardly believe that just came from me)
Don't get me wrong I lover her to death and she is a great person but, she does have a tendency to shall we say "over-react" from time to time. I know teaching her how to handle a gun is important and that I may not always be around when trouble shows up. For now we have a don't touch any of my guns rule. "If you see it out don't touch it." I just feal like she will not take my instruction seriously. I think she can be taught the right way to hand a gun but it make me nervous to think I could be the one putting a gun in the hands of a loose cannon.
Thoughts

I'm assuming your wife drives a vehicle? If so then she has had the means to kill someone for quite some time. If you feel she won't take you seriously then have someone else train her that will command her respect of the situation. If she's made it this far in life without any criminal infractions she should be fine. Once she realizes that she will be someone's girlfriend in the big house if she abuses her right then she may tone it down when she is carrying. Overall, you know her best. If you're that unsure then just leave it up to her. Don't force it upon her and let her put on her big girl pants and decide for herself if she is capable or not to possess a firearm.

-Nate

when i took my safety class to get my license, i suggested the Mrs. come with me to learn how to safely handle firearms....
probably a smart thing for me to do what with all the guns now laying around my house :)

i also figured it would be smart for her to get her LTC so she [strike=""]could buy ammo and firearms for me[/strike] won't get jacked up by Johnny donut with a badge and a hard-on for spent brass should a casing accidentally find it's way into her car or on her person...

if she were any less intelligent than she is... i wouldn't have married her....
(if she were any smarter than she is, she wouldn't have married me!)

Seriously - Delete this post ASAP and pay for her to take the basic pistol class & get her permit.

Then teach her about your specific guns and help her understand how to operate and make them safe. Even if she doesn't carry, she'll have a better understanding and appreciation for shooting.

On a serious note, If YOU question it, probably not a good idea! My brother-in-law had his LTC, and 4 guns in the house. All locked up properly. His crazy ass wife had the cops called on her a few times, and on the last trip, decided to revoke my brother-in-laws license, and demand the guns be brought to the station by me, and transferred into my name.
When this all went down, he wasn't even home, and lost his license anyway!

Be careful what you write here. I would hate to find out your CLO found out you don't even trust your wife with a gun, and pull your ticket!

For now we have a don't touch any of my guns rule. "If you see it out don't touch it." I just feal like she will not take my instruction seriously. I think she can be taught the right way to hand a gun but it make me nervous to think I could be the one putting a gun in the hands of a loose cannon.
Thoughts

So currently the strategy is to treat her like a 5 year old?

shootback:2203131 said:
Why would you marry someone you can't trust?

I didn't say I could not trust her. I said I'm not sure if I trust her with a gun.

I think what Stef was getting at is some of us would say those two trusts should never be mutually exclusive.

Take her to a safety class. A good one. Then take her to the range.

So currently the strategy is to treat her like a 5 year old?

My sister is one such person. Really nice. highly successful professional. A little manic/depressive, prone to extreme emotional swings. I wouldn't trust her with a gun. More importantly, she knows enough about herself not to trust herself with a gun.

This doesn't mean she's a child. On the contrary! She's a responsible adult who knows her own limits.

Make sure you don't leave this page up on your computer. Then she might want to use a gun for the wrong reasons.

Some people can't be trusted with a gun, however, you should teach her the best you can (or have an instructor do it) and see how she handles it. You might be surprised.

I trust all of you on NES with guns, but I'm not walking downrange on a hot range with any of you holding a rifle in my direction either..Safe with firearms has various levels of meaning. IMO taking the safety class and learning how to check to see if the firearms are loaded and how to properly unload them would be a good start. Smart people tend to become more careful around firearms even if they aren't always so in their everyday life.

Last edited:
As a big mouth and a hot head I would suggest that the way a person behaves in situations has both to do with their personality AND the circumstances of their behavior. The way I react to situations since I've owned guns is very, very different from I had in the past. The severity of the potential outcome when a firearm is involved has everything to do with that.

For example, before owning guns I was a very aggressive, angry, impatient driver. Anyone who wasn't driving exactly like me was an idiot. I spent a lot of time swearing, flipping birds, and generally being an ass in traffic. Now, I drive safe. I don't want to offer any reason to create an incident, it isn't worth it to give a tailgater the finger so he can follow me home and come at me with a bat in my driveway. I don't want to have the conversation about why I had to shoot him.

Give your wife a little more credit. Get her into the GOAL Basic Pistol class where she can learn from an impartial instructor and you may be surprised at her attitude.

Some things are best left to a professional disinterested (note I didn't say UNinterested) party.

I would never try to teach someone I love how to snow (or water) ski, drive a standard, and now I'll add gun safety.

Some things are best left to a professional disinterested (note I didn't say UNinterested) party.

I would never try to teach someone I love how to snow (or water) ski, drive a standard, and now I'll add gun safety.

+1. I tried to teach my wife to ski a couple years ago. It didn't go well. Lots of crying and f-bombs yelled in the presence of small children (how would she learn to get back in her bindings after a fall if I help her stand up?! I maintain to this day I did nothing wrong).

I would ask another instructor to teach her the fundamentals of shooting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom