• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teach me about 357 revolvers

I have had the 357 revolver bug bite me. This will be my next purchase. I don't know much about revolvers so I am looking for some info on different frames, etc. Suggestions on a model to purchase would be great. I have a hankering for a short barrel 357...

I got a GP100 stainless 6" and absolutely love the gun. Great value and built like a tank. I was going to get a 686 until I saw the almost $200 price difference between the 2 guns. This was in 2011 so I don't know if they're still far apart in price today.

Don't have too much experience with short barrel revolvers other than the LCR and are great carry guns but I'm not sure how often you'll shoot .357 loads through it at the range.

Blued Ruger GP 141 4" < $450.00 Used

love it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Just went through this exact same thing, and will be picking up my brand new in box S&W 4" 586-8 later today. I got it off Gunbroker for only about $150 more than a similar GP100.
As mentioned before, get a Ruger or a S&W. I went to a few shops and handled both many times, the Smith just felt and looked better to me. Can't really go wrong either way.

Everything depends on what you plan to do with it. The lighter the gun, the more recoil, especially with magnums. The shorter the barrel, the less sight radius and the louder the blast. But if your intent is concealed carry, small and light is the way to go. S&W just brought back the Model 66, one of the most popular revolvers of all time. It's a K-frame, which is mid-sized, lighter and easier to carry than the L-frame 686/586 or the N-frame 27/627. Any of the above and the comparable Rugers, or even Colts if you can find one, would be a good investment.

Smith & Wesson or Ruger = Coke or Pepsi

4" barrel is an ideal balance between accuracy, recoil and weight.

Be mindful of the sights on the gun you choose. Adjustable sights (as seen on the S&W 686) are recommended over trench sights.

I'd avoid the lightweight snub nose guns (S&W J frame, Ruger LCR) - they're great for carry, but don't shoot well.

586 and 686 pretty much the same? just blued versus stainless?

Yep

Carver patriot said:
Agreed you wont be disappointed. Long barrels are more accurate and have less felt recoil and short barrels are wrist snappers i would suggest a long barrel first you will get more use out of it.

Agreed. I have a 6" S&W 686 and the recoil is very minimal. Shooting .38spl is like shooting .22, and shooting .357 is not bad at all - more fun actually. Shot a friend's 66-2 .357 snubnose last weekend and it was a bit snappier but really not bad at all. The only thing I really noticed more of was the heat on your hand when shooting .357. Both fun guns to shoot.

You need to narrow it down a bit more. When you say you want a short barreled 357, do you mean a "small 257 with a short barrel" or a "full size 357 with a short barrel". Ruger and S&W both offer excellent choices in both genres.

A couple of characteristic differences:

S&W are forged; Ruger are cast. Ruger's castings are great, so this is pretty much a non-issue.

S&W is a sideplate design. Yes, you can learn how to take a sideplate off and do a detail clean, but be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing show you (hint: NEVER pry off a revolver sideplate).

Ruger is a non-sideplate design, and you can remove the trigger assembly and cylinder from the gun as a "user operation".

Both companies offer excellent service. The difference is S&W states there is a lifetime warranty; Ruger does not state this, however, in practice they do.

Last edited:
Ahhh! The Dan Wesson. Excellent guns if you can find one. Sorry I sold mine.
Also, the 586 is blued and the 686 is stainless. The number 6 as the first digit on S&W revolver models usually denotes stainless steel construction.

You need to narrow it down a bit more. When you say you want a short barreled 357, do you mean a "small 257 with a short barrel" or a "full size 357 with a short barrel". Ruger and S&W both offer excellent choices in both

It's true my post is vague but with intention. Still not entirely sure what I want so I was looking to hear many options.
A little more specific: this will be a range gun, not a carry pistol. Therefore I would probably be looking for a full size frame with shortish barrel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smith or Ruger. Both will make you happy. Both will be with you forever. Lots of options for holsters, grips and sights on both.

Oh hell, buy both.

Smith and Wesson
Ruger
No one else.

While I absolutely agree in this context, I certainly wouldn't turn down a nice Colt.

And Rob is 100% correct as far as user-serviceability is concerned. I did some simple trigger work to my GP100 (polishing, shims) and it was neither intimidating nor difficult.

why doesn't everyone own, 3,4,5,6 or more 357 wheel guns????
i have 5 shot, 6 shot, 7 shot, and 8 shot 357 wheel's, love every one

It's true my post is vague but with intention. Still not entirely sure what I want so I was looking to hear many options. A little more specific: this will be a range gun said:
If you haven't fired .357 from a "shortish" barrel, it's not much fun. Plus, you give up a lot of the velocity of the .357 round to the extent that it's not much faster than some of the .38+P.

Back
Top Bottom