Teach me about 357 revolvers

Anyone have any experience changing a fixed sight? (I am also considering painting the tip of the sight with some bright paint. Anyone done this?)

Front sights can be changed. I'd suggest a gunsmith. I don't know whether the GP100 front sight is attached with a pin or integral. If it is integral, then it would have to be milled off.

It is cheapest to just paint the front sight. If you don't like it, you can always get the front site changed later.

i picked up some Federal .357mag 158 Gr. JHP just last week at the walmart in Hookset for $26.57
i have found some WWB's here and there at some of the other walmarts
and one day i was lucky enough to grab a box at the dicks in hadley, but that was months ago.

~2.5 months after I started this thread I finally picked myself up a GP100 3 inch barrel from GrabAGun (Thanks for the link andrew1220). Purchased 6/20, shipped 6/23, picked up from Mass Firearms School 6/24 (painless transfer at MFS, the whole process was 20min, $25 transfer fee. Can't ask for anything more than that!)

I took it to the range today and put 100rds of 38spl down the pipe. Love it. This thing is a tank. The double action trigger has a bit of a hitch just before the hammer release which I like. It allows me to pull the trigger and hold right before the trigger break. VERY accurate out of the box. The front sight is black which makes it a little challenging to pick it up when sighting on a black target. Anyone have any experience changing a fixed sight? (I am also considering painting the tip of the sight with some bright paint. Anyone done this?) Overall I am thrilled with the purchase.

I am looking forward to finding some 357 (as this was the original reason for buying this pistol). Anyone got any leads on 357? I haven't been able to find any over the last 2 weeks or so (admittedly my search was limited to 3 stores).

Thanks everyone for the info in this thread. This is my first revolver and I can see another in my future very soon...

Glad I could help you find it.

Get a hi viz front sight. Just need a punch as there's a spring/pin underneath holding it in. That's what I did on my 6" GP100 anyway. Not sure if the 3" is the same?

~2.5 months after I started this thread I finally picked myself up a GP100 3 inch barrel from GrabAGun (Thanks for the link andrew1220). Purchased 6/20, shipped 6/23, picked up from Mass Firearms School 6/24 (painless transfer at MFS, the whole process was 20min, $25 transfer fee. Can't ask for anything more than that!)

I took it to the range today and put 100rds of 38spl down the pipe. Love it. This thing is a tank. The double action trigger has a bit of a hitch just before the hammer release which I like. It allows me to pull the trigger and hold right before the trigger break. VERY accurate out of the box. The front sight is black which makes it a little challenging to pick it up when sighting on a black target. Anyone have any experience changing a fixed sight? (I am also considering painting the tip of the sight with some bright paint. Anyone done this?) Overall I am thrilled with the purchase.

I am looking forward to finding some 357 (as this was the original reason for buying this pistol). Anyone got any leads on 357? I haven't been able to find any over the last 2 weeks or so (admittedly my search was limited to 3 stores).

Thanks everyone for the info in this thread. This is my first revolver and I can see another in my future very soon...

As far as leads on 357 magnum ammo BPS, Riley's, and SHooters outpost all had 357 magnum ammo in stock this last weekend. As far as what to fire.....the hottest "fealing" loads (I'd descrive the recoil as a harsh snap) I have ever fired out of my sp101 believe it or not were remington 125 grain jsp 357 mag and go for about $27 a box (50 rounds). Muzzle flash and rerport are outstanding......but they hit a bit low from my fixed sight sp101. Now if you really are in the mood for recoil (I'd describe these as a hard SHOVE) pick up some remington HTP 180 grain jhp which can be found at BPS in Hooksett most of the time for about $40 a box (50 rounds)....heavy hard hitting ammo. For the most recoil (these are straight up harsh......follow up shot would be difficult out of my sp101 with these) I've fired buffalo bore 180 grain hard cast lead are outstanding and command a price of about $35 a box (20 rounds)......out of my sp101 these are limited to showing off at the range really.......out of your gp100 they actually would be quite usefull in the woods!

Last edited:
I finally got around to painting the front sight of my GP100. (Edit to add that since this a fixed sight model replacing the front sight is much more complicated so I went with this option) Ordered some white and red acrylic paint (of which I used about 0.000000001% of the total sent) from Amazon and picked up some really cheap brushes from Walmart.
Started with 3 coats of the white and then added 3 coats of the red. I think it looks pretty good and hopefully should show up better against dark targets.
What I would really like to do is add a layer of glow in the dark clear paint or nail polish. I searched on Amazon and there are a lot of options. Anyone tried this and had good luck with a certain brand?

Sorry for the blurry pics, it's a little hard to get my phone camera to focus on the small front sight.
f0d303f3b59374dd1ca673c437cb75d7.jpg
1040ac6c3e34602951b6a8680c1b67b9.jpg

Last edited:
Front sight would get lost on Santa's chest...

Looks good.

Back
Top Bottom