Teach me about 357 revolvers

Now, I know people don't seem to like the company for whatever reason, but the Taurus 65 and 66 are both excellent revolvers.

I don't own a handgun more accurate than my Taurus 66, 4".

The only reason I don't like taurus is they are not made in the US......every gun I own (besides my milsurp russian stuff) is made in the USA.

I have had the 357 revolver bug bite me. This will be my next purchase. I don't know much about revolvers so I am looking for some info on different frames, etc. Suggestions on a model to purchase would be great. I have a hankering for a short barrel 357...

If money is no object, and you can find one for sale: Colt Python. It's the next best thing to perfection and I regret ever selling the one I owned a lifetime ago.

I am sold on Colt revolvers. one I picked up for my daughter.

IMAG0207_zps58130825.jpg

Love my GP100. Cheaper than a similar Smith and Ruger's customer service is unbeatable. Absolutely no regrets buying that gun.

^^this

i shot my SP101 3" today, out to 25 and 50 yards. Little gun is amazing. What a blast and damn accurate. Seriously a GP100 or SP101 simply cannot go wrong with either.

my 686+ also shoots like a dream but it was way more expensive and had to spend 3 weeks at S&W to correct whatever gonnorrhea it had from the factory.

^^this

i shot my SP101 3" today, out to 25 and 50 yards. Little gun is amazing. What a blast and damn accurate. Seriously a GP100 or SP101 simply cannot go wrong with either.

my 686+ also shoots like a dream but it was way more expensive and had to spend 3 weeks at S&W to correct whatever gonnorrhea it had from the factory.

I've been thinking of getting the hammerless sp101. Found one online for a decent price. Been wanting a revolver for carry.

My GP100 needs a little brother haha.

Last edited:
I have 5 or 6 revolvers in my collection. The only one that sees any use is the S&W .357 360 PD. She has about 100 rounds thru it. Not a big revolver guy.

I have these 2 that sit in a box and do nothing. I'm waiting for a really cool trade to come along and ill send them packing! These have matching transverse serial numbers.
photog.jpg

I'm a fan of S&W K-Frames like the model 65. I prefer a 3" when I can find them. In my opinion S&W have the best triggers in the industry.

Ahhh! The Dan Wesson. Excellent guns if you can find one. Sorry I sold mine.
Also, the 586 is blued and the 686 is stainless. The number 6 as the first digit on S&W revolver models usually denotes stainless steel construction.

Very, very nice! Did not recognize the Dan Wesson. What a beauty

Revolvers, I have a few, too few to mention...

S&W 686 8 3/8"
S&W 66 2 1/2"
S&W 66 3"
S&W 29 6"
S&W 629 8 3/8"
S&W 547

Also have a Ruger that can switch between .357 and 9mm with a change of the cylinder. And a little NAA mini-revolver in .22mag.

And I probably have more that are not coming to mind. But I love Smith & Wesson revolvers.

686 was my first purchase many years ago! Still love to break it out for the thunder!
It's a great gun to bring out when I take along a newbie to the range, the .38s make is a lot more fun to shoot.

686 was my first purchase many years ago! Still love to break it out for the thunder!
It's a great gun to bring out when I take along a newbie to the range, the .38s make is a lot more fun to shoot.
I respectfully disagree. I load my sp101 up with buffalo bore 180 grain from time time.....now that's fun!

I bought the old lady a Smith & Wesson 60LS. Considered a ladies model, it's a small, 5-shot, light weight and packs a punch, but using 357 is more of a "nice bonus" to have the capability to shoot multiple calibers than it is to actually use it for that. It was fun to shoot dozens of rounds of .38 through, and was accurate, but .357 became painful after only a few shots (it has wooden grips so no recoil padding).

I also own the LCR 38, but actually prefer the S&W. I've been looking to get the S&W M&P R8, but they are hard to find and are expensive.

I bought the old lady a Smith & Wesson 60LS. Considered a ladies model, it's a small, 5-shot, light weight and packs a punch, but using 357 is more of a "nice bonus" to have the capability to shoot multiple calibers than it is to actually use it for that. It was fun to shoot dozens of rounds of .38 through, and was accurate, but .357 became painful after only a few shots (it has wooden grips so no recoil padding).

I also own the LCR 38, but actually prefer the S&W. I've been looking to get the S&W M&P R8, but they are hard to find and are expensive.

Isn't the model 60 a bit more comparable to the SP101 than the LCR?

Isn't the model 60 a bit more comparable to the SP101 than the LCR?

Not at all. The Sp101 is bigger than the model 60 and the LCR. All three are 5 shot and come in 38 spl or 357 magnum versions. All the model 60 is......is a j frame in 357 mag so the barrel is a bit heavier.....and is just about the same size as the LCR. The SP101 is kind of its own animal splitting the difference between j frame/LCR and full size revolvers...........that is why I like it so much. 357 mag through mine is stout but I can put an entire box of 50 through mine with no pain......and it is small enough to CCW with no issues at all.

Not at all. The Sp101 is bigger than the model 60 and the LCR. All three are 5 shot and come in 38 spl or 357 magnum versions. All the model 60 is......is a j frame in 357 mag so the barrel is a bit heavier.....and is just about the same size as the LCR. The SP101 is kind of its own animal splitting the difference between j frame/LCR and full size revolvers...........that is why I like it so much. 357 mag through mine is stout but I can put an entire box of 50 through mine with no pain......and it is small enough to CCW with no issues at all.

I realize the sp101 is a little bigger but I thought the 60 frame was a bit bigger and the grip was long enough to get an extra finger on, making it closer to an sp101 than an lcr.

image002.jpg

I realize the sp101 is a little bigger but I thought the 60 frame was a bit bigger and the grip was long enough to get an extra finger on, making it closer to an sp101 than an lcr.

image002.jpg
I've fired all. I can tell you the sp101 does not hurt to fore magnums......the LCR and 60 DO.

~2.5 months after I started this thread I finally picked myself up a GP100 3 inch barrel from GrabAGun (Thanks for the link andrew1220). Purchased 6/20, shipped 6/23, picked up from Mass Firearms School 6/24 (painless transfer at MFS, the whole process was 20min, $25 transfer fee. Can't ask for anything more than that!)

I took it to the range today and put 100rds of 38spl down the pipe. Love it. This thing is a tank. The double action trigger has a bit of a hitch just before the hammer release which I like. It allows me to pull the trigger and hold right before the trigger break. VERY accurate out of the box. The front sight is black which makes it a little challenging to pick it up when sighting on a black target. Anyone have any experience changing a fixed sight? (I am also considering painting the tip of the sight with some bright paint. Anyone done this?) Overall I am thrilled with the purchase.

I am looking forward to finding some 357 (as this was the original reason for buying this pistol). Anyone got any leads on 357? I haven't been able to find any over the last 2 weeks or so (admittedly my search was limited to 3 stores).

Thanks everyone for the info in this thread. This is my first revolver and I can see another in my future very soon...

Back
Top Bottom