1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Taser/Stun Guns MA Legal Now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ItalianBostonian, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Sparky123

Sparky123 NES Member

My problem isn't with the people that wish to use less than lethal force, it's those ridiculous prices.

2. edhead35

edhead35

Where there is no way to register a taser or stun gun until mircs website is updated they do exist again in the interim.

3. compleckz

compleckz NES Member

Interesting. I've seen the flashlight models heavily stocked. I figured it would fall under the existing law about guns needing to look scary, as Rob stated earlier.

Are these serialized and registered? Efa10 if you wanna sell to someone? Same sole same ole?

4. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Until regulations with the force of law go into affect, I'd say screw it, buy what you like, ignore any allegations that paperwork is required.

Typically it takes 1-1.5 yrs to get a CMR generated and approved by the governor. Hopefully GOAL will be on top of this (you can count on them trying to make it so that nothing is legal in MA) and let us know when the CMR is drafted so we can paper-bomb them with objections (well thought out) and show up in strength at the hearing to testify against the onerous requirements that we can count on them attempting to sneak by.

andrew1220 likes this.
  5. edhead35

edhead35

Right now there is no e anything. Not sure about serial number. They just said put it on there if it's there.

6. Sig Sauer Shooter

Sig Sauer Shooter NES Member

There's no serial numbers on the ones at FS, they're just putting the model number on the EFA-10....

7. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

Has anyone gotten a taser pulse yet? I’m trying to decide if one is worth the coin. I bought a cheesy $20 stun gun online and quickly realized it’s barely better than nothing.

8. jimnasium

jimnasium

Anyone know if there is a penalty for carrying a stun gun on school grounds. Being Mass i'm assuming there is, but you never know.

9. mlaboss

mlaboss NES Member

I have one. Not cheap for sure, but I'd rather have something that allows for engagement at a distance, and the Pulse fits that bill in a package that's about the same size as a S&W Shield.

10. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

And a dealer here claims they got instructions from EOPS to do this and that any stun gun has to look like a gun. So when they tweak the eFA-10 system you can expect a letter to turn in anything that doesn't look like a gun. It seems that only the better $300-700 versions will be allowed . . . my guess.

Since they categorized it as a firearm, I would expect the penalty to be the same. Regs haven't been written yet, but that's what I'm betting on as an outcome.

jimnasium likes this.
  11. Pewnurse24

Pewnurse24 NES Member

Purchased a flashlight sabre stun today from a SS in Westport. Showed license, no paperwork. Guy behind the counter even double checked that no paperwork had to be filled then I was on my way. $35 bucks plus tax

12. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

So just for a different perspective. I live in downtown Worcester. Often I'm outside of my apartment building at night and early in the morning to take my dog out. I have plenty of handguns and I don't have any problem carrying or shooting one. I'm a member of two clubs and on a pistol team so I shoot weekly. While it's possible someone could try to rob me I live in a high traffic area and usually I leave my wallet inside so I'm more concerned by someone who's gone off the deep end going after me because it's painfully obvious there is a huge mental health problem here.

I picked up a Taser Pulse yesterday and plan to keep it on me most of the time because frankly there are are considerable amounts of people who are not mentally stable that I encounter. The other night I was outside with the dog and the cop who guards the building at night was outside with me getting a little air. While we are out there a huge guy who is staring at us from across the street comes over and insists that the cop call the police because he is hearing voices (I think I could write a book about the bizarre people I've encountered but fortunately I've never had any trouble that wasn't solved by walking away). Would you be able to reason with this guy if he got violent? Nope, not a chance? Would you shoot him? I think you'd get killed in court trying to justify it unless he has a weapon and in the mean time he'd beat the crap out of you if you didn't shoot him. If he went after me he'd drop like a ton of bricks with the Taser and you could get away and not kill him. Yes I acknowledge I still might get reamed in court and that a Taser isn't a guarantee of success but it's far better than nothing.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't carry a gun but I'd rather leave that as a second option if I thought a perp had a weapon. For example some guy was stabbed around the corner from my building last year and the cops think it was because of a bad drug deal. When it happened I missed being on that corner walking back from the garage by minutes and you better believe I'd want to be armed with the biggest _ucking gun I own because they could have seen me witnessing it and come after me. Is this thought process wrong? That's at least why I wanted a Taser. If you live in suburbia maybe a Taser isn't for you but I like having the option.

AHM, Pewnurse24 and Qwikdraw45 like this.