• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Probably being redundant, but for any new-to-corrosive-ammo shooters. If you have access to hot water when cleaning out corro ammo... it's even better!

In a pinch, people have been known to use tea or even urine. Both will work just fine. All you need is water to sweep the salts away, and if it's hot? Like you say, all the better.

In a pinch, people have been known to use tea or even urine. Both will work just fine. All you need is water to sweep the salts away, and if it's hot? Like you say, all the better.
Lol. I can imagine a squad after a firefight in the Jungles of the South Pacific pissing down the muzzles of their M1's... [rockon]

And the Brits brewing tea for their ,303's 🍵

Lol. I can imagine a squad after a firefight in the Jungles of the South Pacific pissing down the muzzle of their M1's... [rockon]

I read about Brits doing it in the trenches on defense in WWI. I'm sure other countries have done it.

They used to piss down the barrels of muskets during the Napoleonic Wars, too. Same reason.

I read about Brits doing it in the trenches on defense in WWI. I'm sure other countries have done it.

They used to piss down the barrels of muskets during the Napoleonic Wars, too. Same reason.
"War is Hell" ~ William Tecumseh Sherman

1650929946804.png

Just a note on corrosive ammo, ANY Corrosive ammo:

I use a 10:1 mix of water/Ballistol in a squeeze bottle with nozzle. It will separate a little so shake before using.
Squirt down the muzzle, squirt down the breech, squirt in the action at the range and then a cleanup at home.

I started using this when shooting corro WWII ammo through 1903's and M1's. No damage.
View attachment 608061View attachment 608062
I just piss down the barrel when I’m done shooting.

To each their own.

Lol. I can imagine a squad after a firefight in the Jungles of the South Pacific pissing down the muzzles of their M1's... [rockon]

And the Brits brewing tea for their ,303's 🍵
Remember, that’s what they did in the Korean War the it got really cold. Posted this in the M1 Garand Megathread:

Remember, that’s what they did in the Korean War the it got really cold. Posted this in the M1 Garand Megathread:

Now THAT’s one rifle I wouldn’t mess with putting my Peter down into the action…ESPECIALLY with the winter conditions they dealt with at the frozen chosin.

All it takes is one time not pulling the bolt back far enough and that’s it for your little buddy.

Now THAT’s one rifle I wouldn’t mess with putting my Peter down into the action…ESPECIALLY with the winter conditions they dealt with at the frozen chosin.

All it takes is one time not pulling the bolt back far enough and that’s it for your little buddy.

Gives new meaning to GI Thumb........

How much damage can leaving the gun uncleaned after shooting corrosive ammo do? 1 week (That's all I had and I'm very sad over it), 2 weeks, months?

This is 2200rds and a month. but consensus online is it starts damaging quickly. within 24hr which is why hosing it out immediately is the way to go.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyRX58ZHGg

Soooo... how about BVA ammo replaces my brand NOS new pre ban AK, of which it's first shots were of this stuff. Which now has pitting on its gas block, tube, carrier and gas piston?

How much damage can leaving the gun uncleaned after shooting corrosive ammo do? 1 week (That's all I had and I'm very sad over it), 2 weeks, months?

Depends on things like storage conditions. You don’t want ‘em humid. Also depends on the bore coating (if any) and the sheer amount of salts in the barrel.

It can take as little as a few hours.

Depends on things like storage conditions. You don’t want ‘em humid. Also depends on the bore coating (if any) and the sheer amount of salts in the barrel.

It can take as little as a few hours.
Sat a week in my safe. This was right after a rinsed it with water

Attachments

• 20220424_212637.jpg
    20220424_212637.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 14
Sat a week in my safe. This was right after a rinsed it with water
For what it’s worth I’ve had some rust form in my AK’s gas tube/piston after shooting brown bear. Now I make sure to swab out the gas tube and run a bore snake after every range trip. It wouldn’t surprise me if corrosive primers get mixed in with new “non corrosive ammo” on occasion.

I wish I had your strength... [bow]
I really don't need anything, well, I could always use a little more 380 ACP, 9mm, 38 Spc, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 50 Beowulf, 223/5.56, 7.62x39, 308 Win/7.62x51, 8mm Mauser & 45-70 Govt. Just not at current prices. I actually bought that 2,000 of 9mm as a birthday present for my wife.

Back
Top Bottom