• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I also noticed, during pre-loading ammo inspection (I always go through a little ritual check before ammo meets mag or cylinder) that some of the Winny Reds "flat-top" projos had a slightly rounded
tip. I'm by no means a "scientific shooter" but I know for a fact that consistency = accuracy.

Winny Reds are not consistent.

That's not too impressive. Maybe just another way to market factory seconds in a way that their potential lower quality/issues wouldn't hit WWB's or other Winchester sub brand's reputation.

I've gotta say, the Winchester "Ready" 9mm in the red box... sucks. Poor accuracy. Everything else about it is great, easy feeding, clean burning, decent pop. Junk groups.
I've been getting better groups with the Sergeant Major Range steel & zinc 9mm... Much better.

Lesson learned...
View attachment 606264View attachment 606265
I'm going to have to test your hypothesis. I picked up a case of that because it was a 500 count. I've been using it for informal shoots at my club. Haven't done any slow fire with it. I've been pretty happy with it, but never considered that my performance was affected by the ammo. What you're telling me is that I'm actually much better than my scores would indicate? Awesome!

Primers too but not cheap.
<Insert "Bat Signal [classic]: @Broccoli Iglesias" here>.

I also noticed, during pre-loading ammo inspection (I always go through a little ritual check before ammo meets mag or cylinder) that some of the Winny Reds "flat-top" projos had a slightly rounded tip. ...
Your prudence regarding recoil chain reaction ignition
in your lever-action Glock's tube magazine is admirable,
but I think you'll still return home safe at the end of the day.

That's not too impressive. Maybe just another way to market factory seconds...
"Sweepins".

...in a way that their potential lower quality/issues wouldn't hit WWB's ... reputation.
[rofl2]

What you're telling me is that I'm actually much better than my scores would indicate? Awesome!
Mind if I call you "Champ"...?
🤔 Do they call @EddieCoyle "Crimp"?🤔

@Daddy Mac, here's hoping a new ammo choice sends you to the Big Leagues! Keep us posted on your testing of the Red Box Winny, would you?

I shot another box of it tonight and it did slightly better. All rounds landing within the 4-ring and the group shrunk down to +/- 4 inches with an oddball flyer every couple of sets.

May have been one particularly bad box, but still not stellar. I have a case-and-a-half left and will report back in a while after trying with a couple of other platforms...

~Enbloc

@Daddy Mac, here's hoping a new ammo choice sends you to the Big Leagues! Keep us posted on your testing of the Red Box Winny, would you?

I shot another box of it tonight and it did slightly better. All rounds landing within the 4-ring and the group shrunk down to +/- 4 inches with an oddball flyer every couple of sets.

May have been one particularly bad box, but still not stellar. I have a case-and-a-half left and will report back in a while after trying with a couple of other platforms...

~Enbloc
I wonder how it'd do at 25 or 50 yds out of a PCC shooting for groups

I wonder how it'd do at 25 or 50 yds out of a PCC shooting for groups
Not sure. A longer barrel may stabilize the projo and improve accuracy... But I just don't know. Only PCC I have is a Keltec Subbie and it's nothing to call a tack-driver...

PSA: We should be treating the TSUSA exclusive Republic Range and Training 7.62x39 and other sketchy/no name/generic 7.62x39 as if it was corrosive. Any relabled Russian/former SSR made steel case or knockoffs are suspect at this point. Lots of reports on various AK forums in the last few days that some of new Russian/former SSR/etc ammo popping up in the last few months is corrosive. Just make sure to pour some water down the bbl, gas tube and on other action parts like the bolt and carrier.

Some brands/importers are saying ammo from the same plant/production lot IS CORROSIVE while another importer/brand of the same exact ammo is saying it is non corrosive.

I also noticed rust on my gas tube/piston/gas block after shooting a couple different brands that included Republic, which were all labeled as non corrosive.

@paulleve @SKumar @enbloc @andrew1220 @not new guy @76Too a heads up since you guys mentioned looking into or buying this stuff

PSA: We should be treating the TSUSA exclusive Republic Range and Training 7.62x39 and other sketchy/no name/generic 7.62x39 as if it was corrosive. Any relabled Russian/former SSR made steel case or knockoffs are suspect at this point. Lots of reports on various AK forums in the last few days that some of new Russian/former SSR/etc ammo popping up in the last few months is corrosive. Just make sure to pour some water down the bbl, gas tube and on other action parts like the bolt and carrier.

Some brands/importers are saying ammo from the same plant/production lot IS CORROSIVE while another importer/brand of the same exact ammo is saying it is non corrosive.

I also noticed rust on my gas tube/piston/gas block after shooting a couple different brands that included Republic, which were all labeled as non corrosive.

@paulleve @SKumar @enbloc @andrew1220 @not new guy @76Too a heads up since you guys mentioned looking into or buying this stuff
Interesting ill keep an eye out. But I will say I ran a corrosive test myself on a round from the first case of republic I got and it wasn't corrosive. Ill have to try another from a different case. I did notice its odd all the lot numbers were removed from any Republic I received.
TL- Zsr x51
TR- Chinese surplus x39(control corrosive)
BL- Republic x39
BR- LC m855 (control non corrosive)
Only one with corrosion was the chinese, even a month later looking at them now no signs of corrosion on the others. But ymmv definitely worth checking after shooting.
20220124_080406.jpg
Close up of the chinese
20220124_080348.jpg

Last edited:
The Republic stuff

Thanks. This is what the Republic stuff from this latest order looks like, for whatever it's worth:

1650893239365.png

1650893263455.png

1650893291221.png

From the TSUSA page re: the headstamp:

Interesting ill keep an eye out. But I will say I ran a corrosive test myself on a round from the first case of republic I got and it wasn't corrosive. Ill have to try another from a different case. I did notice its odd all the lot numbers were removed from any Republic I received.
TL- Zsr x51
TR- Chinese surplus x39(control corrosive BL- Republic x39
BR- LC m855 (control non corrosive)
Only one with corrosion was the chinese, even a month later looking at them now no signs of corrosion on the others. But ymmv definitely worth checking after shooting.
View attachment 607827
Close up of the chinese
View attachment 607828
Thanks for testing this

5.56 Nato - Norma 62 Grain SS109 Steel Core 1,000 Rds. Can $559.99 (free shipping)​

Not TSUSA but one of the other guys who ship to MA with a copy of your FID/LTC.
Got the Norma SS109 a few days ago. Looks good, will have to see how it shoots.

Comes in a nice ammo can (heavy rubber seal).
IMG_3195.jpg
Sealed latch.
IMG_3192.jpg
Well padded with cardboard.
IMG_3197.jpg
Comes 50 to a box on 10 round stripper clips.
IMG_3199.jpg
Only issue is they are plastic stripper clips with no spoon. Fortunately I’ve never been good at using a stripper clip with a spoon so I already have a Maglula StripLULA stripper clip loader and it works just fine with the plastic clips.

I've not noticed any rust/pitting from the Republic yet. But, who knows? I'm a "cleaner"... I always clean my firearms after a range trip. Keeps me proficient in their disassembly/re-assembly.

I'll post back if I find anything notable...

Just a note on corrosive ammo, ANY Corrosive ammo:

I use a 10:1 mix of water/Ballistol in a squeeze bottle with nozzle. It will separate a little so shake before using.
Squirt down the muzzle, squirt down the breech, squirt in the action at the range and then a cleanup at home.

I started using this when shooting corro WWII ammo through 1903's and M1's. No damage.
1650919864718.png 1650919943501.png

Just a note on corrosive ammo, ANY Corrosive ammo:

I use a 10:1 mix of water/Ballistol in a squeeze bottle with nozzle. It will separate a little so shake before using.
Squirt down the muzzle, squirt down the breech, squirt in the action at the range and then a cleanup at home.

I started using this when shooting corro WWII ammo through 1903's and M1's. No damage.
View attachment 608061View attachment 608062

I used to just carry a bottle of water to the range when I shot my AK74's.

When done shooting flush the shit out of them at the range with the water and then flush it again with a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and Marvel Mystery Oil and run a patch through the barrel.

I used to just carry a bottle of water to the range when I shot my AK74's.

When done shooting flush the shit out of them at the range with the water and then flush it again with a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and Marvel Mystery Oil and run a patch through the barrel.
Yep. Lots of folks say Windex w/ ammonia but the ammonia does nothing to the salts. It's the mostly water in the Windex that helps...

Got the Norma SS109 a few days ago. Looks good, will have to see how it shoots.

Comes in a nice ammo can (heavy rubber seal).
View attachment 608023
Sealed latch.
View attachment 608025
Well padded with cardboard.
View attachment 608028
Comes 50 to a box on 10 round stripper clips.
View attachment 608029
Only issue is they are plastic stripper clips with no spoon. Fortunately I’ve never been good at using a stripper clip with a spoon so I already have a Maglula StripLULA stripper clip loader and it works just fine with the plastic clips.
Pretty good deal considering things as they are. No green tip? I like the color coding, it lets me know which ones I shouldn't be shooting at steel targets.

Yup. Just use water.

I spent many years shooting SMLEs at a time when milsurp .303 was plentiful, cheap, and corrosive. The Brits actually made a special funnel just for pouring water down the bore, though I never picked one up. I always just brought a squeeze bottle to the range, like an old-skool cycling bottle, and just flushed out the bore after shooting.

Back
Top Bottom