• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

They either:
- know it's bots and aren't saying
- don't believe it's bots because they have bad telemetry
- most bots are transitioning to humans during the checkout process (I. E. Add to cart and alert the owner)

There is 0 chance "all bots are banned".
This. 100%.
There is some level of automation going on. Bot / scripts whatever. However you slice it, there are profiteers making hay with their current system.
I'm glad they are doing cart holds and limits soon. Prime members need some easier path to getting ammo or what's the point?
I wonder how many prime members they have.....

This. 100%.
There is some level of automation going on. Bot / scripts whatever. However you slice it, there are profiteers making hay with their current system.
I'm glad they are doing cart holds and limits soon. Prime members need some easier path to getting ammo or what's the point?
Probably in the tens of thousands.

Scorpio joint has 5 remaining Brown Bear 9mm 500 packs for $250(limit 1).

As well as a bunch of Fiocchi 12ga #4 buck 10 packs(limit 10) for $12.99.

This was very timely. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I forget about our friends. I passed on the Brown Bear but bought the limit on the #4

Is there a way to cancel the recurring payment for prime? Or do you just need to go in and cancel your membership manually before it renews?

Is there a way to cancel the recurring payment for prime? Or do you just need to go in and cancel your membership manually before it renews?
You can turn off auto-renew. It's one of the options somewhere under the My Account function.

Weird... maybe I canceled before. I just looked an it looks like the last time I paid for Prime was Dec 2019. I guess my prime expired a couple of months ago and I canceled before it renewed.

They either:
- know it's bots and aren't saying
- don't believe it's bots because they have bad telemetry
- most bots are transitioning to humans during the checkout process (I. E. Add to cart and alert the owner)

There is 0 chance "all bots are banned".

This. 100%.
Well, they're trying to do something.

I had an auto-refresh set up the other day on a specific caliber. After a bit, it switched to "REFUSED". Checking yesterday, it appears that they blocked the base IP address for my company (no machine in the office can access the site). Kind of a blunt-force approach, but at least an attempt. This morning, I went to the TS website with my home machine (it's still blocking the entire office). Website pooped up fine, until I logged in, at which point it flipped to "REFUSED".

That's different. Not only are they blocking the IP address from which the multiple hits were coming, but they're completely blocking the account that was logged in. I can't access anything. Order history, account info, nothing at all. Clear the cookies on the machine, website loads fine, log in, locked out.

Setting up a new account is a workaround, but losing access to the account info is a pain. Not a stunning issue (I still have all the email receipts), but a nuisance. It would be a real issue if I had a paid membership, as they would be locking me out from that. However, as luck would have it, my old membership expired on Sunday and I had turned off auto-renew, so no harm there.

Not sure that's the best technique they could be using, especially banning accounts without warning, but it shows they're trying.

I had an auto-refresh set up the other day on a specific caliber. After a bit, it switched to "REFUSED". Checking yesterday, it appears that they blocked the base IP address for my company (no machine in the office can access the site). Kind of a blunt-force approach, but at least an attempt. This morning, I went to the TS website with my home machine (it's still blocking the entire office). Website pooped up fine, until I logged in, at which point it flipped to "REFUSED".

That's different. Not only are they blocking the IP address from which the multiple hits were coming, but they're completely blocking the account that was logged in. I can't access anything. Order history, account info, nothing at all. Clear the cookies on the machine, website loads fine, log in, locked out.

Setting up a new account is a workaround, but losing access to the account info is a pain. Not a stunning issue (I still have all the email receipts), but a nuisance. It would be a real issue if I had a paid membership, as they would be locking me out from that. However, as luck would have it, my old membership expired on Sunday and I had turned off auto-renew, so no harm there.

Not sure that's the best technique they could be using, especially banning accounts without warning, but it shows they're trying.

They are taking the path of least risk to their site & business it seems.

It's good to know it's popping up more, but 70cpr for aluminum case 9mm is just insanity. I get it if there are new shooters buying it because it's their only option but the rest of us ought to know better. That aluminum blazer ammo is practically useless, you can't use it at most indoor ranges because it's impossible to separate, no training schools will allow it because it pisses off their host ranges, it's basically only good for practice outdoors, and even then it sucks because your paying 70cpr for non reloadable ammo...

The Brown Bear 9mm is actually really good stuff as far as steel case 9mm goes and was more reasonable, and at least you can probably use it for training, although you might have to grab a magnet after and pick it up and dispose of it.

It's good to know it's popping up more, but 70cpr for aluminum case 9mm is just insanity. I get it if there are new shooters buying it because it's their only option but the rest of us ought to know better. That aluminum blazer ammo is practically useless, you can't use it at most indoor ranges because it's impossible to separate, no training schools will allow it because it pisses off their host ranges, it's basically only good for practice outdoors, and even then it sucks because your paying 70cpr for non reloadable ammo...

The Brown Bear 9mm is actually really good stuff as far as steel case 9mm goes and was more reasonable, and at least you can probably use it for training, although you might have to grab a magnet after and pick it up and dispose of it.
I like steel case for outdoors because I can just drag a magnet to clean up instead of crawling around in the grass looking for brass. I still never end up finding them all.

Unfortunately it is really impossible to ban bots. After getting my ip blocked, I was curious how the bot nets must work, since IP blocking is so easy. I ban IPs too when I detect someone is screwing around on my web site trying to hack it.

Google "vpn ip rotation". It takes a few minutes to figure out how to download a product that costs $2.99 per month and rotates your ip address every 5 minutes. This works and is impossible to stop so long as you don't do this authenticated with a real account, i.e. do it with anonymous requests. Configured this way, you can set up a radar ping to notify you when something is available but must manually log in and purchase it. The advantage is now you can search for several different calibers on a smaller time increment before burning that ip.

Unfortunately it is really impossible to ban bots. After getting my ip blocked, I was curious how the bot nets must work, since IP blocking is so easy. I ban IPs too when I detect someone is screwing around on my web site trying to hack it.

Google "vpn ip rotation". It takes a few minutes to figure out how to download a product that costs $2.99 per month and rotates your ip address every 5 minutes. This works and is impossible to stop so long as you don't do this authenticated with a real account, i.e. do it with anonymous requests. Configured this way, you can set up a radar ping to notify you when something is available but must manually log in and purchase it. The advantage is now you can search for several different calibers on a smaller time increment before burning that ip.
VPN exit points are limited in numbers for each VPN provider... it will take some time, but eventually they all can be blacklisted if the bot is persistent :)

The current ban on the site is not tied up to accounts. It is strictly IP- based - I can login with my account from another IP address without a problem, but all my home machines are banned as they PAT to a single public IP addy that has been blacklisted. I am hoping there is a TTL for the blacklisted entries (ie 24 hours or so). Once you are whitelisted it is up to you how you will act :)

I like steel case for outdoors because I can just drag a magnet to clean up instead of crawling around in the grass looking for brass. I still never end up finding them all.
Same here, used to buy freight shipments of that Brown Bear 9mm from our friends back when it was cheap.

Well, I'm not overly concerned about the IP block in any case. Past things that require some effort (your option above), I could always blunt force it by releasing the incoming IP lease just before I leave the office tonight (turning the ONT and router off immediately after) and then turning them back on in the morning.

That and I'm really unsure that there's anything I'd be buying at the moment with my current inventory on hand, assuming that the CMP comes through with my order from last month.

The current ban on the site is not tied up to accounts. It is strictly IP- based - I can login with my account from another IP address without a problem, but all my home machines are banned as they PAT to a single public IP addy that has been blacklisted.
This is not the case. My office IP is banned and no machine here at my office can get in, regardless of account or login status. My old account is also banned, regardless of location, as I can hit the website at home with a new account, but as soon as I try to log in with the old account I am locked out.

This is not the case. My office IP is banned and no machine here at my office can get in, regardless of account or login status. My old account is also banned, regardless of location, as I can hit the website at home with a new account, but as soon as I try to log in with the old account I am locked out.
Clear your cookies :) It is an IP- based ban. My home machines are banned logged or not logged in. My phone when not on Wifi is not banned and I am logged in the site.

Back
Top Bottom