Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I generally f***ing hate 22 LR, but my Glock 44 has been pretty fun for what it is, but it sure as hell isn't the only gun I'm going to be bringing to the range.

Can’t be the only one, training and a need to make some actual noise demand the .22 and... scenario. I like to think of it as an intermezzo, an intermission that helps me stifle my round count with what are currently more expensive calibers than I can afford to reliably feed, or find, as is the case with buck and slug.

Need a Glock 44 to be my first .22LR because I shot the Ruger SR22 at my firearms safety course in Everett and absolutely hated it, turned me off to 22 ever since.

There are other good options out there as well. I think of .22LR platforms like craft beer. There’s a lot out there; some suck, some are decent, and some are amazing. Read reviews, follow the crowd, and experiment to find what you like. Setting a few tin cans and clay pigeons up at 100 yards and trying to hit them with an iron sight .22 rifle or handgun, is delightfully pleasing. Semi-autos are obviously going to have the biggest discrepancies. Training to reload a carry piece from a khaki shorts pocket, and dot torture drills are useful (and currently expensive), .22 is just fun.

Compound that with all the "Brand New, never owned an icky gun before" types.
These folks were finally 'startled' enough to buy a killing machine... but can't find ammo for it.

Their Platinum cards are flexing their muscles and paying 36 cents a round without batting an eye...

This could be due to lack of knowledge. If you're just getting into shooting, you have no price reference.

They also might not know that 36 a round is a lot for 9mm. Especially when they see jhp for 80 and think they're getting a deal
He beat me to it. This.

Also, even if you know prices suck... What is that ammo worth to you? A $500 firearm without ammo is pretty useless. If I woke up tomorrow and had NO ammunition, I would be willing to pay a pretty hefty price for a few boxes.

Their Platinum cards are flexing their muscles and paying 36 cents a round without batting an eye...
Im a fairly new gun owner myself. Around 10 years. I can recall during one of the previous panics when I was really new, people bitching about how newbies were paying $0.50/rd for 223 and how crazy it was and if people just stopped paying those crazy prices things would stabilize and eventually fall back to somewhere near normal. Its hard when you have no baseline to go off of, no stockpile to speak of, bouncing store to store looking for something under 50 cents, no one would ship here (or so I thought). I thought I would be smart and get into reloading but components were nowhere to be found either. So I figured Id just shoot more 22 but that was even more scarce.

I feel for the people who bought their first gun in the last few months. Maybe not so much for the people who dragged their feet (I have a few guys in work who fall in this category). Either way, new people have no idea what was a good price and trying to tell them is like listening to Nana talk about how she used to pay a nickel and watch movies all afternoon. I guess these things all play out the same way. It'll pass, prices will fall to some new normal and hopefully new people learn and manage their supply responsibly.

i think you will see demand fall off in a couple months. People are stockpiling and there are new shooters, but I don’t see the number of people actually consistently shooting high volume going up much.

Let us not forget TS and others picked up the whole state of California as potential buyers recently, too.

Compound that with all the "Brand New, never owned an icky gun before" types.
These folks were finally 'startled' enough to buy a killing machine... but can't find ammo for it.

[laugh] Given the other SD ammo offerings at .80¢ per pew I'll pay .36¢ everyday for JHP if they keep putting it up and I see it.

pew.png

Its hard when you have no baseline to go off of, no stockpile to speak of, bouncing store to store looking for something under 50 cents...

I feel for the people who bought their first gun in the last few months.

Yeah, this is me. Licensed in January, and fortunately was able to get some 9mm and a few thousand rounds of .22 before everything really hit. Just paid .55 a round for 5.56 on TS yesterday for my new mini 14. I don't need nana to tell me about the good ol days, cuz I can see what the prices were like among all the stuff that sold out on the site and hasn't been restocked yet [crying]. Its funny they don't even try to hide how bad you're getting gouged right now.

i think you will see demand fall off in a couple months. People are stockpiling and there are new shooters, but I don’t see the number of people actually consistently shooting high volume going up much.
On the plus side, 5 of my last six trips to the range I’ve had it all to myself!
Yeah, this is me. Licensed in January, and fortunately was able to get some 9mm and a few thousand rounds of .22 before everything really hit. Just paid .55 a round for 5.56 on TS yesterday for my new mini 14. I don't need nana to tell me about the good ol days, cuz I can see what the prices were like among all the stuff that sold out on the site and hasn't been restocked yet [crying]. Its funny they don't even try to hide how bad you're getting gouged right now.
Yeah, where is the attorney general protecting us from price gouging? ;)

I know its tough, especially considering those back-in-the-day prices were from only a few months ago. :(

Only thing I can say is come up with an amount of cash that you can dedicate to ammo purchases and make a weekly buy. As prices go up youll be buying less but still adding to the pile. As prices fall youll be buying more. Spend time dry firing at home and when you do go to the range, think about what youre doing and make it a point to actually practice good technique rather than just blast away. Sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control, follow through, etc. Mag changes and failure drills can be done at home as well.

I feel for the people who bought their first gun in the last few months. Maybe not so much for the people who dragged their feet (I have a few guys in work who fall in this category). Either way, new people have no idea what was a good price and trying to tell them is like listening to Nana talk about how she used to pay a nickel and watch movies all afternoon. I guess these things all play out the same way. It'll pass, prices will fall to some new normal and hopefully new people learn and manage their supply responsibly.

Horrible time for new gun owners. Definitely feel for them. But for the procrastinators, no sympathy. SH, Las Vegas, 2016 election should've been enough warning. The "told you so" is off the charts delicious. LOL.

Ha! Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Gotta respect supply and demand, I suppose. Tough to complain when I had none, my price elasticity was low enough to endure the price, and now I have a little over 500 rounds.

You're definitely in a tough spot. Heed @headednorth 's advice and just start saving. I've only been at it for 2 years and I'm not that much better off than you. I sprung for the TSUSA membership recently and it's perfect for someone like me who doesn't routinely have hundreds of dollars for cases of ammo. Especially now when things are in and out of stock in a matter of minutes, I can buy 1000 rds. of .22 here and 400 rds of 9mm there, and, well, I've basically stopped with the 5.56 until it drops back below .40/rd. By then I should have enough money for case, maybe. It's not a super efficient method, but it works for me.
The free shipping is abosultely paying for my membership as I've only been a member since July 2nd and already saved $62.

Also, in a thread related matter, shipping and processing is super quick! I assume because they have so few sku's in stock, but, ordered 2 bricks of CCI SV Monday, shipped yesterday, arriving today.

You're definitely in a tough spot. Heed @headednorth 's advice and just start saving. I've only been at it for 2 years and I'm not that much better off than you. I sprung for the TSUSA membership recently and it's perfect for someone like me who doesn't routinely have hundreds of dollars for cases of ammo. Especially now when things are in and out of stock in a matter of minutes, I can buy 1000 rds. of .22 here and 400 rds of 9mm there, and, well, I've basically stopped with the 5.56 until it drops back below .40/rd. By then I should have enough money for case, maybe. It's not a super efficient method, but it works for me.
The free shipping is abosultely paying for my membership as I've only been a member since July 2nd and already saved $62.

Also, in a thread related matter, shipping and processing is super quick! I assume because they have so few sku's in stock, but, ordered 2 bricks of CCI SV Monday, shipped yesterday, arriving today.
I do the same thing, I can't afford cases for 300-400 at a time. Sure its cheaper in the long run but I don't have enough disposable income to do it all at once. I but 3-4 boxes a week from TSUSA for the most part. I really do feel for some of the new shooters, I have a friend who got his LTC right when everything started going south, only reason he has ammo to shoot is because I keep funneling him stuff at not completely insane prices. Maybe now wasn't the best time to get rid of the Ruger after all.. haha

Back
Top Bottom