Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

If ammo is scarce now can you imagine what will happen if/when Biden wins the election and whoever he appoints as the Attorney General?

Warren? Stacey Abrams? Kamala Harris? Keisha Bottoms?

You'll see prices like you've never seen before.

If ammo is scarce now can you imagine what will happen if/when Biden wins the election and whoever he appoints as the Attorney General?

Warren? Stacey Abrams? Kamala Harris? Keisha Bottoms?

You'll see prices like you've never seen before.
More concerned about shortages vs price. The price only gets retarded on flipper side, the stores will only go so far. Imagine what happened with the last .22 LR shortage going on with 9mm, .45, etc. There literally was no .22 LR bulk ammo to buy for like a year!

I had to buy a case last night too. I was spoiled paying 4 cents a round for 22LR but I have noticed lately that it's getting hard to find it at 6-8 cents per round now. Since I am already rationing 9mm I decided I am not going to ration 22 and just keep shooting it whenever I want.

This is my line of thinking as well. Replace at least half of what I was shooting with .22LR. Still train with what matters, but subsidize It with a lot of .22. Unfortunately now I’m looking at a Ruger Wrangler and perhaps a new bolt action. Saving money costs money.

[rofl]

You really want that? Protip: it will still sell out probably up to $18 a box. Maybe $19, even.

It was $18 a box, and yes, I do want to see sellers make money and do want to see scarce ammunition allocated to those willing to pay for it rather than those who can hit F5 the fastest. Notice that defensive hollow-point, at 80cpr, isn't selling out, so clearly there's some price point below that where FMJ won't sell out either.

Saving money costs money.

I shoot my 22s out back and anything bigger and louder at the range. I don't often get the chance to head over to the range so sneaking out back to shoot off 40 or 50 rounds in my woods is usually how it goes these days. What I find funny is that I am hemming and hawing about spending $430 on a Tikka T1X but I'll spend $350 at the drop of a dime on ammo. I half regret buying a Grand Power Stribog because as much as I like it, there's no way I am going to burn through 9mm right now when it is difficult to find for 30-40 cents a round!

It was $18 a box, and yes, I do want to see sellers make money and do want to see scarce ammunition allocated to those willing to pay for it rather than those who can hit F5 the fastest. Notice that defensive hollow-point, at 80cpr, isn't selling out, so clearly there's some price point below that where FMJ won't sell out either.
I was wondering if someone at TSA screwed up the last Friday evening listing Federal JHP 9mm at .36¢ per round considering ball was hovering at ~.32¢, I'm just happy I was able to grab some before it disappeared(no F5 hitting involved, just damn fortunate timing checking on the phone).

There's probably a very good explanation for this that I'm just not experienced enough to know, but why don't the manufacturers ramp up production considering everyone is looking to buy now, even at these retarded prices? Are these companies already at maximum output?

There's probably a very good explanation for this that I'm just not experienced enough to know, but why don't the manufacturers ramp up production considering everyone is looking to buy now, even at these retarded prices? Are these companies already at maximum output?

I’m not in the industry, but considering the amount of shortages across the board, one can safely assume that there are supply issues. Why don’t they just make more pressure treated lumber?
Sudden demand increases shock the supply and it takes time to adjust, if they even can. Raising prices helps move the supply curve to quell demand, or it should on relatively elastic goods. Ammo has proven to have a relatively low elasticity of demand, meaning people (as evidenced) will still buy the product regardless of price.

I'm guessing covid related delays, like most other industries.

Holy prices Batman. $479 per 1000

$549

More concerned about shortages vs price. The price only gets retarded on flipper side, the stores will only go so far. Imagine what happened with the last .22 LR shortage going on with 9mm, .45, etc. There literally was no .22 LR bulk ammo to buy for like a year!

Part of that is due to the fact that 22lr has lower margins for the manufacturers, so they prioritize making centerfire cartridges, even when 22lr stocks are low.

Ammo has proven to have a relatively low elasticity of demand, meaning people (as evidenced) will still buy the product regardless of price.
Compound that with all the "Brand New, never owned an icky gun before" types.
These folks were finally 'startled' enough to buy a killing machine... but can't find ammo for it.

Their Platinum cards are flexing their muscles and paying 36 cents a round without batting an eye...

I think a lot of us a shooting more 22 now or plan to. I have plenty of 9 and 556 but I can't justify the cost of replacing it.
With the amount of people shooting more 22 demand is going to increase. For that caliber more than others. With it being a lower profit margin for manufacturers. I wonder if we're headed for another 22lr shortage.

Compound that with all the "Brand New, never owned an icky gun before" types.
These folks were finally 'startled' enough to buy a killing machine... but can't find ammo for it.

Their Platinum cards are flexing their muscles and paying 36 cents a round without batting an eye...

They also might not know that 36 a round is a lot for 9mm. Especially when they see jhp for 80 and think they're getting a deal

I think a lot of us a shooting more 22 now or plan to. I have plenty of 9 and 556 but I can't justify the cost of replacing it.
With the amount of people shooting more 22 demand is going to increase. For that caliber more than others. With it being a lower profit margin for manufacturers. I wonder if we're headed for another 22lr shortage.

Yup. Despite doing a fair amount of (recent) matches. My range time is non existent. That said I took a buddy shooting for his first time a few weeks ago.

If I shoot for fun now, I’ll stick with .22 (have a good size stash) and .45 as I shoot 9 in competitions.

But might slow down on matches as my supplies are getting to an uncomfortable level.

Part of that is due to the fact that 22lr has lower margins for the manufacturers, so they prioritize making centerfire cartridges, even when 22lr stocks are low.

Lol, but no. .22 LR lines were maxed out back then, there was simply not enough to go around. The $$$ wasn't the problem- like I said, I saw people laying down
stupid cash for bricks of .22. The ammo just wasn't to be had. It would also be completely idiotic for a manufacturer to loaf, given that the ROI during a demand
time is generally greater than normal, which allows for BETTER profit margins. You can charge a little extra for your shit, when demand is off the
wall. They could have made an extra 10 or 20 bucks off a brick of 22 LR during those periods. Easy. I know this because I saw people paying stupid money for
them. During that drought if I had a gun shop, and I put up bricks for $65.00 I bet they wouldn't even last a day. If any shops even had .22 LR, they were rationing it down to the
50 round box level.

I’m not in the industry, but considering the amount of shortages across the board, one can safely assume that there are supply issues. Why don’t they just make more pressure treated lumber?
Sudden demand increases shock the supply and it takes time to adjust, if they even can. Raising prices helps move the supply curve to quell demand, or it should on relatively elastic goods. Ammo has proven to have a relatively low elasticity of demand, meaning people (as evidenced) will still buy the product regardless of price.
I think it’s the same issue as we had with Toilet Paper, high volume low margin production that runs close to 24/7 and near capacity normally so they have very little ability to ramp up production.

Think we’re already there.

Lol, but no. .22 LR lines were maxed out back then, there was simply not enough to go around. The $$$ wasn't the problem- like I said, I saw people laying down
stupid cash for bricks of .22. The ammo just wasn't to be had. It would also be completely idiotic for a manufacturer to loaf, given that the ROI during a demand
time is generally greater than normal, which allows for BETTER profit margins. You can charge a little extra for your shit, when demand is off the
wall. They could have made an extra 10 or 20 bucks off a brick of 22 LR during those periods. Easy. I know this because I saw people paying stupid money for
them. During that drought if I had a gun shop, and I put up bricks for $65.00 I bet they wouldn't even last a day. If any shops even had .22 LR, they were rationing it down to the
50 round box level.

Maxed out on their 22lr lines, but they just didn’t have as much manufacturing capacity for rimfire and they’re not going to expand their rimfire capability for a temporary demand.

Maxed out on their 22lr lines, but they just didn’t have as much manufacturing capacity for rimfire and they’re not going to expand their rimfire capability for a temporary demand.

They're not going to expand much for any temporary demand, because it's too difficult to tell how long it will last. I'm sure they made SOME changes/upgrades after obamascare 2/sandy hook BS, as a lot of those shortages went on for so long that someone could argue there was untapped revenue there.

I think a bigger deal this time around is corona bullshit. Think of all the "safety" doctrine that goes into a large manufacturing operation, and then having to lard up your manufacturing process with covid bullshit. Then god knows how many of them, were just outright closed at the beginning, or closed on and off until the peak, or operating at reduced capacity either because of
sick staff, or wanting to avoid workers passing disease, etc.

I also think that there certainly was some expansion done since OS2/SH.... because if there wasn't, then why is there still even any ammo around? IMHO things would be a lot worse. The demand right now is unprecedented... and there is still some ammo around, like 4-5 months into this dual pronged, record breaking shit fest. That is kind of amazing, actually.

Back
Top Bottom