Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Could someone please edju-micate me on the benefits of "red polymer" coating 22LR ?
Ive never used it myself but...

The polymer coating of lead bullets creates a thin film of polymer on the outer surface of the bullet. It works as a lubricant and protective layer decreasing the friction between the bullet and bore and decreasing the fouling of the barrel. As mentioned above, It is also good for shooting with suppressors. According to 22plinkster, this polymer coated .22 LR ammunition decreases the fouling in the bore and in suppressors by roughly 30-40%, which means you’ll have to clean them less frequently.

Ive never used it myself but...

I suppose the "red" color also helps with increased velocity

22LR SK Rifle Match is back in stock as of this morning. The SK Rifle Match is pretty decent stuff from my experience.

Purchased 5 bricks would've liked to have bought a case. Timing was sad since I've already exceeded by budget allocation this month. Feel sorry for me 😄

Last edited:
I think I finally have to go prime. Any prime members here? is it worth it? I do try to shoot a lot so I'm more than the occasional buyer

At this point its only worth it if you can't afford case quantities or if you shoot exotic calibers that stay in stock.

It really shines on the free shipping getting a few boxes here and there. But if you are buying it by the case, I think it gets almost the same discount rate, and the free shipping.

I think I finally have to go prime. Any prime members here? is it worth it? I do try to shoot a lot so I'm more than the occasional buyer
It works out to be an 8% discount plus free shipping on any quantity. (50 rounds of 22lr ships free). Someone did the math and you have to order like $1100 over the course of a year to break even iirc.

As others have said, it depends on your situation. I also consider myself more than an occassional shooter and it's more than worth it for me because I can't afford full cases. If you can buy full cases you get free shipping anyways, but not the 3 or 4 cents/rd. discount. SO, a few cents/rd. combined with free shipping means it works for me beautifully. A couple hundred rds. here and there adds up over time and keeps the safe somewhat stocked even while I'm stil shooting.

Yeah, where is the attorney general protecting us from price gouging? ;)
AGs in MA gave up going after price gougers many years (and many AGs) ago.

Recently driving thru Brookline (rt. 9), regular gas was $2.99/gal when most other stations were $2.05-2.19. Nobody in gov't cares. It's not just about guns/ammo.

It works out to be an 8% discount plus free shipping on any quantity. (50 rounds of 22lr ships free). Someone did the math and you have to order like $1100 over the course of a year to break even iirc.

That's not hard to do and I don't think that takes in to acount the free shipping. My typical shipping costs were $11 before Prime, if you add that amount to the 6 orders I've placed totaling a combined $62 savings in ammo alone, I've saved $120, since July 2nd.

Edit- I kinda feel like a jerk now. I went looking back at my orders and apparently I'M the a**h*** clogging up UPS. 7 orders in 20 days, all 1000 rds. or less. Time to cut back for a bit. 🙄

Last edited:
I went prime because I'm more occasional but then ofcourse all this stuff started happening so I'm buying bulk more often. I still snag a few boxes here and there of carry stuff so hopefully it pays off.

AGs in MA gave up going after price gougers many years (and many AGs) ago.

Recently driving thru Brookline (rt. 9), regular gas was $2.99/gal when most other stations were $2.05-2.19. Nobody in gov't cares. It's not just about guns/ammo.
Len what do you think property tax and rent cost in Brookline? Lol.

Admittedly I think most of the rapey gas stations inside the 93/95 loops aren't being used to sell gas... basically every other run down gas station with overpriced gas is probably a money laundering operation for somebody.

No I didn’t but maybe it’s worth contacting them. Though it’s only 400 rounds that I bought.
I remember a long time ago admin wrote to Winchester about some shitty WWB he ended up with and to make a long story short they basically sent him an entire case of free ammo... complaining is worth it as long as you're technical about it and can give them lot numbers and that kind of thing it helps them fix the product....

I don't see how anyone who buys from them more than a few times a year wouldn't make out ok or better with prime.

8% off any quantity, free shipping on even one box. If nothing else it gives you the ability to buy ammo stress free since you are not playing games worrying about shipping costs...

I used to sit there for 1.5 hours (usually when flying) driving myself insane comparing costs of large orders from lucky, surplus, ammunition depot, etc, etc, trying to beat the shipping formulas - now its 20 minutes (pre covid when I could just buy a list of whatever) and I pay less without the headache.

Yesterday I was something like $26 off free shipping, today another $12 free shipping, no pressure to buy a case at full butt raping or pass on a small quantity raping due to shipping. I probably save $400/year via prime.

I bought a couple bricks of SV yesterday (day before maybe?) for just under my "worst of times" price ceiling. Prior to that I dont think Ive bought any 22 since March.

Yep. The savings are crazy good now. Assuming $18 per box of 9mm, I'm saving about $13 per 50 [laugh]

Theres the rub. Im a prime member of target sports. But at todays prices. Not gonna buy anything.
Glad ive got the reloading press and components. But I liked it better when 9 wasnt worth reloading.

Even 40 isnt worth it

Theres the rub. Im a prime member of target sports. But at todays prices. Not gonna buy anything.
Glad ive got the reloading press and components. But I liked it better when 9 wasnt worth reloading.

Lol, it was always worth reloading. The only way anyone could possibly argue it isn't is if they're buying it at real wholesale cost, which these days, nobody gets to do.

But, WRT commercial ammo, yes, it is pricey, but if I can still get cases of 9mm for well under $400, I'm doing it. I remember the Obamascare 2 days of having to run around like a moron to chase down a few boxes of ammo. Remember that if this shit gets markedly worse, the next step is "Flippers or nothing". And the flippers aren't going to be selling it for under $450 a
case, otherwise they wouldn't even bother unless they can make serious bank quick. Like I remember the last time 5.56 was "gone" during Sandy Hook/OS2 bullshit... It went from $400-425 a case (which everyone whined about) and then POOF, suddenly all gone, and flippers were getting $600-700 on gunbroker for a case of Q3131A or whatever. So when you guys think "this is expensive" in relative terms, no, it's not. Not even close. [laugh[ I have way more than I did during any of the Obamascares, but who knows how long this shit will last. And worse case
if you buy too much, and you think the bottom is going to fall out you can dump a case less than the flipper price and get all your money back and then some. Or absolute worst case, oh noes, you have an extra 1000 rounds of ammo that cost a little. Oh noes, the horror. [rofl]

The one thing that the reload v. buy calculations always seem to overlook is the cost of the reloader's time.

You are of course correct.

For me it is therapeutic. Much like shooting is therapeutic. I find it relaxing. it's mindless. And for extra credit keeps me hiding in the basement while the wife is watching CNN!

Back
Top Bottom