Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

4th Circuit weighs constitutionality of Maryland's assault-style weapons ban

Looks like they're going to strike it down. What's next? En banc hearing or SCOTUS?

The 4th has been very liberal and activist since Obama was able to stock the court. The previous AWB case Kolbe vs hogan was a 2-1 opinion striking it down then the case went en banc and the liberals upheld the law. Will the liberal on the court thumb their noses at SCOTUS? We’ll see in this case and others. I honestly don’t know if they’ll honor NYSRPA vs bruen or not. Certainly some won’t but I’m not sure if enough will.

The mag limits and AWB in CA are very likely to be struck down in December or January by Benetiz in CA, then that moves to the 9th which isn’t as liberal as it was in 2016.

Just a continued FYI - forget the lower court rulings. Forget the press. Go sell pencils in a cup if necessary but what this needs is $ to fund the legal battles. Let's all keep that in mind.

The liberal (democrat party) press??? Remember the Dems hated integration 50-150 years ago. Somehow, once it was thrust upon them, they embraced it as the inventors of it. Expect teh same from the press and Dems in the future. For now, ignore them. They mean nothing. Short of a constitutional amendment to abolish 2A, you're not losing this battle. . . . as long as we have enough $ in the coffers for good attorneys.

Oh, and freaking VOTE in 2 years. If I hear any of you New Hamsters complaining that this one or that one isn't conservative enough for you, I'm going to go drive like a maniac on your roads. ;). Seriously - let's vote OUT those who are CLEARLY 100% against our interests.

Just a continued FYI - forget the lower court rulings. Forget the press. Go sell pencils in a cup if necessary but what this needs is $ to fund the legal battles. Let's all keep that in mind.

The liberal (democrat party) press??? Remember the Dems hated integration 50-150 years ago. Somehow, once it was thrust upon them, they embraced it as the inventors of it. Expect teh same from the press and Dems in the future. For now, ignore them. They mean nothing. Short of a constitutional amendment to abolish 2A, you're not losing this battle. . . . as long as we have enough $ in the coffers for good attorneys.

Oh, and freaking VOTE in 2 years. If I hear any of you New Hamsters complaining that this one or that one isn't conservative enough for you, I'm going to go drive like a maniac on your roads. ;). Seriously - let's vote OUT those who are CLEARLY 100% against our interests.
Fully agree 100%. The frustrating thing though is the vast majority of gun owners in America do NOTHING to help with the fight. They won't join 2A organizations, won't contribute so much as a penny to the cause and are happy to be freeloaders.

Complaining freeloaders. LOL

EDIT - it's not a gun owner thing. It's a human thing. 99% will just sit and complain and wonder why the 1% gets all the money and power. I saw it at a school. I saw it at a church. They complain real good. But they never make an effort. Worst at the church and school - if you ended up appeasing them, they'd find a way to F you anyhow later. The loudest complainers needed to be booted. Hard to do in a church without looking like a dictator. ROFL!!!!

Complaining freeloaders. LOL

EDIT - it's not a gun owner thing. It's a human thing. 99% will just sit and complain and wonder why the 1% gets all the money and power. I saw it at a school. I saw it at a church. They complain real good. But they never make an effort. Worst at the church and school - if you ended up appeasing them, they'd find a way to F you anyhow later. The loudest complainers needed to be booted. Hard to do in a church without looking like a dictator. ROFL!!!!
ask not something something...?

Regarding en banc, that’s not a common thing with the exception of gun cases in the 9th circuit. The 9th has taken every pro 2A case en banc if the anti side lost in the 3 judge panel. En banc is used some in other types of cases in the 9th too. It’s not very common on any types of cases in other circuits. So even though the 4th has an anti 2A majority that doesn’t mean it will take a 2-1 pro 2A case to an en banc. I’d say it’s a coin flip they would, it could go either way.

The anti-gun law professors take on a poll indicating 64% of respondents favor the SCOTUS Bruen decision.

“The most recent responses to Marquette Law School’s Supreme Court poll, which ran from November 15-22, indicated that 64% of respondents favored or somewhat favored a Supreme Court decision holding “that the 2nd Amendment right to ‘keep and bear arms’ protects the right to carry a gun outside the home.” 19% of respondents somewhat opposed such a ruling, and 17% strongly opposed it. The question was phrased as a summary of the holding in Bruen: “In 2022 the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd Amendment right to ‘keep and bear arms’ protects the right to carry a gun outside the home. How much do you favor or oppose this decision?” Perhaps predictably, given how the question was drafted, some outlets have reported on the poll as indicating “the popularity of the Bruen decision,” that “64 percent favor the ruling in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen,” and that “most Americans are happy with expanded gun-rights protections” generally. But there are serious reasons to doubt that the Marquette poll actually supports these broad conclusions.”

And to suggest NYC accepted RKBA is as disingenuous as NYS’s lawyers were when Roberts asked “How many muggings take place in a forest?”

“The poll results shed light on a narrow question: how many Americans favor a ruling by the Supreme Court that extends the Second Amendment right to cover carrying guns in public. While it’s certainly true that this was part of the holding in Bruen, it was a relatively uncontroversial part: both parties in the case accepted that “the Second Amendment protects an individual right to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense.”

They think the question was not properly framed, etc. BS - the only thing the general public knows is Bruen favored CCW and they agreed. They’re dancing on the heads of pins and know it.

“To be clear, this isn’t to say that public support for Bruen is (or is not) at the 64% threshold suggested by the Marquette poll. Popular support for the decision, or certain aspects of the decision, may in fact be that high—but Marquette’s question does not shed any real light on the popularity of Bruen as a whole.”

Last edited:

Not unexpected. NY will be dragged kicking and screaming into compliance.

“On Monday afternoon, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals lifted District Judge John Sinatra, Jr’s injunction that had blocked portions of New York’s Concealed Carry “Improvement” Act dealing with the many “gun-free zones” created by the anti-gun legislation; the second time over the past week or so that the Second Circuit has stepped in and allowed the state to resume enforcement of many of the challenged provisions in the CCIA.”

Not unexpected. NY will be dragged kicking and screaming into compliance.

“On Monday afternoon, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals lifted District Judge John Sinatra, Jr’s injunction that had blocked portions of New York’s Concealed Carry “Improvement” Act dealing with the many “gun-free zones” created by the anti-gun legislation; the second time over the past week or so that the Second Circuit has stepped in and allowed the state to resume enforcement of many of the challenged provisions in the CCIA.”
Remember folks, your Rights and government restrictions:

1670959123134.png

Not everyone likes the ruling, The Atlantic has its panties in a twist

Since the horrific murders at Sandy Hook Elementary a decade ago, America has seen hundreds more mass shootings, a sharp rise in gun deaths generally, and an alarming turn toward gun-glorifying political extremism. Yet we still depend on hundreds of laws that keep guns out of crowded public places, stop teenagers from buying handguns, and prohibit criminals from arming themselves with assault rifles. Now, because of a recent Supreme Court ruling, many of these remaining regulations are in danger of being dismantled. As bad as America’s gun-violence problem is, it could be about to get much worse.

Less than two years after the appointment of President Donald Trump’s third pick for the U.S. Supreme Court created a 6–3 conservative supermajority, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote the majority opinion in the case New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen. The Court could have issued a narrow decision and directed New York to be more lenient in issuing concealed-carry permits. But as in the Dobbs v. Jackson decision on abortion, which came a day after Bruen this year, the conservative majority seized an opportunity not to adjust precedent incrementally, but to destroy it completely.......snip

Last edited:
10 years :eek:

But nothing binding for the next guy. [sad]

NYSRPA vs bruen is why Hawaii folded. The judge in the case made it quite clear to Hawaii, this the agreement. He’s not a lawyer and was fighting them Pro se for several years before Beck took the case. His case was one of the Grant vacate, remand from SCOTUS after the NYSRPA decision.

Read up on young, he was fighting as a promise to his daughter who died in a car accident. Reminds me a bit of Otis McDonald who took on Chicago’s gun ban over a decade ago. The little guys who wouldn’t be denied.

Not everyone likes the ruling, The Atlantic has its panties in a twist

Since the horrific murders at Sandy Hook Elementary a decade ago, America has seen hundreds more mass shootings, a sharp rise in gun deaths generally, and an alarming turn toward gun-glorifying political extremism. Yet we still depend on hundreds of laws that keep guns out of crowded public places, stop teenagers from buying handguns, and prohibit criminals from arming themselves with assault rifles. Now, because of a recent Supreme Court ruling, many of these remaining regulations are in danger of being dismantled. As bad as America’s gun-violence problem is, it could be about to get much worse.

Less than two years after the appointment of President Donald Trump’s third pick for the U.S. Supreme Court created a 6–3 conservative supermajority, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote the majority opinion in the case New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen. The Court could have issued a narrow decision and directed New York to be more lenient in issuing concealed-carry permits. But as in the Dobbs v. Jackson decision on abortion, which came a day after Bruen this year, the conservative majority seized an opportunity not to adjust precedent incrementally, but to destroy it completely.......snip

Hah the Atlantic is a bunch of whiny greek letter frat/sorority weasels. Mom and dad bought them a fancy degree and they've had a life where they sat around all day complaining about why they are so special and why the hoi polloi won't listen to their proclamations they wrote while suffering personal mental health issues in the Hamptons because they didn't get a double pump of soy in their latte.

Hah the Atlantic is a bunch of whiny greek letter frat/sorority weasels. Mom and dad bought them a fancy degree and they've had a life where they sat around all day complaining about why they are so special and why the hoi polloi won't listen to their proclamations they wrote while suffering personal mental health issues in the Hamptons because they didn't get a double pump of soy in their latte.

I’m sure the Atlantic owner, Laurene Powell jobs (Steve jobs widow) has plenty of armed security around her. But like Bloomberg, that’s different. Lol

Yes, Bruen did. But NY ignored that and defined a stupid amount of sensitive places. I suspect FPC will win their case relatively quickly.
Whose to say they won't ignore the new case also?
Once the new law that they passed gets shot down, I believe they will follow the ruling.
I doubt that. The law will get smacked down. They may try passing another law that is more limited and roll the dice again.
...with a similar result.

Just happened to see this conversation from September. Haven't been following New York so closely anymore, but have to ask: so, how is all this working out? Did that win happen? Define "relatively quickly".

;-)

NYSRPA vs bruen is why Hawaii folded. The judge in the case made it quite clear to Hawaii, this the agreement. He’s not a lawyer and was fighting them Pro se for several years before Beck took the case. His case was one of the Grant vacate, remand from SCOTUS after the NYSRPA decision.

Read up on young, he was fighting as a promise to his daughter who died in a car accident. Reminds me a bit of Otis McDonald who took on Chicago’s gun ban over a decade ago. The little guys who wouldn’t be denied.
I'm sure Maura and her minions have read this decision and hopefully it will influence their future decisions whether to still f*** with us.

I don't give two shits how they feel. Probably not even a half'a'shit. I mean, how did racist attorneys feel about civil rights decisions in the 60's? 100% for it??? Seriously????

Rights are rights. Feelings are feelings. The Left CONTINUES to focus on feelings, not rights.
They are and always have been about the feelz

They are and always have been about the feelz
People are more likely to react (vote) to feelings than to facts.

It is the reason why people work to control names because if you can switch between one with an emotional element and one with out or back, you can control how many emotional votes you get. Death Tax - Inheritance Tax, Illegal Immigrant - Undocumented Immigrant, Modern Sporting Rifle - Assaut Rifle. Go one way to bring out your votes or the other way to keep opponents at home.

Asked and answered, scores of times in this thread.
"Relative" to the speed with which SCOTUS rules on other legal principles. Usually it takes years, if not decades. This won't take nearly that long.
It was "this" which I was asking about. So, maybe a couple months then? It has been a couple months since September, which is why I asked.

Back
Top Bottom