Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

It’s truly sickening, the extent to which anti-gun judiciaries will go to justify layer upon layer of gun laws. Maryland requires one to get a Handgun Qualification License (approved training course plus a background check, with a 30-day processing period) BEFORE one applies for permission to actually buy a handgun (a so-called 77R, that entails a 2nd repetition of the same background check, with a 7-day processing period). In essence, MD requires an application to initiate a NICS, which takes minutes in most cases.

That’s like saying, sure - you have a right to abortion on demand. Just apply and wait for an Abortion Qualification License. Then, with that AQL in hand, just apply for a permit to schedule that abortion at a clinic. “Online Abortions” (ordering Plan-B pills) require the same process.

It’s truly sickening, the extent to which anti-gun judiciaries will go to justify layer upon layer of gun laws
Did you even see the post about Washington state today?

Oh, and there is some new gun story all over the news today.

Top of the hour, go here and listen for 10 minutes. Click the white triangle inside the red circle to "listen live":

View attachment 851487

View: https://twitter.com/jeffcharlesjr/status/1734740242144325854

Mr. Taylor's Give-Send-Go effort:

He was convicted and is being held at Rikers Island awaiting his sentencing. This guy had no criminal record at all. He didn't shoot anyone, never threatened anyone, he just wanted to build a gun at home and now he's going to go to jail. I personally helped to support his legal defense because frankly it could be any of us. I think FPC might be picking up his appeal assuming his lawyers let him. This country and the sooner it either collapses or we can find politicians with the mighty brass b*lls with a guy like Javier Milei who will simply fire entire swaths of the government, the better.

He was convicted and is being held at Rikers Island awaiting his sentencing. This guy had no criminal record at all. He didn't shoot anyone, never threatened anyone, he just wanted to build a gun at home and now he's going to go to jail. I personally helped to support his legal defense because frankly it could be any of us. I think FPC might be picking up his appeal assuming his lawyers let him. This country and the sooner it either collapses or we can find politicians with the mighty brass b*lls with a guy like Javier Milei who will simply fire entire swaths of the government, the better.
"…members of the New York City Police Department identified Taylor as having ordered numerous ghost gun kits and component parts from various online retailers that were allegedly shipped to the defendant’s address…"

And how would they know that? The easiest way would be legal threats to online dealers to disclose shipments. The US Post Office scans to/from addresses, which can be used to ID vendors and recipients. It’s wouldn’t take much to create lists of people who receive packages from vendors that have a specific firearms focused business.

"…members of the New York City Police Department identified Taylor as having ordered numerous ghost gun kits and component parts from various online retailers that were allegedly shipped to the defendant’s address…"

And how would they know that? The easiest way would be legal threats to online dealers to disclose shipments. The US Post Office scans to/from addresses, which can be used to ID vendors and recipients. It’s wouldn’t take much to create lists of people who receive packages from vendors that have a specific firearms focused business.
This is definitely happening. What gets mailed from who to who is being tracked and at least regarding ghost guns and parts, the .gov is feeding this info down to the local police level.

Or?

An even easier way would be to get a search warrant for his computer. Once he was indicted, that would have been child's play. If he's anything like me, he's got emails from all sorts of online firearms retailers, special offers, order receipts, shipping confirmations, and delivery emails just sitting in his inbox.

I don't know if that's what happened, but it would have taken almost no effort at all for the detectives. And they wouldn't have needed to pick up the phone and talked to Newman at the post office.

Or?

An even easier way would be to get a search warrant for his computer. Once he was indicted, that would have been child's play. If he's anything like me, he's got emails from all sorts of online firearms retailers, special offers, order receipts, shipping confirmations, and delivery emails just sitting in his inbox.

I don't know if that's what happened, but it would have taken almost no effort at all for the detectives. And they wouldn't have needed to pick up the phone and talked to Newman at the post office.
When and how would they have developed the information to request that warrant? Was he publicly bragging about building these guns?

When and how would they have developed the information to request that warrant? Was he publicly bragging about building these guns?

Who knows? I'm not terribly familiar with the case, but all they needed to satisfy a judge was probable cause. They had at least that, if they indicted him.

I can think of several ways they might have found out. I have no idea whether the USPO helped in this case or not; I'm saying I can envision a bunch of alternative ways they could have developed that info.

Who knows? I'm not terribly familiar with the case, but all they needed to satisfy a judge was probable cause. They had at least that, if they indicted him.

I can think of several ways they might have found out. I have no idea whether the USPO helped in this case or not; I'm saying I can envision a bunch of alternative ways they could have developed that info.
The search warrant would have to be for evidence of a crime for which they already had probable cause, but it can't be for evidence they already have. If they already had his purchase history from the vendors, then they wouldn't need a search warrant for it.

Now if they had someone ratting him out but no actual evidence yet, then that could get them a search warrant for the purpose of finding the purchase records.

Back
Top Bottom