• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Thank you for clarifying. I don't think we are disagreeing here. I certainly am not trying to claim that the rights were/are limited to militia service. The point I am making is that the militia, not being part of the standing/professional army, but being made up of the ordinary able bodied men who kept their military style arms in their possesion, was intended to be well-outfitted. Being well-outfitted and well-equipped isn't limited to the "arm" itself. But includes all that goes along with being well equipped. Optics, slings, silencers, etc.

That the amendment was written in such a way to speciffically call out that the ordinary men not in the standing or professional army should be well-equipped, I think is very important. And an overlooked aspect in the debate of what type of weaponry individuals not in military service today have the right to keep and bare. And I think that firearms accessories clearly fall within the scope of what is considered to be well-regulated.
Yes, we are in violent agreement

How much time, talent and money do you dedicate to the cause?
Not to you directly but put up or shut up

I'm weary of quoting and explaining areas of law that would be completely understood by anyone of nominal intelligence who put even minimal effort into reading each of the major decisions pertaining to firearms regulation. It's not that much of an effort as one could read all of the decisions with applicable references in a short time by dedicating two hours a week for a month or two
I had to. [smile]

View: https://youtu.be/6gLMSf4afzo

Last edited:

I'm weary of quoting and explaining areas of law that would be completely understood by anyone of nominal intelligence who put even minimal effort into reading each of the major decisions pertaining to firearms regulation. It's not that much of an effort as one could read all of the decisions with applicable references in a short time by dedicating two hours a week for a month or two

Not that it matters, but I do donate regularly to the Second Amendment Foundation.

As for the rest of your post not sure what you're getting at.

Not that it matters, but I do donate regularly to the Second Amendment Foundation.

As for the rest of your post not sure what you're getting at.
That covers your money (treasure)

Talent: Do you offer to teach people without any firearms knowledge or experience? Or answer technical questions here?

Time: This is what I was getting to - spend a couple of hours to understand the legal arguments so that when you speak about firearm's law you can present a cogent argument.

That covers your money (treasure)

Talent: Do you offer to teach people without any firearms knowledge or experience? Or answer technical questions here?

Time: This is what I was getting to - spend a couple of hours to understand the legal arguments so that when you speak about firearm's law you can present a cogent argument.

I ask you, and specifically you a lot of questions about 2A legal stuff. Why? because you know your 2A legal stuff. I don't. Which is why I ask. Why do I ask? Because I want to learn. When you link me material I read it. I certainly don't understand a lot of it due to the nonsense legalease, however, I do make the attempt. Take the case that this threads about. I was wrong. You were right. And you put me on the right track as you have the toolset to effectively communicate it.

And what do you do? You gatekeep me. A guy who asks YOU questions so I can improve myself.

Jesus Christ

Drench has been “Scriv’d” as we would have said years ago… lawyerly smackdown.

If we have to lead horses to water again and again, it’s enough they continue to drink to suit our purposes. Patience…

I ask you, and specifically you a lot of questions about 2A legal stuff. Why? because you know your 2A legal stuff. I don't. Which is why I ask. Why do I ask? Because I want to learn. When you link me material I read it. I certainly don't understand a lot of it due to the nonsense legalease, however, I do make the attempt. Take the case that this threads about. I was wrong. You were right. And you put me on the right track as you have the toolset to effectively communicate it.

And what do you do? You gatekeep me. A guy who asks YOU questions so I can improve myself.

Jesus Christ
Understand - that's why I stated "Not to you directly"
I started reading into the laws and cases about a decade ago with no understanding of legal pleadings - I'm still not a scholar but I probably have several hundred hours of self directed study.
My point is that I believe most people don't understand the arguments presented simply because they don't know know a pleading is constructed by using previous cases to present a position.
Once that is understood, reading the documents around a case become much easier to understand and apply to other situations

Understand - that's why I stated "Not to you directly"
I started reading into the laws and cases about a decade ago with no understanding of legal pleadings - I'm still not a scholar but I probably have several hundred hours of self directed study.
My point is that I believe most people don't understand the arguments presented simply because they don't know know a pleading is constructed by using previous cases to present a position.
Once that is understood, reading the documents around a case become much easier to understand and apply to other situations

Ever think that people who aren't as smart as you like to lean on you for your opinion? That's where I'd say I fall into.

As long as you are willing to be named in the resulting case then do for it.
You could be among the great names we all know: Heller, McDonald, Caetano, Bruen and Dennis

F that. If that's the case, I'm getting a Howitzer. Maybe a civil war era mortar as well for good measure. If you're gonna go down swinging, go for the roundhouse.

It is not ridiculous. Remember the maxim "The power to tax is the power to destroy".

At the time NFA34 was passed, congress "knew" they could not ban what are now NFA weapons. The tax was designed to prevent ownership, not collect revenue. Based on Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2022 the current value of $200 in 1934 dollars is $4448.

I'm not familiar with an asbestos tax, but none of the taxes you list are at a multiple of 10x or so times the cost of the item being taxed, so your comparison of the NFA tax at the time of implementation to taxes designed to raise revenue, is not borne out by logic.

There is an interesting article on this at National Firearms Act of 1934 | Encyclopedia.com

Remeber what he actually said:

But in reality, their inclusion under 2a is the only thing that allows them to be restricted.

I say this is ridiculous because .gov restricts *LOTS* of things that aren't even remotely related to the 2nd amendment.

and in fact, inclusion of something as a weapon (firearm, especially) is the only reason any of us can cry, "but 2A!!" when .gov wants to restrict it.

For instance: lead paint. Is the manufacturer and use of lead paint restricted by the government? YES!
Is lead paint anywhere near the 2nd amendment? Nope.

Same is true for food and baby furniture and houses (remember the building code?) and cars and medicine and employment. Not all are *taxed* (although one might argue a building permit is essentially a tax, and required professional licensing sure smells like a tax, or at least an infringement.)

So the assertion that "inclusion under 2a is the only thing that allows something to be restricted" is facially false.

Swap out "regulated" or "taxed" for "restricted" if you like, in this context they're essentially equivalent.

OK, so I'm going to have to generalize a bit, too many posts to quote.

@pastera seems to be saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, that suppressors are under 2a because past legislation and case law says so. Well I started with the pretense that this was the problem. That it is a "just because" loop without any logical step by step process that makes them an arm (covered under 2a).

As for them not being an arm but covered under 2a, whatever, I'm pretty much using them interchangeably. If it makes a difference to you, my use of arm means covered under 2a, and my use of 2a means an arm.

For those that say the gov can regulate anything. Not entirely correct. Without a law allowing them to regulate something NO they can not. The ATF cannot just start regulating trucks because they don't like them. And if they claim they are a weapon (an arm) then they would fall under 2a and that would limit what they can do.

The gov certainly can try to pass a new laws giving them the ability to regulate anything. And they do it all the time. But there always has to be at least a pretense as to why. Chemnicals and other things that are not arms/weapons are usually argued to be dangerous, and this would not make them covered under 2a. But if suppressors were not arms, what would the gov claim is the reason to regulate them? If they say they enhance the use of a firearm, BINGO they now fall under 2a. They need to find a reason that has nothing to do with their use on a gun.

So tell me, what is the reason the gov NEEDS to regulate suppressors that is NOT because they enhance the use of a firearm. And that NFA says so is not proof, it was passed on the idea that gangsters or assassins would use them to make guns silent, at a time when real data was both more difficult to get and the myth was hard to disprove. Today we have piles of verifiable data that says they are not used in crimes to any significant degree, and the affect they have can be clearly demonstrated.

As for those that say the law is what it is so none of this matters. Well of courser the law is what it is, I'm not saying otherwise. The whole point of this is the laws are wrong. Not the interpretation or enforcement of the laws, but the laws themselves. And I'm asking for a logical reason why they are right/ Something that stands on it's own and doesn't rely om some other opinion or unsupported law.

F that. If that's the case, I'm getting a Howitzer. Maybe a civil war era mortar as well for good measure. If you're gonna go down swinging, go for the roundhouse.
1670017248017.png

Without a law allowing them to regulate something NO they can not. The ATF cannot just start regulating trucks because they don't like them. And if they claim they are a weapon (an arm) then they would fall under 2a and that would limit what they can do.
Wasn't there something about rubber bands being a machine gun? What about pistol braces? I don't follow the ins and outs of either of those, but recall seeing something about those here somewhere on NES.

Amazing logic - the State sets as default you cannot exercise your rights (by deciding whether you wish to prohibit or allow firearms on your propertY) and all you have to do is positively assert, by posting in writing, your intention to exercise your rights (requiring you to post your permission).

Finally addressing the elephant in the room, the court observed that New York pointed out that private property owners have always been able to exclude guns. Yes, said the court, “ut that right has always been one belonging to the private property owner—not to the State. It is the property owner who must exercise that right—not the State.” Yet it seems clear to me that setting a default rule by statute is not exercising the right to exclude; after all, New York freely allows these property owners to opt-in to be a gun-friendly zone…

If the state can “vindicate[]” the right of property owners to exclude after the fact by arresting and prosecuting trespassers (i.e., those who carry over objection), why can’t it vindicate that interest ex ante by establishing a default rule that serves that interest and still allows property owners who desire guns on their property to opt-in?

Ask yourself why the NFA didn't ban items outright but only taxed the possession of them?
Because at the time people understood that those items were protected and the legislature went as far as they felt they could without having the law overturned.
Some people still understand that, and advocate things like 10,000% taxation on ammunition.

OK, but isn't it true that Heller has been ignored completely in many places. SOL there, then?

How long did it take for a significant portion of the population to be recognized as full and free people? 1791 -> 1964
How long did it take after desegregation and civil rights were the law, before those were fully recognized everywhere?

Rights denied are still rights.

Feel free. No federal law against either one. The howitzer would be registered as a Destructive Device under NFA, but a black powder mortar isn't restricted at all (YMMV in Massachusetts).

I know some people rag on this kid for his awkward delivery, but I like him and found he does have a sense of humor about himself, as proven last video when answering a viewer question with, “Of course I’m not wearing pants, why would I, you can only see me from the waist up.’

Anyway he put out a new video this evening explaining California’s arguments in their new Miller v. Bonta supplemental briefs. Also expressing his opinion that Benitez will release an opinion probably within 30 days now that Benitez denied California’s extension request and all briefs and responses have been filed.

🐯

“We really don’t think we’ll enforce our law” doesn’t cut the mustard in Miller v. Bonta, decided yesterday by Judge Roger Benitez (S.D. Cal.)

I agree - My response was pointing out that the legal system is slow to correct injustices
And my post was agreeing with you about that.

After decades of post-Miller courts refusing to recognize 2A rights, all of a sudden people think Heller, McDonald, and Bruen were supposed to mean all gun laws vanish overnight.

That's not how reality works.

And my post was agreeing with you about that.

After decades of post-Miller courts refusing to recognize 2A rights, all of a sudden people think Heller, McDonald, and Bruen were supposed to mean all gun laws vanish overnight.

That's not how reality works.
At 53 I think I may see Miller crushed and GCA/NFA destroyed but the fight is for my children and, hopefully, grandchildren.

The more liberals present originalist arguments, the more they legitimate originalism rather than refuting it and offering a compelling alternative… Originalism may not yet be the undisputed law of the land. There is a pull and tug among the conservative justices over what deference is due to precedents not grounded in originalism…

Let’s just hope gun control advocates follow WaPo’s advice and tells the judges “Screw Originalist historical analogies - we’re going back to the Rational Basis Test!”

Bianchi vs Frosh, AWB and mag limit case, 4th circuit court of appeals. Panel is a GHW bush judge, an Obama judge who previously voted to uphold an AWB pre NYSRPA and a trump judge

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blpt4hVf_0M

Arguments started about an hour ago.

The woman judge speaking is Thacker , who was in the en banc majority in the previous case, Kolbe. Can’t tell she s doesn’t give a damn about the SCOTUS NYSRPA decision. She still wants interest balancing bs. She’s an activist pos.

Last edited:
The arrogance of the Maryland assistant AG is hilarious. These state lawyers really don’t like not having the bs two step interest balancing test which was a cake walk to uphold any gun law. Now they need to have a real legal reasoning and they don’t like it.

The HW Bush and trump judge definitely sound unfavorable to Marylands position.

Will the Bruen decision effect towns/cities creating anti-gun zoning rules to stop gun stores from opening?

Like in Newton, they would not be able to cite "public safety" as an excuse to stop a gun shop from opening?

Will the Bruen decision effect towns/cities creating anti-gun zoning rules to stop gun stores from opening?

Like in Newton, they would not be able to cite "public safety" as an excuse to stop a gun shop from opening?

If the law implicates the 2nd amendment, the law must be analogous to gun laws in 1791 or 1865. Since those laws in Newton, etc do implicate the 2nd amendment, the burden is on them to prove the law is analogous to one’s from 1791 and 1865. They will fail to show historical evidence of similar laws. The only thing I know of is some cities had, essentially fire regulations, limiting the amount of gun powder one could store at their house. Any extra gun powder needed to be stored in another location. Obviously gun powder was much less stable than now and fire departments and fire protection didn’t really exist back then

Back
Top Bottom