• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suppressors

Franco,

Does it work? Sort of.

A 1 or 2 litter bottle actually works better, again for 1 shot (though not nearly as good as shown in Steven Segal's Alaskan Oil Rig Movie)

As pointed out, It is illegal to attach anything to a firearm for the purpose of muffling or masking the report of the rifle without BATFE permission to build a suppressor and anyone who wants to file for a tax stamp to build a suppressor out of a 2L bottle needs something better to do with there money.

thanks for the warning, so if i have a rubber party ballon in my safe near my firearms is that going to be constructive possesion. i bet the dumb MA AG would say yes.

this may sound stupid, but my co-worker(a fudd) told me to try a ballon on the muzzle end of a .22lr as a suppressor. it works good only for one shot though obviously. i still havent tried anybody know if this works?

except that the way the law is worded could get you in SERIOUS trouble.

ANY device intended to reduce to noise produced by a firearm is considered a suppressor. poland springs bottle? suppressor. balloon? suppressor. pillow? (attachment would be entertaining to watch)...suppressor.

intended is the key word here. i suppose you could test to see if the gasses escaping from the barrel would blow the ballon up for you (perhaps with unintended consequences)...but TRYING to "suppress" the sound without that tax stamp is a BAD idea.

edit. wow. note to self, dont click "reply" then walk away for 15 minutes before hitting submit.

intended is the key word here. i suppose you could test to see if the gasses escaping from the barrel would blow the ballon up for you (perhaps with unintended consequences)...but TRYING to "suppress" the sound without that tax stamp is a BAD idea.
"But occifer, I was trying to make it louder, I swear!"

[laugh]

So After reading everything in here I just wanna be clear. There is no way to legally obtain a supressor for a rifle here in massachusetts? Assuming I am correct there. I noticed a few people from NH said they had one. Is it possible to use on in that state if I have a permit there, though I live in Mass?

No cannot use it or possess it in MA. even if you are from another state they are legal in.
I am not sure how you would go about doing a form 1 or form 4 in a state you are not a resident in.
Seems to me this could not be done.

Last edited:

Straight and to the Point. Thanks. Guess I'll just need to get used to the noise.

one last question. IF I were to buy a rifle from out of state That had the barrel threaded for a Supressor, would that make that gun illegal here in Mass. I'm only asking because I've seen a lot of rifles for sale from out of state and the supressor seems to be a pretty common thing to attach in other states.

Last edited:
one last question. IF I were to buy a rifle from out of state That had the barrel threaded for a Supressor, would that make that gun illegal here in Mass. I'm only asking because I've seen a lot of rifles for sale from out of state and the supressor seems to be a pretty common thing to attach in other states.

Depends on what the rifle is. If it's a postban AR, then you'd drive the evil feature count too high by having accessible threads. On something like a
bolt action rifle, the threads don't matter at all.

Of course, this has nothing to do with suppressors specifically and everything to do with the dumb MA assault weapons ban.

-Mike

I would suggest finding some of the Small Arms Review mags, They have done a TON of suppressor comparisons over the years and if you are thinking of picking one up. That would be a great place to start to educate yourself as to what is out there and what is the best bang for the buck..

I am not sure how you would go about doing a form 1 or form 4 in a state you are not a resident in.
Seems to me this could not be done.

#1. ATF recognizes "dual residency" for the purposes of NFA.

#2 if you don't qualify for the above, you still have another option, you start a corporation/trust/etc in that state (may require some property or at minimum a physical address, talk to a lawyer), and that corporation/trust/etc can buy/make the items you want that are legal in that state.

#1. ATF recognizes "dual residency" for the purposes of NFA.

#2 if you don't qualify for the above, you still have another option, you start a corporation/trust/etc in that state (may require some property or at minimum a physical address, talk to a lawyer), and that corporation/trust/etc can buy/make the items you want that are legal in that state.

Then, of course, the poor guy could only use his suppressor in that state, or perhaps others, but still not in Mass. Might be easier to have a relative or good buddy in a free state aquire the item and be the legal owner. Then he could go to that state and go shooting with the owner. PITA, but doable if one wants to shoot suppressed badly enough. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom