• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for real world info on two suppressors...

I live alone as it stands. So sounds like a trust really won't do much for me. I was thinking that it would make buying more items easier down the road. But if that's not really the case, and if the per item process is easy enough, I'll just go that route. As I mentioned, I need to do some more research before I do anything (either way).

I live alone as it stands. So sounds like a trust really won't do much for me. I was thinking that it would make buying more items easier down the road. But if that's not really the case, and if the per item process is easy enough, I'll just go that route. As I mentioned, I need to do some more research before I do anything (either way).
I don’t know how old you are or what your life situation is but consider the future. If you ever plan on getting married or having kids or family members you would like to inherit your stuff. There are other ways to do this but the trust can set it up where they can possess items anytime or whatever the trust says.

A trust can still be used even if you’re the sole person listed on it but leaves opportunity to change things later.

As an individual you are stuck unless you do another NFA transfer ($200) into a trust or other entity.

I'm already over 50... If, by some miracle, I find someone willing to put up with me (doesn't want me to change, since that's NOT happening) and we get married, I'll deal with it.

As I mentioned, I need to do some more research before I start the process on any tax stamps.

A can is capable of being transferred later if needed.

It’s a very distant possibility that they get removed. My trust can still take any guns I want at anytime so time will tell.

Imo it’s the way to go. it opens more doors than it closes to me. I have 3 SBR’s in trusts with a 4th being built and all my suppressors in trusts. I wanted the option of adding responsible persons or not.

Perhaps someone mentioned it and I missed it, but check out PewScience.com for data on supressors. The guy that runs it is a shooter and I believe he has an engineering background.

As part of the 'preparation' stage, I'm looking to convert the two shorter barrel builds from GI to piston system. About to order for the 300Blk (pistol length setup) from Adams Arms (light BCG too). Might go with their setup for the carbine length for the 5.56 shortie too. Or one from Superlative Arms (via Joe Bob Outfitters).

From what I've been seeing, gas from shorter barrels, when suppressed, tends to go back towards the shooter more. Causing an increase in db levels at the shooter with longer suppressors. Having the piston system should help mitigate that. Plus it has other benefits.

As part of the 'preparation' stage, I'm looking to convert the two shorter barrel builds from GI to piston system. About to order for the 300Blk (pistol length setup) from Adams Arms (light BCG too). Might go with their setup for the carbine length for the 5.56 shortie too. Or one from Superlative Arms (via Joe Bob Outfitters).

From what I've been seeing, gas from shorter barrels, when suppressed, tends to go back towards the shooter more. Causing an increase in db levels at the shooter with longer suppressors. Having the piston system should help mitigate that. Plus it has other benefits.
What is your goal? Need to define that first.

I still need to setup the NFA trust, then (most likely) get some SBR stamps before I go for my first suppressor. Also starting to think it might be better to get one dedicated for 5.56, another for 7.62 (both Winchester and 300 Blackout), one for 9mm (PCC and pistol since I plan to get a suppressor ready pistol at some point) then one for 22LR (10/22 and going to see a smith about threading the barrel on my 22/45).

SBR stamps are probably more important at this point. Then get a house (further away from the PRM border) before I start getting suppressors.

As for the 'goal' for suppressors, it's to mitigate sound to me when shooting. Right now I'm doubling up ear pro when shooting the ARs. Even the one with a flash hider (short barreled/pistol build). Even if I need to continue using ear pro with the suppressor mounted, going down to just plugs would be a win. I'd like something that can be 'movie quiet' with subsonic rounds (300blk, 9mm and 22LR).

I'm finding so many suppressors out there now, from different companies, that's it's not easy to pick. I'm also looking for good quick mounts that I can utilize. Prefer to have those in HUB configurations so that I can apply muzzle devices to different firearms that they'll mount to and not need to worry about things. I'll install devices on each one, not try to move the muzzle device between same caliber barrels at the range. Or even the day before, or morning before, going to shoot them. The Dead Air Xeno mount looks good, but I'm not sold on their muzzle break design. Granted, I'll probably shoot more suppressed than not suppressed once I get the caliber can.

It opens a whole new world. It’s like crack for me. For me anything I am going to possibly shoot unsuppressed for my shorter rigs I put flash hiders on. Brakes go on anything longer than 16” or anything 100% suppressed. It was just too punishing to shoot short rigs with brakes unsuppressed for me. I didn’t enjoy it. ymmv

This is just my list and there are so many great options these days. I’m always looking to try something new, but for 22lr I went Mask HD and 22TD. 9mm: Obsidian9, Omega9k and Wolfman. 556: RC2, Mini2, TurboT2, TurboK, Recce5, Ultra 7. 30cal: SandmanS, Sandman L, Nomad, Nomad L, OSS HX-QD, Ultra 9. for bigger cans I have a Obsidian 45, Sico Hybrid. Have a Sierra-5 backordered. Will probably grab some CGS next. They are all good and all different imo.

Keep in mind unless your hearing is already shot. shooting anything supersonic will require ear pro. only 22lr subsonic and 300blk sub verge on movie quiet. 9mm sub will be quieter depending on the host but can still be substantial. And always shoot 556 with ear pro.

It opens a whole new world. It’s like crack for me. For me anything I am going to possibly shoot unsuppressed for my shorter rigs I put flash hiders on. Brakes go on anything longer than 16” or anything 100% suppressed. It was just too punishing to shoot short rigs with brakes unsuppressed for me. I didn’t enjoy it. ymmv

This is just my list and there are so many great options these days. I’m always looking to try something new, but for 22lr I went Mask HD and 22TD. 9mm: Obsidian9, Omega9k and Wolfman. 556: RC2, Mini2, TurboT2, TurboK, Recce5, Ultra 7. 30cal: SandmanS, Sandman L, Nomad, Nomad L, OSS HX-QD, Ultra 9. for bigger cans I have a Obsidian 45, Sico Hybrid. Have a Sierra-5 backordered. Will probably grab some CGS next. They are all good and all different imo.

Keep in mind unless your hearing is already shot. shooting anything supersonic will require ear pro. only 22lr subsonic and 300blk sub verge on movie quiet. 9mm sub will be quieter depending on the host but can still be substantial. And always shoot 556 with ear pro.
You forgot .45ACP

You forgot .45ACP
Obsidian45, Sico Hybrid can run 45acp. but that caliber wasn’t on Golddiggie’s want list so I just listed it as “bigger cans”

Unless you’re talking about the ear pro. for me 45 was louder than subsonic 9mm. atleast with the Obsidian45 and a Glock21.

I wasn't planning to suppress any of my 45ACP firearms. Three don't have threaded barrels. IF I keep the fourth, I might be able to use a suppressor on it. That's too up in the air to think about right now. I could see getting something in the future that I could suppress though. IIRC, some of the 9mm cans I've seen would also work with 45ACP.

I wasn't planning to suppress any of my 45ACP firearms. Three don't have threaded barrels. IF I keep the fourth, I might be able to use a suppressor on it. That's too up in the air to think about right now. I could see getting something in the future that I could suppress though. IIRC, some of the 9mm cans I've seen would also work with 45ACP.
:) Once you start down the suppressed route. You will start looking at hosts to buy/build as “Will it take a can?”

Careful putting 45’s through a 9mm can. Good way to blow a can up or worse.

You’ll enjoy whatever cans you end up going with. It is the “civilized” way of shooting.

Anyone running a SilencerCo can with one of their ASR mounts? Or using that mount with another make/model can?
I've seen some vids of people using the keymo mount and having issues with it staying secure. Granted, people don't post up when things go correctly, only when things fail. Which means it's probably good 99.99X% of the time.

Anyone running a SilencerCo can with one of their ASR mounts? Or using that mount with another make/model can?
I've seen some vids of people using the keymo mount and having issues with it staying secure. Granted, people don't post up when things go correctly, only when things fail. Which means it's probably good 99.99X% of the time.
Would you PM any of the vids you found for Keymo issues that are swaying your opinion? Always looking for more info.
I’m leaning towards shorter lighter next. Leaning Xeno in that I feel like DA will license this out to more muzzle device manufacturers.

Phew this makes me want to go out shooting. Gotta study though.

You want me to hunt down the vid(s) I've watched since creating this thread for that?? Yeah, don't got no TIME for dat... [rofl2]
IF I happen to stumble upon one, I'll try to remember to send it over.

You want me to hunt down the vid(s) I've watched since creating this thread for that?? Yeah, don't got no TIME for dat... [rofl2]
IF I happen to stumble upon one, I'll try to remember to send it over.
lmao, was only a “if you had them handy”. I searched around but didn’t find any about Keymo failures. I saw some forum mentions of issues with 3rd party mounts a while back being out of spec. Or someone not fully seating the Keymo to the back of the mount before trying to torque it down but nothing about them coming loose. Other than JRT’s observations. So am curious since I have them on a few rifles.

IME, someone having 'real world' time on the items is worth more than one yahoo on the tuber saying he had it come loose on him.
From what I've seen, the main detraction from going keymo is how you have to clock the mounts with shims/spacers. It would suck [more] if I didn't have the MWI receiver rods for both AR10 and AR15 uppers now.
I'm going to try and go to some shops over the coming weekends to see what they have and get a better idear as to what should work well for me. I'm liking what SilencerCo has for modular cans. Their Omega 36M, Hybrid 46M and Switchback 22 look nice.
I'm still planning to convert my 300Blk (shortie) upper over to piston as well as the short 5.56 upper. I'll decide, later, if I'm going to do that with any of the carbine length AR15 setups. Wish I could get conversion kits for AR10 (DPMS pattern) uppers. Oh well.

fwiw I like the Accu-Washer Shim system for mounting/timing my devices. Much easier imo than using the standard shims or peel washers. You don’t have to time the keymo flash hiders only the brakes which you should do with any brake anyways. all timing the flash hider does is put the mount indexing notch in the same place for the different hosts. no functional need.

lmao, was only a “if you had them handy”. I searched around but didn’t find any about Keymo failures. I saw some forum mentions of issues with 3rd party mounts a while back being out of spec. Or someone not fully seating the Keymo to the back of the mount before trying to torque it down but nothing about them coming loose. Other than JRT’s observations. So am curious since I have them on a few rifles.

They will never fail when properly attached, the problem with KeyMo seems to be people thinking they are properly attached. A good percentage of launched cans and baffle strikes over at r/NFA are KeyMo. Yes that community is mostly retarded but a mount should be retard proof, mostly.

I hate KeyMo because it’s long and heavy and 50% of my 13 Dead Air silencers had quality issues. I’m just done with Dead Air. They make one or two good silencers I’ll continue to run, there are way better choices these days.

Back
Top Bottom