• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestion on .357/.38 lever action

Looking to expand my collection because I feel like I have everything I want. Looking for some suggestions on a lever action under $500 I don't want to spend too much on my first one because I might not enjoy it as much as I think. Any input and pictures would be appreciated

I didn't think I needed anything else either but when I saw this one it was a done deal...

I just bought a Rossi .38/.357 16" model 92 stainless lever gun at Collector's for $549 so the blue model must be under $500. I plan to go try it out this weekend.

I have a Rossi. It's accurate but a PITA to disassemble/reassemble. It's accurate as hell. I carry it in the woods when I'm scouting cuz it was relatively cheap and if it gets beat up I won't care.

Last edited:
Looking to expand my collection because I feel like I have everything I want. Looking for some suggestions on a lever action under $500 I don't want to spend too much on my first one because I might not enjoy it as much as I think. Any input and pictures would be appreciated
Lever actions in .357 tend to jam if the overall length of the cartridge is not just right. Major problems can be had with SWC or other flat-nosed bullets. That said, you may wish to check out the Ruger M77/357 bolt-action. Very reliable and accurate. Easy to disassemble and clean.

I have 3 lever guns, Winchester 92 limited edition in 45C, Marlin '94 in 38/357, and a Rossi '92 in 45C. The only one with any issues with OAL is the Rossi. In fact I ran 45 Schofield rounds in the Winchester (so I could get 10 rounds in tube) it worked great unless I went Arnold on the lever.
The 1892's can be a little finicky, but the '94 is designed for 38 sp and 357. We have shot thousands of rounds out of the Marlin and don't believe I have ever had an issue (other than short stroking, which results in no live round, not a jam.)
A nice used Marlin would be my choice

+1 on the Marlin 1894 in 38/357. Reliable and accurate. Take down and reassemble nice and easy. Most importantly it's fun to shoot.

Definitely look around for a used Marlin 1894 near your price range. I had one once and always regret having sold it. Put a Lyman adjustable peep sight on it and you're good to go.

-Sean

Lever actions in .357 tend to jam if the overall length of the cartridge is not just right. Major problems can be had with SWC or other flat-nosed bullets. That said, you may wish to check out the Ruger M77/357 bolt-action. Very reliable and accurate. Easy to disassemble and clean.

The M77/357 is worth saving up for. I traded my 1894 for it and never looked back. I love it.

Lever actions in .357 tend to jam if the overall length of the cartridge is not just right. Major problems can be had with SWC or other flat-nosed bullets.

I wouldn't say this is inherent of all lever guns in this caliber, my Marlin 1894C functions fine with both .38's and .357's. However, Model 92 variants in this caliber are known to be problematic. They tend to be very finicky about cartridge OAL and absolutely show a preference for either .38's or .357's. Very few 92's perform flawlessly with both.
I have a Browning B-92 in .357, which is a fabulous rifle, and performs flawlessly with .357's, but it chokes consistently if I load it with .38's. Then I had an early Rossi Puma in .357 which didn't work worth a crap with either .38's or .357's.
For some reason all the 92's I've seen with problems are all chambered in this caliber. I have one in .44sp/.44m that works perfectly with either cartridge and isn't affected by the OAL difference between the two cartridges.

Another advantage to the Marlin is the side ejection, which makes scope mounting far easier than on a Model 92, also takedown for cleaning is much simpler too.

Yeah as others stated, if you want to stay at around $500 then a Rossi is probably your best bet. I don't have any experience with Rossi. If you were willing to spend a couple hundred dollars more I'd tell you go for the Henry big boy, love mine. The only things I'm not a fan of but can deal with, are the weight and the tubular feed design, otherwise it's a great rifle.

Grabagun.com has different Rossi's in stock and only $5.99 for shipping. I got my Henry from them last year:

http://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles/lever-bolt-1.html?caliber=2779&manufacturer=3061

Good luck. I've been looking for an 1894 C for a while now. Can't seem to find one for less than around $900.
I'm tempted by Rossi due to the price, but Rossi = Taurus, and a Taurus will never come anywhere near my safe!
I hear good things about the Henrys, but that brass is gaudy as hell in my opinion. Plus they don't use a King's loading gate. I don't know, the thought of loading a .357 like a .22 bugs me.
So, one of you guys here is going to have to sell me one of your Marlins!

I hear good things about the Henrys, but that brass is gaudy as hell in my opinion. Plus they don't use a King's loading gate. I don't know, the thought of loading a .357 like a .22 bugs me.
So, one of you guys here is going to have to sell me one of your Marlins!

I said this in one of the other lever gun threads, but I like the tube loading on the Henry.
I find it easier to load up, and you don't pinch your fingertip in a loading gate.
Plus, if for some reason you have to unload it, just pull the tube out, tilt the gun down and out they come.
You can't do that with a side loading gate, and jacking every round through the action isn't the safest way to remove live rounds.

Back
Top Bottom