Stray bullet from angle tree hits house

It very well could be this. It sure seems suspicious from what they showed on TV it appears to be highly unlikely it could have come from the range. Also the fact that the club has been there for several decades and nothing happened before but now there have been a couple of incidents.

This is an anti shooting the houses to get the club shut down.

/thread

Having family in that area, they alway are amazed at the amount of fire going on at the range recently (even after dark now-a-days). My suspicion is that due to the increase of volume, you are having the moonbats in the area concocting ways to get it shut down. It is right off a main road and surrounded by neighborhoods, and close to two schools. The soccer moms are becoming terrified [hmmm]

I don't know how it could happen at this particular range though, they only allow 5 bullets in the magazine... for safety. Maximum geigh.

From what I've read a 230gr .45acp round fired at the correct angle can travel close to 1800 meters. If that angle is possible underneath that firing line is another story.

It very well could be this. It sure seems suspicious from what they showed on TV it appears to be highly unlikely it could have come from the range. Also the fact that the club has been there for several decades and nothing happened before but now there have been a couple of incidents.

It wouldn't be the first time in MA where someone outside of a range shot buildings in an attempt to get the range shut down.

It wouldn't be the first time in MA where someone outside of a range shot buildings in an attempt to get the range shut down.

If I recall, this same thing happened at Angletree a few years ago, maybe 5-10. But an investigation proved a homeowner hammered a slug into the side of his own house.....Maybe multiple homeowners in on the act this time ???

If I recall, this same thing happened at Angletree a few years ago, maybe 5-10. But an investigation proved a homeowner hammered a slug into the side of his own house.....Maybe multiple homeowners in on the act this time ???

Doesn't need to be multiple people involved.

True and unfortunately it won't be the last. If an anti/s did this it would be great if they get caught.

What the **** does Ted Oven know about [STRIKE=undefined]math[/STRIKE] ANYTHING? Lol

FIFY

Yup, happened at BR&P a few times. With 99.999999% certainty the bullets were fired from a RR right of way using the building as a backstop. But the club took the heat and spent 10s of thousands of dollars to ensure it couldn't happen again plus instituting ROs required so we have "witnesses" that no chicanery occurred the next time we get blamed.

Not even sure it was a .45 that went into the house. When the incident allegedly happened there was pin shooting going on and the news says they were using .45.

Year, it was a .45 fired out of an Glock AR-47. The news media can't tell their arses from a hole in the ground, let alone know anything about firearms.

From Sierra's ballistics calculator:

"The maximum range of your Sierra Bullets .4515 dia. (45 cal) 230 gr. FMJ Match at 850 Feet per Second.
is: 2133.8 yards at an elevation angle of 32 degrees with a reference axis angle of 0 degrees.
You selected Standard Atmospherics of: Humidity = 78 %, Temperature = 59 ° F and a Pressure = 29.53 in/Hg.
Your Firing Point Altitude was: 1500 feet"

At 1000 yards it would still be going about 480.8 fps with 118.1 ft/lbs of energy. (Certainly enough to break a window.)

(That's assuming a pretty standard hardball load. I don't know what people use for pins.)

Last edited:
I just ran it through Hornady's calculator assuming 230 gr ball ammo and firing at 45 degrees. Maybe I slept too long but the numbers don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe if I had the energy to graph it...

Your Input Variables

Ballistic Coefficient0.188Velocity (ft/s)850Weight (grains)230
Maximum Range (yds)2000Interval (yds)100Drag FunctionG1
Sight Height (inches)1.5Shooting Angle (degrees)45Zero Range (yds)25
Wind Speed (mph)0Wind Angle (degrees)90Altitude (ft)0
Pressure (hg)29.53Temperature (F)59Humidity (%)0.78
Ballistics Results

RANGE(YARDS)VELOCITY(FPS)ENERGY(FT.-LB.)TRAJECTORY(IN)COME UP IN MOACOME UP IN MILSWIND DRIFT(IN)WIND DRIFT IN MOAWIND DRIFT IN MILS
Muzzle850369-1.500000
100782312-7.47.12.1000
200722266-53.725.67.5000
300666226-148.247.113.7000
400613192-299.871.620.8000
500563162-520.999.428.9000
600515135-825.2131.238.2000
700469112-1232.616848.9000
80042492-1768.3210.861.3000
90038274-2470.6261.676.1000
100034159-3389.9322.793.9000
110030247-4610.7398.4115.9000
120026636-6271.5495.6144.2000
130023428-8656.1628.7182.9000
140021223-12525.3837.3243.6000
Muzzle00000000
Muzzle00000000
Muzzle00000000
Muzzle00000000
Muzzle00000000
Muzzle00000000

Sure the ballistics as shown makes the round capable of reaching the house except that if it was a ricochet off of a bowling pin it would have lost a far amount of energy. The bullet would also show a smear of plastic from the pin as well.

Curious how this one plays out.

Sure the ballistics as shown makes the round capable of reaching the house except that if it was a ricochet off of a bowling pin it would have lost a far amount of energy. The bullet would also show a smear of plastic from the pin as well.

I'd like to see the bullet having no rifling marks [grin].

I doubt it was a ricochet.

It's a 2 stage cartridge[smile].
duplx.jpg

If the address for the guy mentioned in the article is the one Google turned up (Towne St,) it looks to me like he's behind the firing point on the other side of 95.

I doubt it was a ricochet.

Particularly if it's a 45... I've shot scads of .45s at bowling pins, and even the high velocity ones don't go very far after bouncing out of the pin. Hell we used to watch them land behind the firing line. One time I watched a guy get hit in the nads by a ricochet 230 gr slug. He grimaced a bit but no serious injury.

-Mike

If the address for the guy mentioned in the article is the one Google turned up (Towne St,) it looks to me like he's behind the firing point on the other side of 95.

according to town GIS, there's a WHITE DANNY R + CHRISTINE E at 5 CHRIS DR in the neighborhood in question. Leave it up to a reporter to screw it up.

also, no schools really nearby. There's a private preschool about 1/2 mile south, and Feehan is about a mile SSW. Nearest schools are Martin on Landry Drive near Rte 152 and Falls near Elm St.

It is not shotgun or muzzleloader season for deer yet. (Next week)

There is the bear or coyote seasons - but given other options are available, .45 muzzleloader wouldn't be my first choice.

They showed a bullet on a floor in the beginning of the video - looks more like a .45 (acp) pistol round than a muzzleloader bullet to me.
Its technically still possible that somebody could have been hunting something with a .45acp, but still unlikely I think.

At the end of the video one homeowner states
"All the math in the world is not going to convince me it didn't come from the range"
Cool dude, I guess we know what your agenda is.

It may not be the season but hunters should, and some are, re-checking their zero prior to the season. I have already done mine and my ML is already loaded for the season.

When I clean my ML after re-checking zero for the season. Usually load it after I clean it. I also place a note stapled around the cleaning rod to remind me that it is loaded and what the load is.

Could also be a saboted round out of a shotgun. With the season opening on Monday I am sure that the ranges are pretty busy. That's why I re-check my zero well before the season so I don't have to deal with the lunacy at the range this time of the year.

Most of these issues are caused by a dumb ass shooting at a target that is sitting on the ground.

Bob

Sun chronicle supposedly has photos taken by the home owner of the bullet

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...a66-8661-4934736fa1c2.html?mode=image&photo=2

Does that look like a .45 thou you? Looks too elongated to me. More like a .380 shape wise.

all speculative I know and just looking at the one pic provided but if looking through that hole in the window to the screen and tracking it back it runs right into a branch on the tree. even so..dismissing that...there doesn't appear to be any downward angle to the trajectory. I would assume that coming that distance from the range there would need to be a significant arc for a .45 acp.

Wonder how soon they will be able to make a determination as to where the bullet originated...

If it was, the round had to have an awful lot of talent to maneuver through all of those trees or make a perfect arc over them before striking the house.

If some idiot was holding a gun that was pointing over the treeline, and had a ND, it certainly could happen.

Back
Top Bottom