• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stray bullet from angle tree hits house

At Angle Tree, there is no overhead steel on the pistol range, only the rifle range. Technically an angled shot is possible in that case.

If some idiot was holding a gun that was pointing over the treeline, and had a ND, it certainly could happen.

As one of the fudds that was there at that pin shoot I can tell you that'd be pretty damn impossible for it to go up given where we were shooting from on the line and the steel plates overhead and the berm behind. And I can't say that the berm is 60' high but it's pretty damn high. Only way I could say it was possible was if it was a ricochet, but a ricochet would lose a lot of energy on the pins. People were firing more downward at those pins.

Using the pencil as reference, it does appear to be a 45

2500 feet from 50yd line to the house - ballistics calculator puts that at 3.4° up angle with a max height of about 42'

The problem here is assuming a starting height of 5' that would put the bullet at 14' at the berm. To get over a 20' berm the start angle would need to be at least 5.7° and the bullet would need to be travelling around 620 FPS to hit the house (max height of about 62')

Definitely possible to do but looking at the image of the window it looks a lot like it came from the tree line down the street.
Would like to know where the bullet landed in the house.

Last edited:
So I spoke to Ted Oven today. (I live 2 miles from both Angle Tree and his shop).

I kiddingly asked him why he's making such a ruckus over at the range. So, Ted showed me the ballistics data on a .45, going over a 35ft tall berm, 60 yards away... not really a chance that could of happened. He also showed me the data of a ricochet (given the % of the energy that would be lost), not even close for the round to have travel that far. Also, there is acres of trees between the range and Chris Dr. The police chief reviewed the ballistics data and did not find a reason to stop shooting at the range.

The bullet was a FMJ, but had a large dent in the side of it. They had been shooting bowling pins and Ted showed me the video of him shooting - there were 2 range officers standing on either side of him. He thought the shoot went very well and without incident. There are steel plates that shield the shooter from seeing the sky over the top of the berm from the line - basically, you would have to do something stupid to shoot over the berm from the line - as previously indicated by those that shoot there.

Ted said he visited with the homeowners (who were very nice he claimed) and saw the screen and window. Interestingly the mirror close by on the inside of the room was untouched. He tried to explain the ballistics to the homeowner, but not sure if it was completely understood on how the angle, drop, and energy calculations work.

The bullet was clearly fired from the parking lot of a Bass Pro store.

By someone with a Gen 4 Glock that they purchased at Bass Pro!

You are both correct, another case cracked by inspector rat:
inspector_rat_trucker_hat-r106ddf92f92849268c082ab58ceb5f35_v9i12_1024.jpg

Sun chronicle supposedly has photos taken by the home owner of the bullet

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...a66-8661-4934736fa1c2.html?mode=image&photo=2

Does that look like a .45 thou you? Looks too elongated to me. More like a .380 shape wise.

It's a .45... its just deformed cause it hit/went through something on the way there.

ETA: I love how the article blames the gun club but doesn't discuss the obvious, that it could be some other guy who had an ND, etc, in the neighborhood. I mean if there was shooting going on when it happened that's one thing, but if the guy just came home and found it there, god only knows where it -really- came from...

-Mike

Last edited:
So I spoke to Ted Oven today. (I live 2 miles from both Angle Tree and his shop).

Ted said he visited with the homeowners (who were very nice he claimed) and saw the screen and window. Interestingly the mirror close by on the inside of the room was untouched. He tried to explain the ballistics to the homeowner, but not sure if it was completely understood on how the angle, drop, and energy calculations work.
As the homeowner stated in the TV video... "no amount of math is going to convince me it did not come from that club".

Not sure when it happened...but if it happened during the pin shoot couldn't someone have been in the woods nearer to the house that was shot and been using the noise from the gun club to mask the noise from his shooting? Could be no?

Interested to see how this comes out...

Unless I misunderstood this and the house the house was about 1/2 mile away or anywhere within 4,800 feet of the firing point this is definitely within the distance of a .45 ACP.

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/45acp.htm

Ballistics
Bullet Weight 230 grain (14.9 grams)
Bullet Type FMJ
Ballistic Coefficient .195
Muzzle Velocity 830 feet per second
Energy at 25 yards 350 foot-pounds
Effective Range 100 yards
Mid-Range Trajectory 1.6 @ 50 yards
Exterior ballistics
Maximum range In pistol, 1,600 yards.
In submachine gun, 1,700 yards.

Did I read correctly that this range is a "no blue sky" range? If so, and if the bullet did come from the range, it was a ricochet. As a ricochet, it would not have the energy to travel that far, so it didn't come from the range.

The bullet was fired from a gun in the neighborhood of the house that was hit.

The perpetrator is a youngster effing with daddy's gun or a tactiboob operator with an ND.

Not sure when it happened...but if it happened during the pin shoot couldn't someone have been in the woods nearer to the house that was shot and been using the noise from the gun club to mask the noise from his shooting? Could be no?

Interested to see how this comes out...

So what you're saying is that there was a second shooter from the woody knoll?

I am, personally, surprised you say a .45 acp can travel that far. they always seem to sink like a stone for me.

but another possibility to explain it all:
bambo.png

From the pictures, the hole in the screen and the hole in the window are at the same height. This means the bullet was traveling horizontally as it passed through both. For the bullet to be fired from a long range it would be dropping at a significant angle and would be evidenced by the holes being offset and elliptical. Also, if you align the holes and peer through them, what do you see?

From the pictures, the hole in the screen and the hole in the window are at the same height. This means the bullet was traveling horizontally as it passed through both. For the bullet to be fired from a long range it would be dropping at a significant angle and would be evidenced by the holes being offset and elliptical. Also, if you align the holes and peer through them, what do you see?

Just a wild guess.......but the edge of the guy's back yard?

Perhaps the house is located at the top edge of a very, very high cliff and the shooter was at the bottom. The bullet would have been traveling approximately horizontal at the point it curves over for its return to earth.

Back
Top Bottom