Storing your gun in a car

I know its legal to store a handgun in your car. But where can I find it in writing? I have someone who says its illegal to do so and im curious to see anywhere that has the official word on it.

Assuming you have the LTC appropriate for the handgun, you can lawfully leave that gun in the car if you make sure to unload it, and secure it in a locked trunk, locked case, or in some other secure container.

For the reference to the appropriate MGL, visit the www.goal.org web site. You are a GOAL member, aren't you?

Darius Arbabi

Its also on the Mass State police website under the FAQ's. Some non-gun people would probably be more inclined to believe the MSP the GOAL.

Usually gun people are the only ones asking all those "how do I store a gun in a vehicle" questions. [wink]

Yes they do, they also ask about transporting.

Just to cover all the bases:

Unload it and put it in a locked case seperate from the ammunition. Place in your vehicle where it is not in plain sight.

If it is a handgun and you have an LTC-A (ALP) put it on your hip (unless going on to school property in MA.)

Yes I know the law is less restrictive than this, but the above wil cover you in most instances.

Usually gun people are the only ones asking all those "how do I store a gun in a vehicle" questions. [wink]

But the non-gun people are the ones who ask. Is that legal? Or just flat out say thats illegal cause my friends brothers gfs fathers was a cop and he said so

But the non-gun people are the ones who ask. Is that legal? Or just flat out say thats illegal cause my friends brothers gfs fathers was a cop and he said so

Is it legal to leave a gun in a car in Massachusetts? Look my my posting labeled #4 above for your answer.

Darius Arbabi

Last edited:
Grammar mistake on my part. I was trying to say it might be better to qoute the MSP website since nongun people would probably be more inclined to believe that then GOAL, and nongun people are the ones who would be asking you if "is that legal" or just flat out saying its not legal even thought they dont really know.

Gun people, above all others, know that a citation from GOAL will not provide any assistance if they are prosecuted where as an official publication from the Massachusetts State Police may (the entrapment by estoppel defense, though I'm not a lawyer so there is an excellent change I misspelled the term) ... so a GOAL citation is useless from someon citing an "authorative" source.

Gun people, above all others, know that a citation from GOAL will not provide any assistance if they are prosecuted where as an official publication from the Massachusetts State Police may (the entrapment by estoppel defense, though I'm not a lawyer so there is an excellent change I misspelled the term) ... so a GOAL citation is useless from someon citing an "authorative" source.

If it ain't in the Mass. General Laws, it ain't s***! MSP's web site has no more persuasive authority in court than GOAL's does.

But the MSP wouldnt be dumb enough to put something on there website as legal, if it hasnt been looked over by lawyers and found to be indeed legal.

The MSP would not hesitate to put something misleading on their site. It's not their butts on the line. L.E. is just about the worst place you could possibly go to in order to find the actual law. It's a great place to go if you want to know what laws they are liable to fabricate when you encounter them. Same with talking to them. Staying out of trouble and staying legal are not the same here in MA. I doubt it is anywhere.

Last edited:
Unload it and put it in a locked case seperate from the ammunition.

This is one of those things I've always wondered about. Do you really need to keep the ammo separate. Say you keep a handgun in a locked container in your car. The gun itself is unloaded, but a mag or speed loader is also in the locked container. Is the handgun considered unloaded in that respect? I've never seen a req that said the ammo had to be stored separately, just that the handgun should be unloaded.

A lot of grey area there I think.

the law

As Darius stated, if it aint in the LAWS it aint. If your in court for anything,
its whats law that counts, and thats is what the court will follow.
Screw anybodys web-site....

Just for curiosity, what does non gun people have to do with this...????

JimB

The MSP would not hesitate to put something misleading on their site. It's not their butts on the line. L.E. is just about the worst place you could possibly go to in order to find the actual law. It's a great place to go if you want to know what laws they are liable to fabricate when you encounter them. Same with talking to them. Staying out of trouble and staying legal are not the same here in MA. I doubt it is anywhere.
+ 1000
The police ENFORCE the law they don't make or interpete the law. Had a LEO tell me that I can't carry hi cap mags with an LTC A then showed him my permit that says "Class A Large Capacity/license to carry firearms". The look he gave me was that of a deer caught in the headlights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have the LTC appropriate for the handgun, you can lawfully leave that gun in the car if you make sure to unload it, and secure it in a locked trunk, locked case, or in some other secure container.

For the reference to the appropriate MGL, visit the www.goal.org web site. You are a GOAL member, aren't you?

Darius Arbabi

Would a locked glove compartment or locked center console in a truck be considered a "secure container"?

I have heard several times that glove compartment is no good. I heard this at my NRA gun safety course, and again at another one. On the other hand, it is a locked container, so I don't really get it...

Pickup Trucks Storage

Most Pickup Trucks dont have trunk Storage for guns. Thats why they make rifle racks to hang on your rear window.

In most states it is iligale to have the firearm loaded in a moving motor viehical unless you have a concealled carry permit[rofl] (Fish & Game Laws)

However leaving a nice rifle or shotgun hanging on a window rifle rack in Boston or any other city is just asking for some a hole to brake the glass and steal it.

Does anyone have a good concealed rifle storage idea for pickup trucks so you can leave your firearm locked up out of sight while at work or play?

My truck looks like this. But of course not as clean or orginized.

dodge_duha_sports_mess_lg.jpg

Something like this would be good. But where did all the other crap go?

dodge_duha_rifle_shotgun_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom