Starbucks caves to the Anti's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so how does all those starbucks avatars, stickers, and pieces of flare feel now?

Stupid?

Guess what else feels stupid? Wearing corporate advertisement as your own "pieces of flare" so you can "express yourself" without that large corporation compensating you in any way.

That's called brainwashing.
Like kids who get tattoos of band logos, not realizing that they corporate stamps.

The idea that corporations have integrity is laughable; they have shareholders instead.

someone please PM me when we start to boycott starbucks. I have a shredder ready to shred my starbucks card.

wow.. too bad..

their overpriced coffee was easier to swallow when i thought they supported our rights. even bought some gift cards from there rather than DD.
now, F them

You guys who thought they ever supported your rights were delusional. They had a "hands off" policy (like bunch of other corporations probably do) and us drawing attention to it caused it to change. Good work. [thinking]

-Mike

Gun Free Zone. Smart.

No, it's not. Thousands of people will still continue to carry concealed handguns into starbucks and other locations across the US. There is a vein of people in the US that don't give a shit about signage, binding or otherwise, or even an implication, myself included.

-Mike

So are people supposed to be hush-hush about it and take whatever scraps we can?

"Hey guys, Starbucks will let you carry, but don't tell anyone! We don't want to ruin it!"

People can either stand up when a corporation is at the very least "gun-friendly" or keep their mouths shut for fear of not rocking the boat. I don't really see how we lost anything in their new decision except for *$ losing some of my business. That, and the anti's are probably holding hands and singing their own praises now. Actually, that part pisses me off. [laugh]

Huh. [thinking] A small portion of a company's customer base figured out to use company non-policy to troll another portion of their customer base, and the company issued a request that people not troll.

Given that some people here only understand internet forum speak - What do you think is going to happen when the request that people not troll is pushed?

While I'm firmly of the opinion that OC should be legal and not a big deal, for some reason people insist on making a big deal out of it without addressing the neutral and non-gunowner ignorance of the situation, or the discomfort they get not necessarily from the guns but from the conflict.

You want to be able to OC? Great. If you live in MA, you live in a state where people literally wet their pants at the thought that guns exist. And we're still failing to have more than a barely passable showing at the State House, people are bitching and moaning about the amount of time it takes, and people that refuse to be publicly "out" about the fact that they own guns.

If you're bitching and moaning about this and you think that OCing and then verbally abusing anyone who's made uncomfortable is the solution, you're part of the problem.

If you're bitching and moaning about this and you refuse to put a GOAL, NRA, or S&W sticker on your car, wear a Sig or GLOCK hat, or utter the word "gun" at work for fear that you might be targeted, you're part of the problem.

If you're not actively working to bring new shooters into the sport, to educate children as to firearms safety, or to assist people in obtaining licensing in this state, you're part of the problem.

I'd say that if you're actively fleeing you're part of the problem, but I've seen too many people put too much time in ACTUALLY contributing, burn out, and then move...So I'll say if you're fleeing before you've even begun to help you're part of the problem.

Why is it that some portions of this country keep seeing popular support and legal wins for firearms rights while we fail miserably here? The population. Anger them instead of persuading, and you're going to lose. People need to learn how to pick their battles, and then nut up and fight the ones that need to be fought while delaying the ones that need to be pushed off. Or we're going to see more of this from other companies, culminating with companies outright banning firearms.

Rather than give MDAGSA free PR throughout the entire episode, gun owners should have ignored them.

Ding ding ding ding... winner winner, chicken dinner. It also would have helped if gun owners didn't go around braying "starbucks supports open carry" at the beginning of all this bullshit, as if it was some sort of "unique" thing. There area LOT of businesses that allowed OC, particularly in free-er parts of america.

There were a lot of numbskulls doing that stupid ****ing "open carrying unloaded handguns" bullshit in CA.... (sorry, but I think openly carrying around unloaded handguns is terminally stupid, in a way that completely transcends the "OC vs not OC" argument. ) IMHO that is what started all this. There are places to do these kinds of protests and places where it's ****ing stupid- and full commie worshipping trotskyite moonbat land isn't really a smart idea- the "middle" you are trying to appeal to does NOT live there. [laugh]

-Mike

Ding ding ding ding... winner winner, chicken dinner. It also would have helped if gun owners didn't go around braying "starbucks supports open carry" at the beginning of all this bullshit, as if it was some sort of "unique" thing. There area LOT of businesses that allowed OC, particularly in free-er parts of america.

There were a lot of numbskulls doing that stupid ****ing "open carrying unloaded handguns" bullshit in CA.... (sorry, but I think openly carrying around unloaded handguns is terminally stupid, in a way that completely transcends the "OC vs not OC" argument. ) IMHO that is what started all this. There are places to do these kinds of protests and places where it's ****ing stupid- and full commie worshipping trotskyite moonbat land isn't really a smart idea- the "middle" you are trying to appeal to does NOT live there. [laugh]

-Mike

Boom. /thread

You guys who thought they ever supported your rights were delusional. They had a "hands off" policy (like bunch of other corporations probably do) and us drawing attention to it caused it to change. Good work. [thinking]

-Mike

I agree

u4ura2y9.jpg

And it's delicious.

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Why is it that some portions of this country keep seeing popular support and legal wins for firearms rights while we fail miserably here?

It's because mass is culturally defective, and politically corrupt on nearly every level, that's why. This state is wired for sound politically against
us, on multiple levels.

Also, Part of the problem in MA is people have been conditioned for decades that begging to the man to buy a gun is "normal" and the only people inside of MA who really believe its ****ed up are the people reading this thread and maybe a few hundred extra. Do you know how many LTC/FID holders I've run into in MA that think that is "okay" to have to go to the PD to get a license and all that bullshit? WAY too many. A large portion of MA gun owners fully treat it. or think about gun ownership here as a privilege and not a right and they act as though that's "normal" instead of being perpetually pissed off and angry about it as they should be. This results in them being lazy and complacent, they don't care as long as massstah issues them their plastic card so they can shoot trap on sundays. [thinking]

Compare this to a free-er state where even a bunch of card carrying democrats will get pissed off if some prick even starts whispering about a requirement to have a license to buy a gun, etc.

-Mike

I googled to find a cheaper replacement for Starbucks coffee and found Folgers Black Silk. I've been drinking it for years, ever since Starbucks backed the concept of, "carbon credits." Black Silk is smoother, less bitter than Starbucks and I haven't gotten tired of it.

I found this last year as well. Pound and 1/2 for $6.99 and it is my daily morning coffee.

I never liked the pretentiousness of Starbucks or it's high prices. The only saving grace for me was that they weren't gun-retarded. Until now of course.

I'll start off by saying I have no dog in this fight from a practical point of view. I rarely drink coffee. I tried Starbucks once and it tasted as I imagine sewer water might. When the company was starting out to develop their products, did someone accidentally burn the first batch of coffee beans and then proclaim; "Holy Shit. I think we found something to differentiate our product from the rest of the market!"

In addition, I have a restricted LTC[angry]; so I don't carry in any establishment.

I did however work for a company that consulted with businesses trying to develop their brand identity. From that perspective, I can see how Starbucks felt pushed into a corner and do something, no matter how small, to put a little distance between themselves and the "open carry movement". Businesses spend considerable time and money on their brand and defining the message they want it to convey to the public. Rightly, they want to maintain full control over it.

The "Starbucks Appreciation Days" were different from the antis' protests and demonstrations. The appreciation days created the false impression with the public that the Starbucks brand stood for open carry and had tacitly endorsed it. It particularly provided the antis with a public relations wedge to drive home. This message was contrary to what Starbucks wants their brand to reflect which is their generally libertarian philosophy of neutrality. Sadly, Starbucks was backed into a corner and forced to take some type of action to protect their brand as Starbucks is less concerned with the pro-open carry and anti folks and more focused on the 95% of their customers who don't give a crap about the issue and just want to go to the shops and drink their coffee in peace.

Everyone is free to read whatever they want into Starbucks' actions. Personally I feel that what they did was reasonable and was actually just slightly more than doing nothing. It gives the antis a press release for a little misguided chest thumping and false bravado and changes absolutely nothing for the open carrier who goes to drink his/her coffee in peace. Since Starbucks is not posting their shops as "No Guns Allowed" this is a total non-event for CCW folks.

Under the new policy, if a moonbat goes to a manager and complains about someone open carrying in the shop, the matter will be handled in the same manner as if the moonbat were complaining about the color of another patron's shirt.

The lesson to be learned here is that our side should stop bitching and quit while we're still ahead. Everyone should go on with their lives as though nothing has happened -- which is the reality of the events. The antis don't win here until Starbucks' shops become gun free zones by the force of law. Let's not help the antis get them there.

It's because mass is culturally defective, and politically corrupt on nearly every level, that's why. This state is wired for sound politically against
us, on multiple levels.

Also, Part of the problem in MA is people have been conditioned for decades that begging to the man to buy a gun is "normal" and the only people inside of MA who really believe its ****ed up are the people reading this thread and maybe a few hundred extra. Do you know how many LTC/FID holders I've run into in MA that think that is "okay" to have to go to the PD to get a license and all that bullshit? WAY too many. A large portion of MA gun owners fully treat it. or think about gun ownership here as a privilege and not a right and they act as though that's "normal" instead of being perpetually pissed off and angry about it as they should be. This results in them being lazy and complacent, they don't care as long as massstah issues them their plastic card so they can shoot trap on sundays. [thinking]

Compare this to a free-er state where even a bunch of card carrying democrats will get pissed off if some prick even starts whispering about a requirement to have a license to buy a gun, etc.

-Mike
Absolutely agreed. The pervasiveness of the culture of permission in this state is sickening. I see it in people I love, and it sucks.

us, on multiple levels.

-Mike
Absolutely agree. I came from Colorado where the culture, at least in regards to firearms, is completely different.

Good thing I already go Dunkin'.
what's dunkin's stance on open carry?

I can only imagine if they were thrust into the spotlight like starbucks they would take the same steps

these companies exist to make money, not to assure anyone's safety or rights

well I drink lattes from them all the time, ill have to find a new spot. Kind of happy the lattes were over 4.50 so good job starbucks this will only hurt youre bottom line. Considering I think you all ready have all the flaming liberals

I'm debating whether this means I should open carry in starbucks or stop going. I understand their perspective of "don't make starbucks a battle ground for your argument", but their solution is now anti-2a (please don't open carry). I would have respected him more if his viewpoint was purely: both sides of the battle need to **** off and choose a different target.

I've been buying coffee from BJ's lately. The whole bean, Columbian Supremo (not decaf, that's for pussy's [laugh]) is pretty good stuff. Also, don't put your beans into the fridge or freezer. The freezer is actually a very bad place for it (messes with the oils in the coffee). I do grind mine, fresh, every morning right before brewing a pot. I keep the beans in Ball jars (so sealed) to maintain freshness. The beans from BJ's are $12 for 2.5 pound bags. I have yet to see ANY coffee (worth drinking) in other stores even close to that price. Oh, and I've already saved more than the membership cost in coffee bean savings after about 6 months.

I don't know BJ's stand on the 2A, but you can't not shop everyplace that isn't pro-2A. I use the money I save and put it towards ammo and other gun related items.

I get my whole bean coffee from BJs as well. They have a good selection/prices.

I drink more than enough coffee (2 15-16oz mugs each day). I also drink it black (the way it was intended [smile]). I don't have the machine to work with the k cups, and am not about to purchase such hardware. I like grinding the beans before brewing each pot. Love the smell in the morning you get this way. I gladly take the 3-5 minutes to start the coffee each morning.

IME, knowing how to make a great cup of coffee is key. If you use too little, or too much beans, you don't get the best result. I've worked out the recipe for the process I have/use to get optimal results each time. Cold grinding the beans, brewing at a lower temperature (than most makers/pots do it at), having the hot plate (under the freshly brewed coffee) at the lowest setting, and then have it turn off after 2 hours have passed (if I don't turn it off before then) all helps to keep the coffee great. Granted, when going to work, or someplace else in the morning, the maker doesn't stay on very long. Fill travel mug, then thermos (for later) and go.

I'll consider getting some beans from NEC when I can justify spending $9/pound again. Of course, that also depends on how much they're going to hit me up for shipping. Going THAT close to Boston isn't on my list of things I enjoy doing.

Did you just come out?

I am a new LTC in ma and I have meet people in Starbucks, I don't even like Starbucks, feel they are over priced, I would just as soon stop by one of the 7-11 and for $1 have a coffee.

I will make it a point of not meeting people there, if I have to meet someone will look for DD. My $$ is not going to go to some one who asks me to leave my Gun at home.

Most likely dunkin has a worse firearm policy.

Quite sure I'm in the minority here, and I haven't read other replies (mostly because I can already guess that a lot of them are foaming at the mouth, knee-jerk reactions), but I think Starbucks did the right thing. They do not want their stores to be a platform for the debate, and I don't blame them one bit. Both sides turned it into a circus and threw Starbucks into the middle of this fight simply because they follow the laws in each individual state regarding firearms. The anti's wanted a boycott and the pros wanted an appreciation day. This article sums it u nicely, in my opinion.
Is this how "responsible" gun owners behave? I don't think so, and neither does Starbucks. | Political Action, Second Amendment | GrantCunningham.com

what's dunkin's stance on open carry?

I can only imagine if they were thrust into the spotlight like starbucks they would take the same steps

these companies exist to make money, not to assure anyone's safety or rights

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom