• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speed Loader Recommendations

There really isn't a problem . These safariland speed loaders ae spring loaded and are a different design from HKS. They aren't designed to twist lock and unlock. You apply pressure to release the ammo. I just thought all safariland speedloaders worked the same way.
Yes, I know. I have the Safariland speedloaders that do not twist to unlock.

You misunderstood my reloading procedure. As I place the speedloader in the cylinder, I twist my wrist just a touch, rotating the entire speedloader just a touch. I think you interpreted that as I was turning a knob, like on an HKS speedloader.

The Comp III speedloaders that I use release the rounds simply by pressing. If yours are sticking and require more force to release, then you can probably solve that by rinsing and applying some graphite to the shaft.

Yes, I know. I have the Safariland speedloaders that do not twist to unlock.

You misunderstood my reloading procedure. As I place the speedloader in the cylinder, I twist my wrist just a touch, rotating the entire speedloader just a touch. I think you interpreted that as I was turning a knob, like on an HKS speedloader.

The Comp III speedloaders that I use release the rounds simply by pressing. If yours are sticking and require more force to release, then you can probably solve that by rinsing and applying some graphite to the shaft.

Gotcha. I have some comp III's also. When they first became available, I picked up a few to shoot the police combat course. Mostly shoot / don't shoot courses, like LAPD use to have, back in the revolver days.They work fine. Good for competition, but of course to large for every day carry.

I’ve carried my JetLoaders, which are about the same size as the comp IIIs. I usually carry a Glock, and my spare mags are bigger than the JetLoaders ...

Safariland also makes comp IIs, which are the same size as HKS. They don’t work as well for my reloading style, but they certainly are smaller.

I’ve carried my JetLoaders, which are about the same size as the comp IIIs. I usually carry a Glock, and my spare mags are bigger than the JetLoaders ...

Safariland also makes comp IIs, which are the same size as HKS. They don’t work as well for my reloading style, but they certainly are smaller.

Yes, I have comp II's also, but flat sided mags always conceal easier than round speedloaders, in my opinion. particularly in the warm months, with a t shirt and shorts. That's why I use speed strips as well, when carrying a revolver, in the summer. When I can conceal my Glock, I usually opt for the Kimber 9mm, or the Kimber, 3", .45. I've heard people say that 3" 1911s aren't reliable, but with over 1000 rounds through the 3" Kimber .45, without a malfunction, I'm comfortable with it.

I like the Comp 3's. Used them for some IDPA as well, and got reasonably competent with them. They are fast when you get the hang of it. I go the other way, fingers of left hand through the frame pinning the cylinder against the palm, thumb on the ejector rod, speedloader in the right hand. Very occasionally I'd end up with six fresh rounds and an empty speedloader sprayed all around in the dirt, a procedural for leaving ammo behind , and frantically reaching for another speedloader. I forget what made it happen, but it was user error, not the equipment.

I also like the HKS. They are simple, relatively foolproof, and easy to carry. When the 686 does get out for a stroll in the woods I do use the HKS for the reload that comes along with it.

I do recommend the HKS for the first time revo guy for the reasons mentioned above. Simple , easy to understand, easy to load with ammo, works every time, and the skinflint in me has to mention........cheap.

Are you guys actually quick to reload revolvers? It seems like a laborious process that would be really hard to do under stress. When the day comes that I carry a revolver (soon) I’ll likely carry it with no reloads or with 4 rounds on a speed strip.

Are you guys actually quick to reload revolvers? It seems like a laborious process that would be really hard to do under stress. When the day comes that I carry a revolver (soon) I’ll likely carry it with no reloads or with 4 rounds on a speed strip.

In my prime, I was about 3 seconds from my last shot to reload to first shot.

The keys are: 1) chamfer the charge holes, 2) bullets with a rounded profile, like an FMJ, 3) push to release speedloaders, and 4) practice, lots and lots of practice.

If you make up some dummy cartridges and spend 15 practicing reloads each day, you’ll get better fast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom