So I know I can't buy a new glock but can I build one?

groundscrapers

NES Member
Glockmeister.com has new glock lowers for sale for a great price. If I were to buy one and build it would that allow me to run a new glock assembly since I am essentially circumventing the AG by buying pieces and assembling them?

Nope.
The frame is the gun as it has the serial number.

You can buy used glocks in Mass. Four Seasons has a ton on the wall. Many of these are full size frames that you can change the slides and barrels on.
Once you buy it, you can do what you want to it and mass has no say. (except the federa laws, MA AWB rules still apply)

Well the reason I ask is because I know a stripped AR lower which also has the serial numbers is not considered a firearm.

Well the reason I ask is because I know a stripped AR lower which also has the serial numbers is not considered a firearm.

It is by the Feds, but not by Mass (until you build it and attach an upper).

If you can find a dealer that will do the transfer of the frame, you can build yourself a Glock.

If anyone knows of such a dealer, DO NOT post it here.

While technically legal under under Mass law, we don't need any dealers getting heat for doing frame transfers.

A lower is a firearm under federal law and is treated as a pistol for transfer purposes but is marked as other on the 4473

Mass does not consider it a firearm though until it is a complete rifle/pistol, at which point the FA-10 gets filed.

EC beat me to it. DOH.

ah ok, I forgot about the out of state transfer. In state a frame would be kosher correct?

No. In state the dealer has to comply with the AG's/EOPS lists and will not sell it to you. (EC's statement is true, I speaking to textbook example)
Privately you can buy one from someone anytime.

Is anybody selling the complete slides (upper) anymore??

Remsport in Mass has some nice stuff. Match barrels and satinless slides, ported etc.

And you can buy the uppers, parts etc al day long. Many online places will ship those as its just parts and none of it is considered the gun. But a complete upper new goes for the same price almost of a used glock here. (please dont post names if you find one- std disclaimer here)
Remember that the slide is the expensive part on a glock. The frame is just a bunch of plastic. So for a new $600 glock, the slide is about $400 and the frame is about $200
You can get used for $429 a glock 22 which has a full size frame, and you can change the barrel out between 9mm and .40, I think even .357sig. without changing the slide.

Remsport in Mass has some nice stuff. Match barrels and satinless slides, ported etc.

Many online places will ship those as its just parts and none of it is considered the gun. But a complete upper new goes for the same price almost of a used glock here.

I looked for a really long time to find a 29 upper to go on my 30 and came up empty.. If you (or somebody) could PM me where to get such a beast, I'd appreciate it.

And you can buy the uppers, parts etc al day long. Many online places will ship those as its just parts and none of it is considered the gun. But a complete upper new goes for the same price almost of a used glock here. (please dont post names if you find one- std disclaimer here)
Remember that the slide is the expensive part on a glock. The frame is just a bunch of plastic. So for a new $600 glock, the slide is about $400 and the frame is about $200
You can get used for $429 a glock 22 which has a full size frame, and you can change the barrel out between 9mm and .40, I think even .357sig. without changing the slide.

You can only switch out to 357 sig from 40 s&w if the glock is late 2nd generation or newer like 3rd generation.

You can only swith out from 40 to 357 sig if the glock is late generation 2 or newer. The old frames will not take the punishment of 357 sig.

I looked for a really long time to find a 29 upper to go on my 30 and came up empty.. If you (or somebody) could PM me where to get such a beast, I'd appreciate it.

Call John at Remsport or PM Remsport Mfg (he is a member on the site) he should be able to get you setup.
413 579 1994

WRONG. As has been discussed here many times before, and quite recently at that.

The frame is the gun as it has the serial number.

Point?

FFL transfers frame and files the 4473.

When the purchaser acquires the rest of the parts necessary to complete the build, s/he files an FA-10.

As was ALSO detailed here, many times before and quite recently.

so scriv what is the verdict then? If I buy a frame out of state can I bring it in and build it?

You can't "buy a frame out of state," as has ALSO been discussed here, ad nauseum. Interstate handgun sales require an FFL in the BUYER'S HOME STATE.

The other issue is actually finding a Glock frame.

WRONG. As has been discussed here many times before, and quite recently at that.

Point?

FFL transfers frame and files the 4473.

When the purchaser acquires the rest of the parts necessary to complete the build, s/he files an FA-10.

As was ALSO detailed here, many times before and quite recently.

So why don't shops just sell glocks al la carte. Got any frame you want for sale, and you can pick your slide.
Transfer me the frame on 4473, sell me the slide and then I walk out the door. Attach the slide to the frame and file my FA-10 and I am now happy with brand new glock.
If it is that easy then why in the hell don't shops do this?

You can't "buy a frame out of state," as has ALSO been discussed here, ad nauseum. Interstate handgun sales require an FFL in the BUYER'S HOME STATE.

The other issue is actually finding a Glock frame.

I have found a source for the frames. I was just wondering about getting em home.

So why don't shops just sell glocks al la carte. Got any frame you want for sale, and you can pick your slide.
Transfer me the frame on 4473, sell me the slide and then I walk out the door. Attach the slide to the frame and file my FA-10 and I am now happy with brand new glock.

Many do with ar's. Other then being a long gun I don't see the difference.

Because regardless of the technicalities of MGLs, the AG would come down on them like the Hammer of Thor if she found out that the dealers were doing this.

As has been said before, people from 2, 3 and 4 letter agencies in Mass Gov't read what's posted here, not to mention potential rats who might drop a dime.

Intimidation of threats of legal action by the AG (you still have to pay an attorney big $$ to defend yourself, even if you are right) keeps dealers in line. The AG works just like the IRS does at keeping people afraid enough not to push the envelope.

Understand this and you'll understand the reluctance of folks to answer these questions and provide names of dealers who might be cooperative.

Because regardless of the technicalities of MGLs, the AG would come down on them like the Hammer of Thor if she found out that the dealers were doing this.

I have no doubt Martha and her minions would love to and might even try. However threatening the letters, however, I fail to see a legal basis for any such action.

The regs apply to handguns. A bare frame is not even functional and, therefore, cannot constitute a "firearm" under MA law.

Which is precisely why part of Deval's pending legislation includes a bill that would, among other things, change MA law to match Federal law, declaring an overpriced paperweight a "firearm," thus subjecting it to all the usual requirements.

I have no doubt Martha and her minions would love to and might even try. However threatening the letters, however, I fail to see a legal basis for any such action.

Somehow I doubt that "minor issue" [wink] would stop her.

"Bluff" is used all the time in law enforcement. The cost in legal fees fighting such an action by the AG would dissuade many.

Look at past actions about selling airguns, knives, etc. into MA from out of state. A simple "adult signature required" takes away all legal issues, but that isn't what the AGs did to the dealers who dared ship into MA, did they?

As has been said before, people from 2, 3 and 4 letter agencies in Mass Gov't read what's posted here, not to mention potential rats who might drop a dime.

Intimidation of threats of legal action by the AG (you still have to pay an attorney big $$ to defend yourself, even if you are right) keeps dealers in line. The AG works just like the IRS does at keeping people afraid enough not to push the envelope.

Understand this and you'll understand the reluctance of folks to answer these questions and provide names of dealers who might be cooperative.

Thank you Lens
I am not the one looking for dealers or info to do this. I was trying to make sense of the response that I was wrong in my post that it was not possible to buy the frame.
On paper yes the frame and the slide al la carte works just like building an AR. Outside of mass this whole discusssion here is useless.

In mass no dealer is going to sell a handgun frame for something not on the lists for exactly the reasons you pointed out.

My al la carte glock shop business plan just went up in smoke due to nothing more than fear. This is a very very sad state.

Back
Top Bottom