• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smartgun guidelines

If I die in my home, gun in hand, to a crazed meth head because my smartwatch is in the living room on the coffee table, I sure hope my wife can sue the manufacturer.

NRA titles this "Toward a ‘Smart Gun’ that Cops Could Tolerate"

I like the NRA summary -- A lot of busy people with important duties thus spent their valuable time (to say nothing of taxpayer resources) running around in circles, so President Obama could pretend he was being proactive on “gun safety.”

These are minimum standards for LEO "smart" guns, unrelated to civilian sales.

So I can invent an RF disruptor that will lock the cops' guns? Smart thinking there.
They thought of that too.

Note the inclusion of requirements that in the face of jamming or other failure, gun defaults to "fail hot":
the government identified intentional or unintentional “electromagnetic interference” as a possible threat, so the device must be equipped with a countermeasure. If it uses batteries, they can be re-chargeable but shall be replaceable. Lastly, if the device malfunctions, it should default to a state that allows the pistol to fire and be easy for the operator to reset or disengage.

This is an unexpected bonus to the election. We should not have to worry about so called smart guns for at least the next four to eight years. One more reason to be happy about the results.

So if the system malfunctions the gun can be fired? This sort of negates the premise of what the smart gun is for. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If the system can be made to malfunction you end up with an ordinary dumb gun.

If it can be hacked I'll pass thanks though. That and an emp renders them useless

Unreliable. Can be hacked. Need to wear a stupid watch all the time. Yea, no thanks. All for what? To give some liberal do-gooder a boner?

Enough for me to pass. I will take the proven technology that has worked well for a few hundred years.

Guidelines for purchases by Federal agencies, probably to defuse the argument "if smart guns are so great, how come LEO refuses to carry them?"

I can't imagine any LE union going along with this crap.
That's like volunteering to be the first human trial for some new drug, no thanks.
If they try and force it and you end up with a dead cop lying in the street because this piece of crap failed, it would be the shit storm equivalent of the blizzard of '78.

It baffles me to think that people believe smart guns will prevent accidents. Like that the parent who leaves a loaded and unsecured gun in a home with young kids will not also leave the smart gun watch/ring/key/whatever thingy right next to it.

Don't worry the government will shut your gun off when it deems necessary. Anyone that thinks differently is fcking stupid.

Don't worry the government will shut your gun off when it deems necessary. Anyone that thinks differently is fcking stupid.

^ This
The creator of the technology came right out and admitted to a back door kill switch.
Does anyone think the same people who let murders and pedos run wild amounst us give a damn about our safety ?
[rofl]

and the New York Times thinks they are a great idea:

Why Not Smart Guns in This High-Tech Era?
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/o...s-in-this-high-tech-era.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

.....“If a child can’t open a bottle of aspirin, we should make sure that they can’t pull a trigger on a gun,” President Obama declared in ordering Justice and Homeland Security officials to outline a strategy for “the real-world deployment of smart-gun technology.” This includes testing of new smart firearms at the Army’s Aberdeen Test Center in Maryland.....

Let me get this straight, if I buy a "smart gun" does that mean I will never commit a crime with it? So a "Smart gun" stops crime? Who makes this bullshit logic? I sincerely hope no gun manufacturer is even trying to develop such a thing. If one does I will never buy a thing they make, "smart gun" or not.

The creator of the technology came right out and admitted to a back door kill switch.
I don't see where the Armatix IP1 has a back door kill switch. Just because the option is covered in the patent filing doesn't mean it is implemented.

Let me get this straight, if I buy a "smart gun" does that mean I will never commit a crime with it? So a "Smart gun" stops crime? Who makes this bullshit logic? I sincerely hope no gun manufacturer is even trying to develop such a thing. If one does I will never buy a thing they make, "smart gun" or not.
If the issue were crackheads stealing guns and immediately going out and shooting up their dealer, they would have a point, but average "time-to-crime" on stolen and straw purchase guns is measured in years.

The original specs as posted are for firearms bought on government contract, to be issued to government employees -- not just FBI agents and other "front line" folk, but all the other armed Federal employees out there, like postal inspectors, FDA, and NOAA.

If we're going to give guns to D.C. librarians, why not give them "smart" guns?

Last edited:
so if the 'smart' gun can't contact the token/wristband/watch, it is 'malfunctioning, and should fail hot? What's the point of the tech then? Just use it without the token.
That would be only for government issued guns of course. Naturally they would want the government to be able to jam every legal civilian gun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why can't we just have guns that know right from wrong.

If shooting someone would be the right thing to do then it fires.
if shooting someone is against the law then it doesn't fire.

Back
Top Bottom