Smartgun guidelines

Here's where you can file anything smartgun related.

635939595917374169-1338715117_o-BURNING-GARBAGE-facebook.jpg

While I still think that its not a bad idea in and of itself, if it can be made to work right. It should get a chance at the market. But that is on condition that the government stay out of it. And the problem is that the government will drool over ability to order all guns to be outfited with this tech. So for the time being even with President Trump in office, we all are better off with no smart gun, then one that does work.

While I still think that its not a bad idea in and of itself, if it can be made to work right. It should get a chance at the market. But that is on condition that the government stay out of it. And the problem is that the government will drool over ability to order all guns to be outfited with this tech. So for the time being even with President Trump in office, we all are better off with no smart gun, then one that does work.

It will never work, in a way that benefits us.
2/3 of "gun death" are suicides, The remaining 1/3 are vastly intentional acts.
The handful of cases where is tech might prevent a death will be outweighed by the deaths this tech will cause..
TNe only reason for this tech is for the gov to geofence off areas, or use a kill switch to dissable gun during a time when we'll need them most.

Last edited:
I had a think about this a while ago and there are two deal breakers that I can see.

1.) Gloves. Anything based on fingerprints is just straight up not going to work.

2.) Disruption. EMP at the super extreme end. Government disrupting it for civilians for our 2a purposes. But more realistically in terms of what will actually be considered, hackers. The glove issue ensures that this is a major problem.

I have zero idea whether a reliable system has been made to date but I suspect that such a system is at least possible to develop in the near term.

To be clear, I don't want this. At all. It just struck me one day as I was walking down the street or whatever that this might be something we would seriously have to contend with, so I had a think about it. It seems like the two issues above are the two most major and arguable reasons why this isn't feasible.

I do have to say, though.....the idea of being able to activate a field at my house that would disable smart guns is not completely undesirable given how cops have been acting lately. Such technology would clearly be illegal, but if you see a SWAT truck outside your house and the door is being broken in...the juice might be worth the squeeze. At least you'd be alive to be prosecuted for having the tech.

Smart guns are the future of firearms. And they always will be.

I disagree, unless we're talking about cool things like energy weapons where the access control portion will only come as an incremental cost/option over the standard. That would understandable- the access control coming as a "side dish" and not the main course. There really isn't a need or a demand for there to be that much electronics in a gun that uses conventional ammunition. I just don't believe that an "electronic gun permission system" on a centerfire/conventional firearm is some kind of screaming demand market/killer app. They've been ruminating about this crap for like 2 decades or more, and barely anything has come out of it- because the people with the money have figured out that there isn't any money in it, and on a good day, a lot of bad press. The only people that care about this stuff are tepid fence sitter antis/fudds that don't like people having capability) and a handful of opportunists in the vein of that safestop guy with his sawblade brake thing- eg, people who want to overhype some marginally existing problem to try to make a ton of money.

Harkening to the other thread, even a "Self Driving Car" makes more sense than this does. At least that, as an idea, a concept.... would seek to solve a bunch of gigantic problems.

-Mike

The hack DISABLES the protections offered by the smart gun...thus ENABLING the gun to be shot by anyone.

I'd also be curious if someone could come up with a hack that basically turned the gun into a paperweight. That's basically 1000 times more disturbing than "Someone using it without permission".

-Mike

I do have to say, though.....the idea of being able to activate a field at my house that would disable smart guns is not completely undesirable given how cops have been acting lately. Such technology would clearly be illegal, but if you see a SWAT truck outside your house and the door is being broken in...the juice might be worth the squeeze. At least you'd be alive to be prosecuted for having the tech.

If I was going to make a wag if some "progressive" PD ever used smart guns, the guys that are doorkickers won't ever have those limitations, this will be something that gets imposed vs. barney fife types.

-Mike

Harkening to the other thread, even a "Self Driving Car" makes more sense than this does. At least that, as an idea, a concept.... would seek to solve a bunch of gigantic problems.

-Mike

Self-driving cars will also create a new bunch of gigantic problems.

Smart guns are the future of firearms. And they always will be.

I disagree, unless we're talking about cool things like energy weapons where the access control portion will only come as an incremental cost/option over the standard. That would understandable- the access control coming as a "side dish" and not the main course. There really isn't a need or a demand for there to be that much electronics in a gun that uses conventional ammunition. I just don't believe that an "electronic gun permission system" on a centerfire/conventional firearm is some kind of screaming demand market/killer app. They've been ruminating about this crap for like 2 decades or more, and barely anything has come out of it- because the people with the money have figured out that there isn't any money in it, and on a good day, a lot of bad press. The only people that care about this stuff are tepid fence sitter antis/fudds that don't like people having capability) and a handful of opportunists in the vein of that safestop guy with his sawblade brake thing- eg, people who want to overhype some marginally existing problem to try to make a ton of money.

-Mike

I think Knuckles point is that smart guns will always be the future because they will never come to fruition.

I'd also be curious if someone could come up with a hack that basically turned the gun into a paperweight. That's basically 1000 times more disturbing than "Someone using it without permission".

-Mike

The video demonstrates a jammer that does just that, but not permanent. Once the jammer is turned off it's back to being a functional smart-gun. And it's just a radio transmitter with off the self parts. Or any ham with 900Mhz equipment could do it.

Any manufacturing making this are a$$holes.

I don't think it's the manufacturers that are the *******s, if there is a market for them (liberals who are scared of Trump)? It's the *******s who legislate mandates that all guns need to be manufactured, and existing property traded for, smart guns that piss me off.

I think Knuckles point is that smart guns will always be the future because they will never come to fruition.

I missed the sarchasm, thats what I get for waking up at 3 am today with little sleep. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom