• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Mosquito vs Ruger SR22 vs Walther P22

SR22 hands down. The Walther is crap and the Sig is way to picky about ammo. i shot all three and talked to a bunch of people before I bouhgt my SR22.

That is funny, CCI Blazer is one of the few types my P22 actually likes. It also like CCI AR Tactical and Winchester M22.

My P22 hates everything else, no matter how much I clean it. With any of those three rounds though I can go many thousands between cleaning and it still functions fine.
I got the 1st gen p22 when it came out and was told the newer ones were better .

SR22 all the way, the only problem I've had is that both of the white dot inserts in the rear sight have fallen out. Easy fix with some nail polish.

I got my P22 in 2004. I got the two barrel kit with the red dot sight in a nice hard case. I have well over 10k rounds through it without much fuss. I clean it when it won't go fully into battery.

Other than having to turn the scope base around I have no complaints. Ejected shells would ricochet off the base and block the action about 30% of the time. A little Dremel work and problem solved.

I am about the only person I know that would buy another Walther. I recommended the Ruger because it seems more people are happier with that gun. A friend has the Ruger and it seems to be pretty finicky with ammo also, but that seems to be an anomaly.

Last edited:
My wife likes Sigs, so I bought her a Mosquito when I saw a used one in the case. A number of guys that I shoot with told me that she wouldn't like it, that it would give her trouble. That's not been our experience. It's very ammo-particular, this one likes CCI "Optimized for the AR Platform" ammo, with Remington Golden Bullets a close second.

I can't speak to the other guns on your list, but I can say a few things about the .22's I've got. If you haven't looked at Browning Buckmarks, you might want to. I've got a couple and they're just terrific target guns. Lots of different configurations and options available. If you've got a Glock, Advantage Arms makes a .22 conversion kit that runs well, (partial to Remington Golden Bullets). And if you want to go retro, find a used S&W 617 10 shot revolver, unbelievable how much fun they are...

If you've got a Glock, Advantage Arms makes a .22 conversion kit that runs well, (partial to Remington Golden Bullets).

I think these have been discontinued, and replacement parts will not be available once current stock runs out.

All of my MK series do, which is cool because I shoot a lot of Super Colibri rounds.

the sr22 has to have a mag in to fire or dry fire due to the mag disconnect safety

Cool thanks. I know the PPQ M2 .22 doesn't have a mag disconnect safety, just more nanny-state crap. I think California requires them.

I would get the SR22 unless you have a large supply of mini mags. The Mosquito can be very picky on the 22 ammo it uses whereas the SR22 shoots anything. Once in great while you will find a Sign Mosquito that shoots more than min mags but it's not very often. Just take a look at the used guns at Four Seasons there are 6 Mosquitos listed and no SR22's.

guy had this last week in Manchester and I had the SR22 and at 25 feet I was easily hitting a 3 inch target and well the guy with this couldn't------->View attachment 119404

Wasn't the gun, it was the shooter. The 22/45 is usually an accurate shooting hand gun. Maybe he had crappy ammo too. 25' is hardly a challenge when shooting a 22/45.

Do any of these 3 guns fire without a magazine loaded? I read that the M&P22 Compact has a magazine lock.

Just curious if this was a .22 thing.

The P22 has a mag safety. Pretty simple to disconnect. Plenty of info online. I did that and installed a captive recoil spring from BrassStacker.

sr 22 have 2 one for the wife one mine shoots anything you can put in it . also very easy to breakdown and accurate. free mag from ruger now.with purchase.

Buy the Sig Mosquito if you really want to practice with dealing with and solving malfunctions. Buy the Ruger SR22 if you want a .22 that just FN works.

W@ow... this thread is a no-brainer.... I can only share my experience with a Mosquito ..... = total JUNK !!!!!! feels good in the hand, looks good... but that is where it ends. If a salesman in a shop tries to sell you one.... don't ever step foot into that store again. Anyone that would push that gun does not care about their customer... The reviews are stacked against it, whereas this thread alone makes a hugh statement for the SR22.. heck, I don't need another 22 but reading this makes me want one..

I am a SIG fanboi, but the Moskito is the one SIG I'll never own. So many bad reviews out there, it's a pity.

SR22, no question.
I own a mosquito, but I think I have the only one they ever built that runs correctly. It'll shoot bulk pack ammo all day long as long as I clean it. Every other mosquito I've experienced is a jam-o-matic with anything but CCI mini-mags which are rare as unicorn farts.

SR22, as the other posts have said, runs anything.

Personally, though, I'd get a buckmark, but that wasn't one of your options.

Love my Moskito, but i know i'm in the minority here. Kinda like a real gun compared to the SR. Maybe i'm just lucky but i think any blowback 22 is going to have issues with some ammo, especially once it's dirty.

Personally, though, I'd get a buckmark, but that wasn't one of your options.

I just shot one today, and wow. What a nice pistol. My uncle shoots match with it and man is it nice. It didn't like the cold much though.

I'm a long-time Sig fan, like many here, but also like many here, I can't recommend a Mosquito. Mine will eat anything (mostly due, I think, to the fact I have a Gemtech threaded barrel vice the OEM barrel, which is shit), but no matter what I've tried, the DA trigger pull is still ridiculous. It would be my daughter's favorite .22, but she literally can't manage the DA trigger pull. She's 20, and she can't pull the DA trigger through. Ugh. Even I hate shooting the thing DA. It's just a poor design, and not at all beginner friendly. You literally have to start every string SA.

Of the two remaining choices, the SR22 has the better reputation, and less ZAMAK. The slide of both the P22 and Mosquito are ZAMAK (a Zinc alloy), and I've seen pictures of both with cracked slides. The only real problem I have with the SR22 is the safety. It operates the opposite of "normal" safeties. UP is FIRE and DOWN is SAFE.

If you can open the aperture a bit, I'd recommend two other guns: the new S&W M&P .22 Compact, and the Ruger 22/45 Lite.

The M&P .22 Compact is made by S&W in Springfield, not imported/made by Umarex/Walther. It's well-made, with an Aluminum slide (vice Zinc), and gobbles up anything I feed it. PSA had them on sale at $250, and may run that special again in the future. I highly recommend it as a "newbie trainer," and a great all-around plinker. Super-quiet suppressor host, too.

68r2f7.jpg

My "22/45 Lite" is really the Pac-Lite upper that Ruger knocked off for the "Lite," mounted on a 22/45 frame. Between the lightweight upper and polymer lower, the gun weighs nothing. More accurate than I can hold, it also eats anything I feed it, and has a world of aftermarket parts.

atll37.jpg

Between the M&P and the 22/45, my Mosquito has moved into safe-queen status. How much of a safe-queen? If it weren't given to me as a gift, I'd sell it off.

Lots of good .22 options out there; many of them superior to the ones you've mentioned. I hope you can look around and maybe shoot some of the offerings.

Does that have some kind of barrel adapter on it?

I'd buy that for $250 in a heartbeat, if I didn't live in Mass of course.

The M&P .22 Compact is made by S&W in Springfield, not imported/made by Umarex/Walther. It's well-made, with an Aluminum slide (vice Zinc), and gobbles up anything I feed it. PSA had them on sale at $250, and may run that special again in the future. I highly recommend it as a "newbie trainer," and a great all-around plinker. Super-quiet suppressor host, too.

68r2f7.jpg

Does that have some kind of barrel adapter on it?

I'd buy that for $250 in a heartbeat, if I didn't live in Mass of course.

Yeah, PSA runs some stupid-cheap specials. The gun is usually "on sale" around the low $300's. Sometimes I think they're intentionally forcing me to buy stuff from them.

The gun comes with a threaded barrel (3/8-24), and I added a 1/2x28 suppressor adapter. The 3.56" barrel keeps everything subsonic, and it's a very quiet host.

259e2xx.jpg

The M&P22 Compact is a bit smaller than "full size," about the size of the Shield.

Although I don't own one, so I can't speak to it, PSA has the full size M&P22 on sale right now at $259. Hard to pass up.

Back
Top Bottom