Sig Mosquito vs Ruger SR22 vs Walther P22

alan226

NES Member
I am in the market for a .22 pistol for some inexpensive plinking. I already own a GSG ATI22 MP5 clone (which I love, highly recommend). Given that the Sig, Ruger and Walther are very close in price, which would you recommend?

I am leaning toward the Sig Mosquito, being a long time fan of Sig products, but am open to suggestions.

I like 22lr so when they came out with the sig mosquito I bought it. I learned to hate it real fast. So I got the Ruger sr22. Love it because it out performed the sig in every way. I no longer own the mosquito.

I own the Ruger sr22 and it has worked flawless never a problem and it eats every think I put in to it . I have never used the sig 22 but have heard they are ammo picky

I have the P22. Love it and have put a ton of ammo through it in the last ten years. I would still recommend the Ruger.

The Walther can be very finicky with ammo. Not what you want when .22 is the hardest ammo to find consistently.

SR22 in my opinion. I've owned the Mosquito, very finicky. With CCI mini-mags, I didn't have any issues but my kids did. The SR22 eats anything, not a single issue thus far.

I love my SR22, it doesn't like the federal red box ammo I bought recently, but has eaten everything else. (Well to be fair, the first mag of the federal red box it eats fine, by the third mag it will eject, but won't feed.) Also a breeze to clean. I did a lot of reading on the SR22 before I bought it, and it seems to be 50/50 or 60/40 of people who have issues and people who don't. HOwever, it seems to be issues with one or two specific brands of ammo, as far as issues with all types of ammo, it seems to be a rare review.

My GSG on the other hand is a total pile of horse apples. That thing light strikes everything. Can't get through a mag without at least 3 malfunctions. It hasn't been out of the safe since I got the 10/22 which eats anything I put in it, and gets better as it gets warm and a little dirty.

My .02 - it's no contest. The Ruger SR22 wins hands down.

this. My wife "HAD" a POS P22 and I have almost every kind of 22 and it wouldn't go bang. Had it for a few months and then got the Ruger and love it. If I clean it every range trip it loves even Blazer, never an issue. I'm actually keeping count on what I shoot , so i'll shoot 500 rounds of one brand and then change to the next and shoot another 500 and ETC.. Just to see which to me works best. so far if its clean at every trip it's been flawless with blazer which I'm at about 400 rds with. next i'll try the Federal 525 packs. I know it eats CCI Mini Mags and CCI standard so those I save...
Had 200 rounds of aguila Match run through with 0 issues today,this-->

Last edited:
I have the Rurger SR22 and really like it. I replaced the plastic guide rod with a Stainless one. Fun gun. I also have the Smith & Wesson 22A. also a fun gun but bigger. Very accurate with no recoil at all.

I don't know about the other pistols, but you can dry fire the SR22, which is awesome. I've dry fired that thing 200x more than actual. I walk around with it in my house and just shoot it constantly. Maybe I'm a toolbox, but it was a huge selling point for me.

I had a mosquito. As a Sig fanboy, it takes quite a bit for me to actually sell a Sig handgun....and I proudly sold my mosquito.

the SR22 is great. Shot like 5k rds through mine then sold it off. I recommend it. If compared to the mosquito that is a no brainer: SR22 8 days a week.

my favorite 22 handgun is my 22/45 mark III. had to remove the mag disconnect and swap out the front sight to something visible but its a wonderful 22 overall....although a PITA to clean whereas the SR22 field strip is absurdly easy.

I have the sr22 and it functions flawlessly. Shot over 2000 rounds without any issues. I've also shot my friends mosquito and even with cci there still hiccups here and there so forget about shooting anything cheaper. I highly reccomend the sr22.

Do you have to use high velocity ammo, or will it cycle OK with standard velocity?

High velocity usually just means low mass bullet....any 22 handgun is going to prefer heavier bullets. I dont bother with anything under 36gr. In general i try to run 40gr bullets and they seem to cycle better overall. Keep in mind 22LR from a handgun pails in comparison to a 22 rifle....not even close WRT velocity.

i am sure some folks will scream the opposite which is fine....just my experience so thats all I can share.

Never tried the Sig, but between the SR22 and P22? The SR22 hands down. The P22 is finnicky about ammo, and it eats itself. Shoot it a bit and you'll see the slide with nasty gouge marks. It's made of freaking zinc alloy. The SR22, much like a Mk. III, seems to shoot just about anything, and it doesn't tear itself apart in the process.

The P22 is finnicky about ammo, and it eats itself. Shoot it a bit and you'll see the slide with nasty gouge marks. It's made of freaking zinc alloy.

Walther's PPQ M2 .22 is much better built, with a hard anodized aluminum slide instead of zinc. Hard to find in Mass but it's very cool.

I hear good things about the M&P 22 Compact, that it's much better built than the full size M&P 22, which I think is made by Walther. I've seen those for $430 new in the classifieds. That'd be my choice.

I have an sr22 and a buddy has the p22 with the longer barrel and compensator and I find the sr22 to be nicer and more accurate. If you want to travel to north central mass some time to try em both out side by side let me know.

P22=pot metal slide enough said. POS.

Sig is also picky and needs to be lubed constantly.

SR22 hands down.

[QUOTE=Varmint;4200079]Walther's PPQ M2 .22 is much better built, with a hard anodized aluminum slide instead of zinc. Hard to find in Mass but it's very cool.

I hear good things about the M&P 22 Compact, that it's much better built than the full size M&P 22, which I think is made by Walther. I've seen those for $430 new in the classifieds. That'd be my choice.[/QUOTE]
His unicorn will give him it, nice [rofl]

I hear good things about the M&P 22 Compact, that it's much better built than the full size M&P 22......
Dont know where you heard that, the beauty of social media, it's all heresay. I own a full size m&p .22 made in Germany by walther. While not a striker fire like it's namesake, if you like smith's m&p line, you'll love these .22's. Did I say I own a full size? and it has thousands of rounds through it without issue. It fails when I get lazy and don't clean it as often as I should. The gun has a decent out of the box trigger and is accurate at 25 yards if I do my part. Shot string opens up a bit at 50 yds. The pistol is a blast to shoot. On the down side, if your going to try and let children with smallish hands shoot it they may find the m&p grip style too big for their hand. It does not have interchangeable back straps. I have never shot the compact version but I have held one, I like it...period.

Last edited:
SR22. Every time I take mine to the range and there is someone there that has the P22 they all say "I wanted to buy the Ruger but it was not in stock so I bought xx instead."

Mine does not like Federal especially the match grade. It eats everything else standard and high velocity. It likes Winchester X, Blazer, CCI mini-mags, CCI standard and Remington golden bullet.

Dont know where you heard that, the beauty of social media, it's all heresay. I own a full size m&p .22 made in Germany by walther. While not a striker fire like it's namesake, if you like smith's m&p line, you'll love these .22's. Did I say I own a full size? and it has thousands of rounds through it without issue. It fails when I get lazy and don't clean it as often as I should. The gun has a decent out of the box trigger and is accurate at 25 yards if I do my part. Shot string opens up a bit at 50 yds. The pistol is a blast to shoot. On the down side, if your going to try and let children with smallish hands shoot it they may find the m&p grip style too big for their hand. It does not have interchangeable back straps. I have never shot the compact version but I have held one, I like it...period.

fair enough - the M&P22 Compact is made by S&W, the full size by Walther, but yeah, which is better quality is probably anybody's guess. reviews of the Compact do seem to say it is really good about ammo.

Mosquito's suck! Well that said the SR22 is a very nice 22, will eat most every type of ammo it's fed.Did I say Mosquito's suck,and I love SIG'S.

this. My wife "HAD" a POS P22 and I have almost every kind of 22 and it wouldn't go bang. Had it for a few months and then got the Ruger and love it. If I clean it every range trip it loves even Blazer, never an issue. I'm actually keeping count on what I shoot , so i'll shoot 500 rounds of one brand and then change to the next and shoot another 500 and ETC.. Just to see which to me works best. so far if its clean at every trip it's been flawless with blazer which I'm at about 400 rds with. next i'll try the Federal 525 packs. I know it eats CCI Mini Mags and CCI standard so those I save...
Had 200 rounds of aguila Match run through with 0 issues today,this-->

That is funny, CCI Blazer is one of the few types my P22 actually likes. It also like CCI AR Tactical and Winchester M22.

My P22 hates everything else, no matter how much I clean it. With any of those three rounds though I can go many thousands between cleaning and it still functions fine.

I just unloaded an SR22. The gun functioned perfectly with any ammo, and was well built and accurate, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Even changing the grips didn't improve the feel in my hand. They're a great firearm, burnt would suggest shooting one before you buy to see how well it fits.

Back
Top Bottom