SHTF reading

So I drove about 650 miles in the last 20 hours which allowed me to finish American Exit and the sequel American Meltdown. I highly recommend these two books. Lots of stuff in there I hadn't seen brought up in other books. Some good ideas as well as very plausible scenarios on gov reactions to situations.

I need a new audiobook for more driving Thursday. Any ideas??

So I drove about 650 miles in the last 20 hours which allowed me to finish American Exit and the sequel American Meltdown. I highly recommend these two books. Lots of stuff in there I hadn't seen brought up in other books. Some good ideas as well as very plausible scenarios on gov reactions to situations.

I don't know if you want to deviate to something a little less plausible - but "The Remaining" series by DJ Molles was a great read (zombie-ish)

Heck. Take a job in Boston. 20 hours is just 3 or 4 day's commuting and only a third the miles. Of course you're driving much more slowly...

Heck. Take a job in Boston. 20 hours is just 3 or 4 day's commuting and only a third the miles. Of course you're driving much more slowly...

In NYC today. Don't even talk to me about slow driving.

On the third book (Refugees) in the series. These are great books. Well written and the narrator is awesome.

On the fourth book. They just keep getting better. The storyline is very dynamic and the books are not "zombie centric." I'm going to be disappointed when I finish this series. Going to be hard to top.

On the fourth book. They just keep getting better. The storyline is very dynamic and the books are not "zombie centric." I'm going to be disappointed when I finish this series. Going to be hard to top.

I am there with you - probably one of the best series I have read in the past few years*
Unfortunately 5th book is not due out until summer of 2015 so a bit of a wait there

He did release two novellas this past month or so that are good reads
http://www.amazon.com/The-Remaining-Trust-A-Novella-ebook/dp/B00HCKSYAE
http://www.amazon.com/The-Remaining-Faith-A-Novella-ebook/dp/B00HK6UA34

*I read a ton of sci-fi and the "in her name series" by Michael Hicks is IMHO, the best series I have read in a long time

"One second after"
its a must if you havet read.

anything vonnegut. Especially sluaghterhouse, deadeye dick or cats cradle. Breakfast of champions also good but absurd even by vonnegut standards.

I'm a 3rd of the way through "Lightning Fall" - there are barely veiled attempts at Bill and Hillary and some other political characters but its the first time I've been exposed to more "average" people in a SHTF story - so far no operators, no former military, no mall ninjas, and no overt religious underpinnings. Its a mix of main characters but the first we meet are a gay couple. That's a first for me in the genre. So far, well written and fairly realistic.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fa...f=a_search_c4_1_1_srImg?qid=1402075129&sr=1-1

Objects of Wrath, Sean smith is my current book because I had already bought it before RLs suggestion. DO NOT get this one on audio. I made the mistake and this narrator is brutally terrible. He has no rhythm or personality. It's like listening to a robot. The story is keeping me going with it, it's decent so far.

I finished Remaining: Fractured. Series is still awesome. It really keeps you on the edge and the switch between characters is seamless. Still the best narrator I've had on an audiobook.

Commuting back and forth to VT has afforded me a new appreciation for books on CD. So far, the runaway best one has been World War Z. AWESOME. Like 30 different big name actors reading the book, including Carl & Rob Reiner, Martin Scorsese, Mark Hamill and Alan Alda. It's at Waltham Public if you've got a Minutman system library card.

Been reading these two based on your recommendation and they are very good. Love that he named his political hero Paul Randall....Rand Paul anyone? :)

Objects of Wrath is a very long timeline book, FYI. As in it covers about 5 years. I'm almost done. Not bad for passing my miles on the road, probably way better if the narrator didn't suck giant donkey balls. The long timeline makes my detail oriented mind want more, but the author did a decent job considering the span.

I just finished the third in the American Exit Strategy series. It's pretty well written, compared to most of this self-published genre. A lot of folks will be turned off by the overly preachy nature. Heck, I go to church every Sunday and pray every morning, and I thought it was a bit much.

There are definitely better and worse books out there. For those of use who pretty much read all of them, this was worth the few bucks.

I've probably read 20 apocalypse books straight now. It's probably time to switch things up a bit. Every time I read one of these damn things I buy another case of ammo or a new gun.

I just finished the third in the American Exit Strategy series. It's pretty well written, compared to most of this self-published genre. A lot of folks will be turned off by the overly preachy nature. Heck, I go to church every Sunday and pray every morning, and I thought it was a bit much.

There are definitely better and worse books out there. For those of use who pretty much read all of them, this was worth the few bucks.

I've probably read 20 apocalypse books straight now. It's probably time to switch things up a bit. Every time I read one of these damn things I buy another case of ammo or a new gun.

Yeah, it's a good or bad side effect depending how you look at it. Lol.

i do most of my "reading" on audible while i commute to work.

I just finished panzer commander by hans von luck, great book if you are into WWII history, before that i listened to shelby foote's series on the civil war. After the history books i decided to lighten things up with a novel so I started one second after, listened to it tonight while i was down in my basement reloading next thing i knew i had 400 rounds of 9mm stacked up. Im hooked.

Who else listens via audible? i can't find many "SHTF" titles on there, i wish the 299 days series was on there I'm still actually reading book 1.

I'm using audible. Check out all the ones above I've been talking about. All on audible.

Same with my recommendations - all on audible. Here's a partial list of recommendations in one place:

The Jakarta Pandemic\The Perseid Collapse\Event Horizon - unofficial trilogy, well written and read
77 Days in September - older and not so detailed on "what" to do, but a good listen
Enemies Foreign and Domestic trilogy - horrendous voice actor but the story is excellent
The Remaining Series by DJ Molles - well written and read
Going Home\Surviving Home\Escaping Home\Forsaking Home - also well written and read

Hope this helps - enjoy!

i do most of my "reading" on audible while i commute to work.

I looked into getting a subscription but couldn't get past the $15/month for one book price. Instead I take them out of the public library. Waltham Public has a LOT that I haven't read/heard yet, so I'm still good.

I looked into getting a subscription but couldn't get past the $15/month for one book price. Instead I take them out of the public library. Waltham Public has a LOT that I haven't read/heard yet, so I'm still good.

Don't you have any kids hanging around there? Anything that is in electronic format has been put out there for free today.

Don't you have any kids hanging around there? Anything that is in electronic format has been put out there for free today.

As much as I collect electronic information, its nice to have a hard copy of a text to hold in my hands and refer to

Yeah, it's steep. But I spend too much time in the car to not do it.

Lightning fall is great so far. About halfway through.

I just wrapped it up last week and tore through "Half Past Midnight" - eh...it was OK but definitely not a how-to. A little to "ninja"--literally but a decent listen in the car on the commute.

FWIW, it looks like the first "Holding Their Own" was re-recorded with someone who didn't do the recording on a circa 1982 Radio Shack tape deck in a cavernous bathroom...I may have to try that one again [rofl]

Yeah, it's steep. But I spend too much time in the car to not do it.

For a little planning ahead, can't beat the price of the local public library. And there are other member libraries to draw on, so that expands the selection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

For a little planning ahead, can't beat the price of the local public library. And there are other member libraries to draw on, so that expands the selection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Problem is my schedule is literally day to day and I never know when I'm going to be home, let alone where I am going. Could be Boston, Buffalo, Burlington or anywhere in between. I've had weeks I've finished three books. Plus with audible I get new releases.

I am in the middle of Lightning Falls. It's been a pretty good read. It's long, if you happen to like long books.

I like how he will introduce a brand new character halfway through the book, just to kill them off in the same chapter. Almost like a little short story. The junkie who woke up covered in her own filth was the best so far.

Back
Top Bottom