SHTF reading

Finished all three of the "XXXXXing Home" books. Really good and page turners. I barely slept this past week, couldn't stop. Can't wait for the fourth now.

I've read this a couple of times, and I sort of got the impression that the author gives him this attitude intentionally, so that he can be proven wrong later on. The 'gun nut' neighbor ends up being his best friend.

The level of preparation does seem excessive, much like as in Patriots.

I do like the book a lot. I also red the Black Flagged books by the same author. They are pretty entertaining, kind of like Vince Flynn's books.

I see what you're saying.There's just not much of a character arc, maybe I missed it.

i definitely can't read any more superprepper books. It's like playing Doom back in the day and iddqd-ing every level.

Last edited:
I picked up enemies foreign and domestic today, I'm hooked, when the guy mosin snipes the senator... awesome

Apocalypse Law 1-4. Follows a farmer/former Ranger and his son after a plague wipes out most of the population. Looking forward to book 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Finished all three of the "XXXXXing Home" books. Really good and page turners. I barely slept this past week, couldn't stop. Can't wait for the fourth now.

Just started the first book the other night. Pretty good so far

I found an interesting one in one of those 99 cent Amazon Kindle dystopian collections. It was called 'After the Cure', and it took place about 10 years after a zombie apocalypse, and about 6 years after they discovered a cure.

Imagine being in a 'Walking Dead' situation, where you have been killing zombies for a couple of years, and all of a sudden they come up with a cure.

On the flipside, imagine you are a flesh-eating zombie for a couple of years, you kill and eat everyone you love, and then they cure you - and you remember everything.

It was a pretty interesting take on the same old story.

Anyone read "Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse"?

Mortimer Tate was a recently divorced insurance salesman when he holed up in a cave on top of a mountain in Tennessee and rode out the end of the world. Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse begins nine years later, when he emerges into a bizarre landscape filled with hollow reminders of an America that no longer exists. The highways are lined with abandoned automobiles; electricity is generated by indentured servants pedaling stationary bicycles. What little civilization remains revolves around Joey Armageddon's Sassy A-Go-Go strip clubs, where the beer is cold, the lap dancers are hot, and the bouncers are armed with M16s. Accompanied by his cowboy sidekick Buffalo Bill, the gorgeous stripper Sheila, and the mountain man Ted, Mortimer journeys to the lost city of Atlanta -- and a showdown that might determine the fate of humanity.

It's kind of funny, in an over the top sort of way.

I just finished volume VII of Holding Their Own. I think this is the last one. It was good. Very fast paced and a quick read.

Definitely a good series - fourth one is set to be released in June
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H87S3BG/

The Arisen series by James Glynn is great - powered through that this winter (5 or 6 books IIRC)

With a long commute down 93 to Boston I've taken to audiobooks. The problem I have is most of this type of fiction is either a) read by people who just shouldn't be reading aloud, b) was recorded in a water-filled bathroom piled up with packing peanuts and slinkys or c) just don't have an audiobook version available. The "Enemies" series was VERY well written but was almost unlistenable as every character regardless of age, race or gender sounded just like a slow reading 50 year old man from Kentucky. The first "Holding Their Own" was so bad I returned to to Audible and haven't tried any of the rest. I was considering recording my own version of "299 Days" and sending it to Glen Tate and if he liked it, offer up to do the rest. Quality recorded prepper\apocalypse\dystopic audiobooks longer than 3 hours are in very short supply, IMHO.

Two books I read growing up:
The Boy Scout Fieldbook. Geared toward teens, but still has a lot of useful info.
How to Survive on Land and Sea. My dad got that when he was in the Army. I actually wrote a book report on it.

Not sure if I've mentioned these before but Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and Verne's Mysterious Island are both filled with ideas and info on everything from building a shelter to how to make dynamite.

There is a now defunct book publisher named Lindsay's Books that republished hundreds of public domain "old" books on every old school science and technology subject under the sun. How they made near perfect flats thousands of years ago. Working sheetmetal to fabricate horseless carriages. All the technologies worked with primitive tooling that just might come in handy someday.

Still looking for a similar publisher.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Last edited:
Steven Konkoly has a followup series to The Jakarta Pandemic called The Perseid Collapse that's pretty good. It takes place 6 years after Jakarta and has some surprises in it. I just wrapped up book 2 on Audible.

Steven Konkoly has a followup series to The Jakarta Pandemic called The Perseid Collapse that's pretty good. It takes place 6 years after Jakarta and has some surprises in it. I just wrapped up book 2 on Audible.

Just downloaded it. I don't know how this one slipped past me. Thanks.

I just finished Hopf's two books in "The New World Series" and now cannot wait for the third to come out this month. Honestly some parts really set you thinking if you're a family guy with kids. I listened to them on audible as I drive a shitload. The guy narrating is not that great, but the story makes up for it. Highly recommend everyone pick them up.

Following the genre similar to Rawle's, and Lights out, is "Grid Down: Reality Bites" by Bruce "Buckshot" Hemming.

I'm in the middle of this right now, and have made it this far only because I'm stubborn. The writing is painfully bad. The concept is good, and the story lines are pretty good, but the writing style is like that of a cat on speed; all over the place. I will finish it, but it will take a while.

Not sure if I've mentioned these before but Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and Verne's Mysterious Island are both filled with ideas and info on everything from building a shelter to how to make dynamite.

There is a now defunct book publisher named Lindsay's Books that republished hundreds of public domain "old" books on every old school science and technology subject under the sun. How they made near perfect flats thousands of years ago. Working sheetmetal to fabricate horseless carriages. All the technologies worked with primitive tooling that just might come in handy someday.

Still looking for a similar publisher.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

This Page: http://www.lindsaybks.com/link1.html
has some links to some of the books that were sold through Lindsay

Just finished Equipping Modern Patriots. Eh. It made my commute go by. For me, the first 2/3 was somewhat Rawlesian but the last 1/3 felt disjointed--almost like it was a different book that the writer decided to make fit. It wasn't "terrible" but it certainly isn't among the best of the genre.

http://www.amazon.com/EMP-Equipping-Modern-Patriots-Survival-ebook/dp/B00G0U6F7G
http://www.amazon.com/EMP-Equipping-Modern-Patriots-Survival/dp/B00J8SWIRS/ref=tmm_aud_title_0

I'm a few hours into this one. It's got some decent ideas/plans but the writing is not great and it does have that disjointed feel. The way he talks deeply about initial plans and then skips time segments is very odd.

The sixth book in the Arisen series (Awesome IMHO) is out
http://www.amazon.com/Arisen-Book-Six-The-Horizon-ebook/dp/B00K6BGMIW

I also picked this up and look forward to reading it - a good list of authors:
http://www.amazon.com/End-Nigh-Apocalypse-Triptych-ebook/dp/B00IAT49JQ

Listening to End Nigh first book. Honestly it's not good. If you're checking out SHTF books for ideas this is not the book. It's basically a bunch of random short stories completely unrelated. Half of them are entertaining, the other half are lame and poorly written. If you like short stories that have little substance go for it. Otherwise skip it.

See my update below.

Last edited:
Update:

So, I finished the End is Nigh. Though I had to skip two stories due to sheer horribleness, there were a couple good ones in the second half. I might get the next book when it comes out after all.

Now listening to American Exit Strategy. Good so far, three hours in. Kind of a "present situation taken up a notch" book.

Back
Top Bottom