• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to meet if the SHTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing, when I was a kid I knew all my neighbors and they all knew the neighborhood kids. Nowadays I know only one neighbor(hardly) and the others couldn't care less to even acknowledge a nod of the head or wave, they just look down at their feet. Lots of city folks starting families have moved into the area in recent years and have brought their city mentality of keeping to themselves with them which is fine.//
That's odd since we live in the city and know most of our neighbors on a first name basis, and all their kids.

Can't think of a worse place to br in a crisis than most suburbs, home of The Entitled.

How about a local bjs costco or walmart where we can take it over and clean it out as a group bfore the "super predators" from the cities realize whats going on and decide to come out and take it for..... oh yeah... they go for the liqur [sic] stores and flat screens first...
That can't happen, "They" wont have vehicles because of EMP in the OP's scenario. Doesn't sound like demand for tv's will be very high.

Everyone is supposed to leave their house and community and walk to a suburban shopping mall that doesn't even have a grocery store to collect with others they've never met.

That can't happen, "They" wont have vehicles because of EMP in the OP's scenario. Doesn't sound like demand for tv's will be very high.

Everyone is supposed to leave their house and community and walk to a suburban shopping mall that doesn't even have a grocery store to collect with others they've never met.

TV's were looted after Katrina, even with no power. Looters loot, they don't make a shopping list for their undocumented shopping. Few looters are going to have the situational awareness to know that the power isn't coming back on. They can have the 72" 4k LED screen, I would be going for batteries and canned food if I weren't already preparing.

If you survive the initial hit, take care of yourself and your family. All I have is where I live. My house is where I will remain..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

So based on this thread when SHTF I'll be heading to a mall parking lot, await the arrival of an old truck running on Fri-o-lator oil driven by some dude with a tin foil hat, decide whether steak sauce or bbq sauce is best with people meat and then head to walmart to stock up on agreed upon sauce and moon pies. We'll then hit a packy and a dunks on our way out of town to complete our food prep. After that we'll be looking for like minded folk to team up with....who's in?

You forgot the Twinkies.

Also if there are a lot of cars in the road because they won't run you won't be able to get anywhere. There will be the biggest traffic jam ever.

X2, anything gas pre 73 could have a ignition module. I have a 1984 Mercedes 300SD with a 5cyl diesel, all mechanical and I even ran it on 50/50 waste oil and fuel.
My only concern is being one of the only cars on the road makes you a big target.

Jason.

Last edited:
Friday before Columbus Day , 6.5 hours from Boston to loon mtn.
shtf? Buy a boat, that will load a horse.[laugh]

Take the sea rt. To strawberry banks and hoof it from there.

TV's were looted after Katrina, even with no power. Looters loot, they don't make a shopping list for their undocumented shopping. Few looters are going to have the situational awareness to know that the power isn't coming back on. They can have the 72" 4k LED screen, I would be going for batteries and canned food if I weren't already preparing.

I have an idea... WE know the TV's will be useless, but the masses do not. If the town you live in gets word that a hoard of people is heading your way, round up all the TV's from the stores you can, and block the road with them. That should slow them down while they loot the TV's.

​Sad that no one has suggested the most obvious safe space during the apocalypse:
Boston Shooters Pizza

That's odd since we live in the city and know most of our neighbors on a first name basis, and all their kids.

Can't think of a worse place to br in a crisis than most suburbs, home of The Entitled.

Agreed, when I lived in HP we knew pretty much everyone around us but something strange happens to folks when they move from the city to the sticks. It's as if they feel a sense of freedom that they don't(which again is fine) have to associate with neighbors because they're no longer on top of each other and they now have something many of them haven't experienced before, breathing room.

I've tried to get to know my newest neighbor but his wife seems to want no part of it. In the three or so years they've lived here I've only briefly spoken to him on a handful of occasions before she calls him for something and have only once manage to get a "hi" out of her before she took of back inside.

Also if there are a lot of cars in the road because they won't run you won't be able to get anywhere. There will be the biggest traffic jam ever.

Getting home is always a concern with traffic, that's why I have RxR routes and powerline trails mapped out from my normal travel areas.

The car was more of a if I survive the 1) a bomb drop 2) the sudden effects of a EMP attacks 3) massive civil unrest 4) ????? and lastly gathering up my family from where ever they might be.
So that's why I said it will run be with a bigger target on my back even after the fact of what happens.

Jason,

Lets all meet at Maura's. She can make us hot cocoa and I am sure her armed force will have no issue protecting us. Only fair for her putting us at risk

Friday before Columbus Day , 6.5 hours from Boston to loon mtn.
shtf? Buy a boat, that will load a horse.[laugh]

Take the sea rt. To strawberry banks and hoof it from there.
We we were going S on 93 Sat morning the traffic was crazy from Lincoln to Manchvegas.. Damn those leaves are popular!

We actually keep our inflatable dinghy and outboard in the garage. I suspect in a really bad ocean storm our "real" boat would be damaged. Shoal draft is a better bet.

Suburbs vary a lot. i think a lot of the wealthy towns are like that, nobody knows anyone. Our neighborhood is all working class - engineers, ex-cops, contractors, small business owners, and we know our neighbors and like them.

If you haven't noticed in some lowes and Home Depot's lately that you have no cell coverage, keep an eye out for that. I was in a few newer ones up in NH lately that were dead zones. Those batteries might still be good if the target coordinates shift a bit north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom