• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Post SHTF Skill ???

What can you do that would set you apart from others? Obviously something like "type 100 words per minute" isn't a real necessity or importance, while someone that knows advanced Herbal/medicine would be very valuable.

Thanks.

Anti social, trusts no one, reloads own ammo . Can relocate with 15 mins notice. Land navigation without electronic means. Advanced 1st aid knowledge. Ate my 2nd wifes cooking for 4 years I probably can go without food for almost that long again.

Last edited:
My standard litany is most “Preppers”

Enough guns and ammo for 100 years
Enough food for a month
Enough water for a week
Enough medical supplies for a day
Enough medical skills for an hour

Kind of interesting last week when we were playing hockey and a guy got cut and needed some butterfly bandages. 25 guys there, two had butterflies.

I have a little bit of emergency med and know a little bit about herbals. I would like to learn more. I think Mother Earth News had an article about a basic medicinal herb garden that might be a good idea. if I ever have the time and money I wouldn't mind taking one of the Patriot Nurse classes or more trauma based classes. Youtube used to have vids on suturing.

Only if she's hot

Post SHTF when there isn't any make up, hair color or waxing services most of you will need to redefine "Hot".

Otherwise you'll end up like the dude in the movies trying to save the one useless and helpless but beautiful woman in the group hoping you'll get laid one last time before the end.

What can you do that would set you apart from others? Obviously something like "type 100 words per minute" isn't a real necessity or importance, while someone that knows advanced Herbal/medicine would be very valuable.

Thanks.

Good Sunday morning thread idea!

I am a jack of all trades, master of none, good with my hands, work smarter - not harder, yada- yada. Could I make it Off the Grid? Absaf*ckinlutely! I think it would be a refreshing change as a matter of fact! Let that SHTF....

Word for the day, bandenkrieg, from the 30 Years War.

SHTF has happened over and over in human history and the most useful skill will be leadership. The lone wolves won't stand a chance against the small armies assembled by talented leaders.

Last edited:
There are various ways I could prove useful, have been a knifemaker (hobby with hand tools only) for 30 years, 50 years traditional archery experience, could teach it and also have many years arrow making experience. Many years in computers, and before someone says there will not be computers, says who, who knows what form this so called SHTF might and entail. My wife is an RN with many years of experience, including ER.

Not much. Building/starting a fire, running a woodstove, some cooking, some vegetable gardening, a little foraging. Would love to dive deeper into foraging skills, especially for different seasons.

Had I known when I was a boy that we may face this reality, I wouldn't have quit boy scouts, learned more skills, been more fit and outdoorsy. Now in my 40's, I have construction and mechanical skills that may or may not translate, but I got a family to feed, so I will probably have to reconcile the fact that I would need to be a stone cold killer, apex predator type and kill my neighbors and towns people for their supplies and food.
SHTF=everything out the window, including the constitution, the commandments, being a good neighbor . It would be 10,000 BC as far as I'm concerned.

Post SHTF when there isn't any make up, hair color or waxing services most of you will need to redefine "Hot".

Post-SHTF HOT!
Will be this...
tumblr_okvphdiig01u501aoo1_400.gif

Not This...
gilligans-island-31.jpg

I will probably have to reconcile the fact that I would need to be a stone cold killer, apex predator type and kill my neighbors and towns people for their supplies and food.

“Efficient resource gatherer”

Back
Top Bottom