SHTF reading

Hello from NH,
I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone. I read allot and have read more than a few books in this category, I just finished reading the Going Home series by A. American, It was a pretty good 4 part series. I would definitely recommend it. A while ago I read the Apocolypse Law series by Grit and that was very good as well.

past few weeks I've "read:"

jakarta pandemic, good but it took forever for the main character to finally start getting serious, there were times i was screaming for him to just shoot the person giving him shit

After that i took a SHTF book break and read:

American Sniper: great read

No Easy Day: read it, its great

Lions of Kandahar: Excellent book, really changed my perspective of the ANA, Green Berets are some bad mofos

Just started reading 13 Hours, the benghazi story by the guys on the ground. Really looking forward to reading this

Next I think i am going to read the art of war, on war, or the book of 5 rings.

past few weeks I've "read:"

jakarta pandemic, good but it took forever for the main character to finally start getting serious, there were times i was screaming for him to just shoot the person giving him shit

After that i took a SHTF book break and read:

American Sniper: great read

No Easy Day: read it, its great

Lions of Kandahar: Excellent book, really changed my perspective of the ANA, Green Berets are some bad mofos

Just started reading 13 Hours, the benghazi story by the guys on the ground. Really looking forward to reading this

Next I think i am going to read the art of war, on war, or the book of 5 rings.

I have read The Art of War and Book of 5 rings numerous times and they both should be mandatory reading IMHO.

I agree, great first couple of books but then they get weighed down in a bunch military jargon and our once drug salesman is now a marine captain. A little too much.
In real life, the author is a pharmaceutical rep. I did that work for three years and can confirm that the flexible schedule and independence allows people to do side projects like self-publishing six books, selling real estate, etc.

Pharma sales pays very well also as long as you maintain your goals, which gives mental freedom necessary to choose how to spend your time and provide for future (investments, insurance, property, and eventually SHTF once everything else is covered).

Pfizer hired reps almost exclusively with military or division 1 or semi-pro athletics experience. The main points they care about are self-discipline and following orders without question. College cheerleaders (men and women) are favored as well - they have a lot of training in superficial optimism, public engagement and are generally physically attractive. Medical device companies hire from the ranks of former Olympic athletes, especially female hockey players in this region of the country.

Thanks for the info ABC, I didn't know that.

William Forstchen (One Second After) has a novella out called Day of Wrath. In it he tells how less than 150 ISIS jihadists could bring America to her knees. It is a chilling read and like someone else said above, time to buy more ammo.

Day of Wrath

I just finished reading "The Witch of Hebron" and "A History of the Future", both follow ups to "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler...
All three books are highly recommended. They are not shoot'em up B-Movie story line books, but well written and thought out books that really drive home the authors opinion (one which I share to a large extent) that the collapse is as much one of individuals and their relationships with each other as it is of the financial and political systems.
Kunstler himself has an interesting blog. He is definitely more of a hippy guy than a gun toting knuckle dragging ass kicker... He has a great perspective and is a fantastic writer. I feel like I would enjoy reading a VCR manual if he had written it his use of language is so skilled. He manages it without coming across as presumptuous or effete, too.

I've been reading the Monster Squad series by Heath Stallcup. Its different and has some pretty good action. Some parts are kinda slow but if you read books fast it prolly won't bother u

William Forstchen (One Second After) has a novella out called Day of Wrath. In it he tells how less than 150 ISIS jihadists could bring America to her knees. It is a chilling read and like someone else said above, time to buy more ammo.

Day of Wrath

I just finished the Day of Wrath and it was a disturbing story about ISIS

Day of Wrath

This was an awesome read and scary as hell. The moonbat school teacher was a great addition to the realism.

I just finished the Day of Wrath and it was a disturbing story about ISIS

I'm in the middle of One Second After, and while I find it very interesting and thought provoking, it reads like a history book, and isn't very thrilling or much fun. It's almost like a survey - the author just listing everything bad that could happen if an EMP hit us. It's a bit dry. At the same time, it seems exaggerated, from what I've read about EMPs.

Is Day of Wrath the same way?

I prefer more of a thriller type novel.

Haven't read the whole thread, but if anyone hasn't yet mentioned it, disaster diaries is a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the middle of One Second After, and while I find it very interesting and thought provoking, it reads like a history book, and isn't very thrilling or much fun. It's almost like a survey - the author just listing everything bad that could happen if an EMP hit us. It's a bit dry. At the same time, it seems exaggerated, from what I've read about EMPs.

Is Day of Wrath the same way?

I prefer more of a thriller type novel.

Day of Wrath is nothing like One Second After. It's multiple terror strikes on US soil.

Finished the first of the 299 Days audiobook series. I'm not sure I can explain this well, but here goes: I am not blown away from a "this is a novel of epic proportions" standpoint. It's not terribly well written like a good novel would be - not a lot of active conversations and quite a bit of 3rd person narration. That said, it struck a chord with me. Something visceral. I think a lot of people (like us - awake and aware and preparing) can relate to the story and relate to the narrated interactions. It feels real and possible. Just grabbed book 2.

I read the samples of Day of Wrath and Lights Out - I like the latter much better, cause the author writes real characters with a little humor. I find Forstchen's writing to be amateurish, dry and humorless, his books read like history books, although his subject matter is fascinating. I will probably buy Day of Wrath anyway.

Day of Wrath

Reading this now, very intense. Author tends to exaggerate threats, I doubt even 150 Navy Seals could pull off such a flawless operation in enemy territory, but still chilling.

Reading this now, very intense. Author tends to exaggerate threats, I doubt even 150 Navy Seals could pull off such a flawless operation in enemy territory, but still chilling.

Not sure how far you are in the novella but the scenario he outlined seemed like it would be fairly simple to carry out IMO. I think that is part of what made it a bit disturbing.

Not sure how far you are in the novella but the scenario he outlined seemed like it would be fairly simple to carry out IMO. I think that is part of what made it a bit disturbing.

150 seasoned (and therefore possibly on watch lists) Islamic militant coming into the US, acquiring automatic weapons, renting cars, traveling across the country, and not one getting caught before the event. Seemed far fetched.

I don't know if anyone has read it yet, but I pre-ordered "Resurrecting Home" on Audible. Comes out 12/30

The last couple pages of Day of Wrath (what the potus had to say), was the most disturbing part to me. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't read it yet. I agree that pulling of an operation like that didn't seem too far fetched to me.

Just finished Day of Wrath.

It's not far fetched when you think about how easy it would be to pull of a similar smaller scale attack. I loved the political jabs that the author continuously throws at liberals. [laugh]

Good quick read. Not for the squeemish.

I recently read 'The Ebola Wall' by Joe Nobody. It had some pretty cool material - the total quarantine of a major US city, complete lack of .gov ability to provide for those inside the wall, and ordinary Americans shoving it back up their ass.

It's a pretty short little book.

I finally finished "The Enemies Trilogy" by Matthew Bracken got stuck on Book 2 for a while since it got kinda of slow in the middle but overall I thought the books were very good. I read books 2 & 3 using the Kindle App on my iPad and paid the extra $2 for each to get the "Audible" download as well. It was pretty nice being able to transition between reading while I was home and then listening to it while driving. Kindle/Audible make it pretty seamless too.

Back
Top Bottom