• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF reading

I just finished the second (unfortunately named) "Feathers on the Wings of Love and Hate" book by John Grit.

http://www.amazon.com/Feathers-Wing...1&sr=8-1&keywords=john+grit+let+the+gun+speak

http://www.amazon.com/Feathers-Wing...sim_351_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T9GJ7JFX4G70AH01CCC

I have read all of the Apocalypse Law books by Mr. Grit, but somehow overlooked this earlier series.

Both books are great. The characters, story, and writing are all amazing. My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to have ever been a Book 3, and Book 2 definitely left things unfinished. The last chapter of Book 2 is some of the most powerful stuff I have ever read. Sadly, it seems to end there.

Recently finished the first two books of the 'Extinction Cycle' - third book out in a month
Thought it was a pretty good read overall
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJKUF1E

The "Walking in the Rain" series was pretty good overall - but the main character is 16 and I had some general disbelief that he would have been able to do everything that he did, but maybe I am naive
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Rain-Surviving-William-Allen-ebook/dp/B00SS3WBDK

Thanks for everyone else's recommendations - will have to check some of the books I haven't heard about

The "Walking in the Rain" series was pretty good overall - but the main character is 16 and I had some general disbelief that he would have been able to do everything that he did, but maybe I am naive
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Rain-Surviving-William-Allen-ebook/dp/B00SS3WBDK

Bloody Luke, I couldn't finish the series... I loved the first, liked the second and couldn't stomach the 3rd. Overnight he becomes an expert in warfare tactics, firearms, and can take on wave after wave of HS officers. He is feared by all high ranking military and loved by all women.... His character was so unbelievable at the end that I couldn't keep reading!

The books I have read and like are - one second after ,alas Babylon ,lucifers hammer , and my favorite by far is the "going home " series by A. American that is a must read.

Patriots by Rawles, fun and sorts realistic even, and no goofy alien crap

And if you like his first book, he retells the same story in the next three books.

I still haven't read his last one. Fool me three times, shame on me.

But I have re-read Patriots about 10 times. In fact, it is currently my outdoor reading book.

And if you like his first book, he retells the same story in the next three books.

I still haven't read his last one. Fool me three times, shame on me.

But I have re-read Patriots about 10 times. In fact, it is currently my outdoor reading book.
I've tried getting through The Liberators 3 times...just...bad IMO. Makes the dialog in Patriots read like a literary masterpiece.

I've tried getting through The Liberators 3 times...just...bad IMO. Makes the dialog in Patriots read like a literary masterpiece.

So I am two behind, then. I didn't read Expatriates or Liberators. I'll have to see if I can read them for free on my Prime membership. No way I am paying for another one of his books.

Not reading, but I just caught the first half hour of the movie "Stake Land" on Netflix and it is really good. Vampire Apocalypse.

Got "Going Home" by A. American last weekend and could not put that book down. I just started "Surviving Home" yesterday and so far that seems like a good read as well. Some of the theories as to "what happened" towards the end of Going Home and the beginning of Surviving Home are chillingly real in many respects. Makes you wonder if something like what has been suggested and discussed is actually in the works with the geniuses in DC?

Holy crap I started reading Lucifer's Hammer probably two weeks ago and I'm only 28%(according to Kindle) through it, I'm hoping all this character development is going somewhere. I usually blow through books without a problem but this one is killing me, as a reference I read the 299 Days series in about 4½ days(the benefits of being unemployed) IIRC.

Holy crap I started reading Lucifer's Hammer probably two weeks ago and I'm only 28%(according to Kindle) through it, I'm hoping all this character development is going somewhere. I usually blow through books without a problem but this one is killing me, as a reference I read the 299 Days series in about 4½ days(the benefits of being unemployed) IIRC.

Interestingly, I plowed through Lucifer's Hammer several years ago very quickly; on the other hand, I'm in the middle of the 299 days series, and am bogged down in book 7 something fierce. I'll try Lucifer's Hammer again when I'm done with Grant Matson and his merry band of Patriots to see if I have a different experience.

I just finished reading the sequel to 77 Days in September.

http://www.amazon.com/Daunting-Days...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1436101501

I always thought 77 Days was one of the better books in this genre. Well written and not the usual straight-to-kindle roughness that a lot of them have. This one was just as well written. Not quite as much action, but there are a lot of elements that don't appear in the typical SHTF novel. The family goes through some pretty intense stuff and I was surprised by a lot of what happened. Usually these books are pretty predictable, but not this one.

If you liked 77 Days in September, you'll probably like this one.

I just finished reading the sequel to 77 Days in September.

http://www.amazon.com/Daunting-Days...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1436101501

I always thought 77 Days was one of the better books in this genre. Well written and not the usual straight-to-kindle roughness that a lot of them have. This one was just as well written. Not quite as much action, but there are a lot of elements that don't appear in the typical SHTF novel. The family goes through some pretty intense stuff and I was surprised by a lot of what happened. Usually these books are pretty predictable, but not this one.

If you liked 77 Days in September, you'll probably like this one.

I liked these books as well.

it seems slow right up to the point the Hammer falls. (sounds like you're almost there) definitely worth it.

Just started Tomorrow War by J.L. Bourne - I'm a big fan of his Zombie-genre stories and so far, this one is pretty good.

Just finished this - great read IMO

The final (book 6) of The Remaining Series by D.J. Molles is out July 28th - probably one of my favorite series (not zombies but infected crazies)

If you like the zombie/undead/infected crazies Genre, the Slow Burn series by Bobby Adair is pretty good and well worth the 2.99 per book - book 7 just came out a week or so ago.

I'd like to add the SAS Survival Handbook to P-14's non-fiction list. Also, for those of us who have spent too much time in kitchens and not enough in the brush, Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game should be in your "go" bag as should A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game.

As for fiction, one of my favorites so far is Stirling's Dies The Fire, which puts a new spin on the post-apocalyptic survival scenario. (Spoiler alert: no guns allowed!)

I would add wilderness medicine and edible/medicinal plants as well as woodcraft to the mix. Being able to create what you need from what's available will determine who really makes it.

Back
Top Bottom