• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF reading

I thought One Second After and Going Home were garbage.

OSA is written as clichéd as you can get.

By page 25 of Coming Home, when the main character pulled out his 1,500 conveniently carried piece of gear from his neverending bag of tricks (along with make model description of every piece of gear), I had had enough.

I liked OSA by the end of it but it was tiring to read at times. Hated his next book though, Day of Wrath - now that was total crap.

I'm enjoying the Voodoo Plague series a lot more, though it's really more of an action thriller with zombies than a survivalist novel.

I know it's a hit-or-miss series for some here, but the latest in the * Home series is available now in paperback and ebook should be shortly. Audible is still a few weeks out.

Enforcing Home

I just finished reading 'Power Struggle', which was written by one of our NES bretheren:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Struggl...qid=1439916635&sr=8-1&keywords=power+struggle

It's very well written and an added bonus is that it takes place locally. I am not super familiar with the locales in the book, but if you live or spend time in those neighborhoods, I am guessing it adds to the coolness of the book.

My only real complaint about the book stems from the fact that I have probably read 100 books with very similar stories. If this were the first one I read, I would probably be blown away by it.

I do look forward to more books in the series. The first book covers a fairly short period of time after the event. It will be interesting to see how city-dwellers make out long-term. THAT would be something that I haven't seen 100 times.

Well done briz

I just finished reading 'Power Struggle', which was written by one of our NES bretheren:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Struggl...qid=1439916635&sr=8-1&keywords=power+struggle

It's very well written and an added bonus is that it takes place locally. I am not super familiar with the locales in the book, but if you live or spend time in those neighborhoods, I am guessing it adds to the coolness of the book.

My only real complaint about the book stems from the fact that I have probably read 100 books with very similar stories. If this were the first one I read, I would probably be blown away by it.

I do look forward to more books in the series. The first book covers a fairly short period of time after the event. It will be interesting to see how city-dwellers make out long-term. THAT would be something that I haven't seen 100 times.

Well done briz

Thanks, mclina. I appreciate the feedback. You've made quite a few posts in this thread, so it's clear that you regularly read the genre. It's helpful hearing from someone in my "target audience."

By page 25 of Coming Home, when the main character pulled out his 1,500 conveniently carried piece of gear from his neverending bag of tricks (along with make model description of every piece of gear), I had had enough.

That's pretty much how I felt about One Second After as well. How long did it take before they were holding public executions in the tennis courts? 2-3 days? It wasn't realistic by any means. Society would fall apart in the case of an event like that, but not THAT fast!

That's pretty much how I felt about One Second After as well. How long did it take before they were holding public executions in the tennis courts? 2-3 days? It wasn't realistic by any means. Society would fall apart in the case of an event like that, but not THAT fast!

I think you have a misplaced high opinion of the general public. It takes far less to make people riot and burn down a neighborhood within 24hrs. Yet somehow you think modern civilization basically stopping won't end up with people getting killed within a few days?

Me thinks ye have lived a sheltered life.

I think you have a misplaced high opinion of the general public. It takes far less to make people riot and burn down a neighborhood within 24hrs. Yet somehow you think modern civilization basically stopping won't end up with people getting killed within a few days?

Me thinks ye have lived a sheltered life.
I'm not saying that I don't believe there would be killing in an event like that. I'm saying that systematic public executions within two days wouldn't happen.

Methinks you're being condescending.

Well done briz

i share the same thoughts as mclina, although I am only 2/3 of the way done. No doubt it's a good book and well written and a well written book isn't always easy to find.

I was mostly annoyed by the main character. He was obviously written to be this overly righteous, holier than thou God send that had no problem seeing selfishness and vehemently cursing it just as long as it was other people...he has no problem taking the entire inventory of insulin from the pharmacy did he?

Also, I thought it was rather ridiculous that this guy had an answer or remedy for EVERYBODY who had a problem in his town. Seriously, he was like THE person anyone who was anyone came to for advise or knowledge. From the guy who had absolutely no clout or influence at all pre-SHTF.

I'm not saying that I don't believe there would be killing in an event like that. I'm saying that systematic public executions within two days wouldn't happen.

Methinks you're being condescending.

I was actually just work on my pirate talk. Aaaarrrghhh. [rofl]

I thought the last line would give away my sarcasm.

Last edited:
Also, I thought it was rather ridiculous that this guy had an answer or remedy for EVERYBODY who had a problem in his town. Seriously, he was like THE person anyone who was anyone came to for advise or knowledge. From the guy who had absolutely no clout or influence at all pre-SHTF.

Which is one of the reasons that story resonates with the guys stuck on moms basement who can't get a date.
All the guys who can't get anywhere in modern society who pine for the day when THEY'LL be the hero that everyone looks up to........

I've read a lot of post apoc fiction over 40 years and I've never understood why this book and the shattered series have the following they do other than maybe its the first book of the genre that some folks read because so many free copies are floating around the internet in PDF form

I just finished Power Struggle by Briz here on NES. I definitely look forward to the sequel... thanks for the entertainment.

I just finished Power Struggle by Briz here on NES. I definitely look forward to the sequel... thanks for the entertainment.

Finished it last night, I enjoyed it. My only complaint, guy barricades his house for fear of intruders yet locks up literally his only firearm in the house...

Finished it last night, I enjoyed it. My only complaint, guy barricades his house for fear of intruders yet locks up literally his only firearm in the house...

Thanks for reading, derek. As I was writing it, I knew that would annoy the hell out of folks on these forums. [laugh] I was trying to make him a relative n00b to firearms and almost wrote the book with him not even owning a gun, but I figured if I did that, it would be a short series, because he'd be dead in book 1. lol.

Inquiring minds want to know what kind of bedside safe it was and if it meets MA storage laws [rofl]

I'll have to pick this one up at some point, I've still got two more books in my queue.

It's here. I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Now I need to make it last more than a day or two.

Forgot that I pre-ordered it - and pleasantly surprised this morning to see it downloaded onto my kindle. Look forward to jumping into it tonight if I get the chance.

Just polished off Collision Course by Crawford. Killed it in a little over 4hrs. Good book, definitely worth picking up, wish it was longer.

Back
Top Bottom