Shooters Outpost going into Amherst NH (old Sportsmans Trading) Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, it's not 'land', (nice inference) it's a house. Tucked up in the white mountains. Literally in 2 towns. Here is the view. The white strip is an 1100 foot driveway. There's enough 'land' that I shoot off my front porch.

View attachment 282046

nice land, so there should not be any obstacles for you to obtain a New Hampshire drivers license and become a resident. Then, I'm sure that Shooters will sell you any ammunition or magazine you would like to have. If not, then stop attacking a VERY legitimate local business due your poor life choice to remain a Mass resident.

nice land, so there should not be any obstacles for you to obtain a New Hampshire drivers license and become a resident. Then, I'm sure that Shooters will sell you any ammunition or magazine you would like to have. If not, then stop attacking a VERY legitimate local business due your poor life choice to remain a Mass resident.

Show me an attack. I've merely stated that I don't agree with his extra-legal polices, but his shop, his rules. Stop ballwashing him for his policies.

You're the one who has been attacking, and suggesting fraud by migrating licenses/residency. I am a resident for many days a year, and have purchased from an FFL that choses to follow state and federal law.

There are a plethora of small/quality shops inside of a 60 min drive of shooters that don't put its customers though the same "enhanced screening" nor do they collect/retain/share information on their customers beyond whats required by law.
Lots of hate in this thread (mostly by NH residents) for Ma**h***s who like to shop tax-free and hassle-free in NH. I kinda don't blame them. Many took the initiative and made the (sometimes financially difficult) decision to escape moonbatty Massachusetts and so they think why should those who chose to stay and live under tyranny deserve any of those NH freedoms or benefits. It's a reasonable point. Plus, it is not Jim's job to fight Massachusetts tyranny. It is his job to stay in business, make a profit and avoid (as he sees fit) the insanity of Maura and her ilk.

As one of those Ma**h***s who does like to shop tax-free and hassle-free up in NH, I reiterate the statement quoted above. There are still plenty of shops up north that want Ma**h*** business and conduct that business without an overwhelming fear of Maura making it embarrassingly difficult for us. There is nothing that you need from SO that you can't buy hassle-free somewhere else. So do I have a problem with SO? Nope. Not anymore. Actually, not for a long time now.

Lots of hate in this thread (mostly by NH residents) for Ma**h***s who like to shop tax-free and hassle-free in NH. I kinda don't blame them. Many took the initiative and made the (sometimes financially difficult) decision to escape moonbatty Massachusetts and so they think why should those who chose to stay and live under tyranny deserve any of those NH freedoms or benefits. It's a reasonable point. Plus, it is not Jim's job to fight Massachusetts tyranny. It is his job to stay in business, make a profit and avoid (as he sees fit) the insanity of Maura and her ilk.

As one of those Ma**h***s who does like to shop tax-free and hassle-free up in NH, I reiterate the statement quoted above. There are still plenty of shops up north that want Ma**h*** business and conduct that business without an overwhelming fear of Maura making it embarrassingly difficult for us. There is nothing that you need from SO that you can't buy hassle-free somewhere else. So do I have a problem with SO? Nope. Not anymore. Actually, not for a long time now.

I'll just add that the quantity of spending that happens from people outside of NH in helps drive the economy, and is unarguably helping profitability. I make a point of using local trades guys when I can at our place up there, and buying local for what I use local.

ETA: I reread your post, Re: " not regulated" ... What is the functional difference between a shop that won't sell an adult ammo and one that won't sell a 100% legal rifle to an LTC holder? There isn't one, both shops are "guilty" of the same thing- making store policy not concordant with the actual laws in effect.

Mike,

You're trying to create a false equivalency between an object that is highly regulated, serialized and in many states quite literally registered........and another object that is not.....so much so that its literally a consumable.

Its like trying to say that the oil in your car that you change periodically is on par from a regulatory/registration perspective as your car.....

It never has!

Then why are customers required to SURRENDER ID to the cashier who then takes, it, holds it up in front of screen and then starts typing info into the keyboard as if they're trying to match fields on ID with fields on the screen?

If it were a simple validation of NH Res/Over 18/21 it would be fundamentally different

You seem to just love being the "fly in the ointment" You don't shop at my store, you shouldn't be butthurt by anything I do. Is your life so miserable that you feel like you should share your misery with everyone else?
Time to enjoy yourself jpk - head to the range and have some fun this weekend.
BTW: My information is protected. 4473's are only available for #1. Inspection for errors. #2. A search warrant. At no time during a ATF Inspection do I allow any photocopying of any of them. As far as anything else goes: It's none of your business. If you continue to spread the BS about us sharing customer information - A different & expensive conversation will be in your future. Don't take my kindness for weakness.

Jim,

I'm not trying to be a fly in ointment

I'd like to feel comfortable enough to start shopping in your store again.

It would be nice to be able to actually see whats behind the counters wrt non regulated bits, same with mags

And if I'm going to be asked for ID and its pretty obvious that folks are recording info from id into computer then its a fair question regarding how that is stored/used/etc.

If thats NOT correct and my experiences where somehow an aberation then you could clear up the information/id question with a one or two sentence response.....thats on you, not me because I'm not the only one thats had that experience in your shop

Then why are customers required to SURRENDER ID to the cashier who then takes, it, holds it up in front of screen and then starts typing info into the keyboard as if they're trying to match fields on ID with fields on the screen?

If it were a simple validation of NH Res/Over 18/21 it would be fundamentally different
When I lived in MA and went there, I guess they forgot to do that...every single time I shopped there...

Looking forward to the Amherst store, I drive by at least once every weekend. My only humble suggestions would be an online (somewhat realtime) used inventory, and a selection of powders (I want to try H335 but don't want to have to order lots to offset hazmat + shipping).

Good luck and if there really is a NES meet 'n greet and I can make it, I'm in.

When I lived in MA and went there, I guess they forgot to do that...every single time I shopped there...

Looking forward to the Amherst store, I drive by at least once every weekend. My only humble suggestions would be an online (somewhat realtime) used inventory, and a selection of powders (I want to try H335 but don't want to have to order lots to offset hazmat + shipping).

Good luck and if there really is a NES meet 'n greet and I can make it, I'm in.

In fairness to SO, I never saw them enter any data either, and when Obamascare was happening and .22 was being rationed, I'd often go on the way North, and again South. (if they were open when we were passing Exit 9)

Can't speak for recent application of the policy, as I stopped going.

In fairness to SO, I never saw them enter any data either, and when Obamascare was happening and .22 was being rationed, I'd often go on the way North, and again South. (if they were open when we were passing Exit 9)

I can't speak for recent either, although when skimming through I believe multiple people confirmed they are not entering/tracking license data, only visually verifying.

In full disclosure I haven't been to SO in Hooksett in maybe a year or a little more. For ammo I use reload and use targetsports, and for firearm purchases I chiefly go milsurp and use my C&R. For MSRs I assemble them so other than the lower, I don't need a shop. For everything else I have an FFL that responds quickly to text/emails, accepts gunbroker purchases eagerly, and only charges $20 for a transfer.

I do have a need for a shop with reloading components for incidentals. And maybe the occasional nice used piece. And on top of it all, I'll take any LGS over having the space used for another vaping shop or "luxury condos."

To see a couple of MA residents complaining about SO's policy seems to reveal a strange thought process: If you are buying products which you can legally have in MA, bring a truck and you can buy all you can afford. You're taking advantage of SO's great prices and selection. What's to complain about there? If you want to use a New Hampshire store - not just SO but any NH store - to purchase products which are illegal for you to have in MA so that you can illegally bring them home, you are asking the store to abet your committing a crime. What are the morals of a person who would do that?

If a few MA folks here spent as much time engaging in MA state politics as they do on NES, perhaps you'd have enough votes in the General Court to repeal your evil regulations.

If the cashier ever had an ID in hand, it was because it got handed to them. NEVER has anyone of my cashiers entered any customer information on anything other than firearm information. NEVER. For those that thought otherwise, I apologize for the confusion. I’m in business to sell guns and ammo, not supply information for anyone for any reason. If you have ever seen one of my people entering information, it’s because a firearm was involved. I can assure you that nothing will ever be shared unless I’m having an audit by BATF or a search warrant is involved Period!

That doesn’t happen jpk!

Jay, it never did happen. I was thinking of a rewards program in the beginning , but that would have required having the customers information that would track everything they purchased to regulate the rewards owed. It required that we enter all of that info, therefore I scrapped the idea. That was before we ever opened, and it was never done.

If the cashier ever had an ID in hand, it was because it got handed to them. NEVER has anyone of my cashiers entered any customer information on anything other than firearm information. NEVER. For those that thought otherwise, I apologize for the confusion. I’m in business to sell guns and ammo, not supply information for anyone for any reason. If you have ever seen one of my people entering information, it’s because a firearm was involved. I can assure you that nothing will ever be shared unless I’m having an audit by BATF or a search warrant is involved Period!

So, to be clear, your clerks visually inspect a persons ID to be sure they are not violating their own states laws when purchasing non-firearms merchandise but you do NOT record/scan/save the information?

And you do this, ostensibly, to mitigate liability especially for MA laws?

If that is true (I admit I may not understand what you said), then how would that help you prove anything if the MA AG targeted you? If you have no record of verifying the residence of the customer, then I am not understanding why you would check ID at all?

So, to be clear, your clerks visually inspect a persons ID to be sure they are not violating their own states laws when purchasing non-firearms merchandise but you do NOT record/scan/save the information?

And you do this, ostensibly, to mitigate liability especially for MA laws?

If that is true (I admit I may not understand what you said), then how would that help you prove anything if the MA AG targeted you? If you have no record of verifying the residence of the customer, then I am not understanding why you would check ID at all?
If the ID is from MA, they apply MA laws to the purchase, so presumably anyone from MA purchasing there would be in concordance with MA law. I guess the problem maybe you are hinting at is if someone without LTC purchased ammo at Shooters by mistake, Jim would have no way of proving they checked for the LTC.

I'm not answering for Jim because I believe that he already answered this question in this thread. Just for the sake of it though, put yourself in his or another NH FFL's shoes. If you owned a gun store in NH, how would you minimize or mitigate your risk of selling ammo/standard capacity magazines from being bought by someone in MA that did not have an LTC?

If the ID is from MA, they apply MA laws to the purchase, so presumably anyone from MA purchasing there would be in concordance with MA law. I guess the problem maybe you are hinting at is if someone without LTC purchased ammo at Shooters by mistake, Jim would have no way of proving they checked for the LTC.

I guess the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution doesn't mean anything. Plus each state being sovereign.

I'm not answering for Jim because I believe that he already answered this question in this thread. Just for the sake of it though, put yourself in his or another NH FFL's shoes. If you owned a gun store in NH, how would you minimize or mitigate your risk of selling ammo/standard capacity magazines from being bought by someone in MA that did not have an LTC?
Speaking for myself, I would not try to enforce MA law in NH. I'm sure the MA AG looks on Shooters policy as reinforcement that they can and should bully businesses in other states with impunity.

As a famous former NES denizen said, "What you tolerate, you validate". The MA AG has been validated.

Speaking for myself, I would not try to enforce MA law in NH. I'm sure the MA AG looks on Shooters policy as reinforcement that they can and should bully businesses in other states with impunity.

As a famous former NES denizen said, "What you tolerate, you validate". The MA AG has been validated.

You can look at it as if he's enforcing MA law, but as he said, he is doing what he believes is something that protects his company from a risk that could put him OOB.

If it was my store, and I wanted to make sure 5he MA AG couldn't jam me up, I would record/scan/document i was selling to. A cursory glance at an ID would not do anything to protect my business

They have cameras running on you virtually the entire time you're there so they can show that they asked you for some form of ID which you presented before paying.

Nope. Proving that they asked for ID is not the standard. Being sure you do not sell prohibited items to an out of state resident is the goal, a video of a clerk looking at "something" does not accomplish this....it might as well be a library card shown.

To be clear, I am not arguing against SO, I like and shop there. My question is, without documenting the ID, what is the purpose of even asking for it?

If it was my store, and I wanted to make sure 5he MA AG couldn't jam me up, I would record/scan/document i was selling to. A cursory glance at an ID would not do anything to protect my business

Nope. Proving that they asked for ID is not the standard. Being sure you do not sell prohibited items to an out of state resident is the goal, a video of a clerk looking at "something" does not accomplish this....it might as well be a library card shown.

To be clear, I am not arguing against SO, I like and shop there. My question is, without documenting the ID, what is the purpose of even asking for it?

Again, he can't eliminate ALL risk; all he can do is minimize his exposure to the risk.

Last edited:
Nope. Proving that they asked for ID is not the standard. Being sure you do not sell prohibited items to an out of state resident is the goal, a video of a clerk looking at "something" does not accomplish this....it might as well be a library card shown

Well it would be up to the AG to prove that it was a library card and then the obvious rebuttal question from me would be "why would my cashier ask to see a library card? He/she asked to see his LTC which is what he's showing in this video. What else do you think I would be asking to see and that they would be showing me prior to cashing them out?" There is no other logical answer.

Well it would be up to the AG to prove that it was a library card and then the obvious rebuttal question from me would be "why would my cashier ask to see a library card? He/she asked to see his LTC which is what he's showing in this video. What else do you think I would be asking to see and that they would be showing me prior to cashing them out?" There is no other logical answer.

The question you all should be asking is: What jurisdiction does Mass AG have in New Hampshire on sales that are lawful in the state of New Hampshire?

I thought you folks here were "No Compromise Defenders of the Second Amendment and The United States Constitution?

I guess you folks only talk the talk!!

The question you all should be asking is: What jurisdiction does Mass AG have in New Hampshire on sales that are lawful in the state of New Hampshire?

I thought you folks here were "No Compromise Defenders of the Second Amendment and The United States Constitution?

I guess you folks only talk the talk!!

MA AG has no jurisdiction in NH. If you read the whole thread, you would maybe understand Jim's reasoning behind his policy (as he discussed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom