shipping firearms via ups and fedex

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I tried to ship a handgun to the manufacturer for repair and the fedex and ups locations I tried refused to accept it.I found a fedex location in Wilmington that would accept it.Staples will not allow ups to accept firearms.Fedex located in Kinkos is also not allowed. They said they're not licensed. This is something new since I've shipped through them before.

I've shipped through UPS, but the smaller (UPS store, etc..) offices don't accept firearms. You have to go to one of the main locations.

Right. None of the satellite locations such as Staples, Kinko's, and the franchises can accept or receive firearms. You have to do it through an actual Fedex or UPS corporate facility.

Ken

The UPS Store is not allowed to accept firearms. However, you can ship them via UPS. The only reason for this is they do not want a firearm hanging around in a store for curious, or thieving employees. Since they do ask what is in the package, there is no secret. A way around this is to bring it in packed, insure it to the appropriate value and state they are firearm parts.

I assume this is the same for Staples.

You can only ship at a UPS or Fedex depot, not any of the spinoff chains and affiliates. You have to declare them as firearms to the employee who receives the package. This is standard procedure and I've never had a problem.

You can only ship at a UPS or Fedex depot, not any of the spinoff chains and affiliates. You have to declare them as firearms to the employee who receives the package. This is standard procedure and I've never had a problem.

You can give them to a driver on a scheduled pick up as well. I have done it that way, with UPS at least, without any problem.

I tryed to ship a paintball gun (NOT a "gun". I know, completely different, just hear me out) through UPS at a UPS store. Of course, the guy refused to ship it, said his superviser said they couldn't. I went home, read there TOS and restrictions, and was very pissed off. I then checked Fedex's TOS and restrictions, same result. So, I boxed it up at home, brought it to a fedex kinkos and didn't say what was in it.
Obviously not the same situation, but I did realize why they won't ship these things at small locations, the guy at the UPS store and kinkos was clearly not smart enough to tell whether or not something was dangerous. Even though the TOS/TOU say nothing about not being able to ship these items at those locations, I understand why.
Though it shouldn't be our problem if they can't trust their employees.

The UPS Store is not allowed to accept firearms. However, you can ship them via UPS. The only reason for this is they do not want a firearm hanging around in a store for curious, or thieving employees.

Actually, I think it's because the UPS Store is a separate business unit that does not have "common carrier" status. "Common carrier" status is what allows shippers to knowingly move packages that contain items that the company and driver are not normally allowed to possess.

fed ex

tried shipping at local ups store no way, then drove to the fed ex depot in Worcester, nice place three men behind counter no one there, they refused to ship my weapon next day air, I was so pissed they were ready to call security on me, never got it shipped..

I've shipped several times through the UPS hub in W. Springfield, without a problem. Of course, they also ship Smith & Wesson through that location, so they may have seen a firearm or two before.

Same here. The UPS hub in Brockton and the FEDEX hub in Raynham gave me such a hassle everytime I shipped that I just use and FFL now.

I shipped 2 handguns from UPS hub in Brockton a number of months ago. It was with a S&W prepaid label. The woman knew it was a handgun after scanning the label. She assured me it would get TLC after she scanned it and I was out of there in about 2 minutes max.

To date, all handguns I've shipped have been pre-paid by S&W and I've never been hassled. I've used FedEx in Framingham, FedEx in Needham and FedEx Randolph for a rifle (that I did pay to ship, ground).

From what I've been told it appears (not 100% yet) that I can hand off the package to any UPS/FedEx driver that I find if I have a pre-paid shipping label on it. I have online accounts with both shippers and have done this with non-gun stuff. Just don't ship guns very often.

I've recently been shipping a number of rifles and handguns out using both FedEx and UPS. I'm dealing with both "hubs" at Bradley Int'l in Windsor Locks. I must tell you that each and every shipment has been slick as snot.

I create the shipment labels and pay for it on my computer. I'm bringing the completed shipment to the hub and just hand it to the counterperson. I ask them to look at the label and then inform them that there is a rifle in the box. Each time the young ladies there said, "thanks for letting us know", and off the box went. I had my 03 FFL with me as well as the FFL the rifle was going to but it wasn't needed. Same for FedEx and the pistol I shipped overnight (as required). I simply informed the clerk it was a pistol and they smiled and said thanks and off it went to be delivered the next day in Minnesota.

So, at least here I've had zero issue with anything. (knock on wood!) Everything has been made it on time or early, too. I'm always amazed when I read about other guys issues with the same carriers.

Rome

Rome, I think "treatment" seems to be very different for those of us who bring in pre-labeled and pre-paid packages and those that bring in a box (maybe not sealed) and stands there filling out forms.

At least that has been my experience too. They don't seem to hassle people who look like they know what they are doing and appear "professional" to them (not talking about manner of dress).

Just remember, no matter how far you break it down into "parts", there's always at least one part that is still a "firearm" under federal law, and which must be declared as such. You'll get away with this little ruse until the day the BATF men show up at your door (probably 3AM with flash-bangs, 2 dozen guys in body armor and a television crew).

Ken

sending firearms

I only use USPS, and they have accepted my firearms packages gladly.
Never a problem, and cheaper than either UPS or...ugghh...Fedex.

ace57

Yep. I always declare it for what it is, and other than one UPS location in Maryland, none of them have ever blinked.

I got static once from a clerk at the Framingham FedEx depot. I had her call someone at headquarters for clarification. That person gave some additional bad information wrt to FedEx rules, but they nevertheless took the package.

I then sent a polite letter to FedEx corporate complaining about the situation and how they had not lived up to my expectations for FedEx. A week or so later, I got an apologetic letter from FedEx corporate. In addition to apologizing, the letter indicated that they had reversed the charges on my credit card, so the shipping was free.

When you go to UPS or FedEx to ship a firearm, print out a copy of their firearms shipping rules (available on the FedEx web site) and bring it with you. Use it to educate the clerk if necessary.

So, I read this thread and a few others, I'm still not clear: can I LEGALLY ship a pistol UPS or USPS and will the manufacturer be OK with shipping it back to me? I've shipped a bunch of rifles UPS with nor problems, are the rules different with pistols?

Thanks!

no pistols via USPS unless you are a FFL

that is the short version that applies to 99.999% of us, there are a few exceptions

Back
Top Bottom