shipping firearms via ups and fedex

So, I read this thread and a few others, I'm still not clear: can I LEGALLY ship a pistol UPS or USPS and will the manufacturer be OK with shipping it back to me? I've shipped a bunch of rifles UPS with nor problems, are the rules different with pistols?

UPS is fine. Just have to declare it when you give it to them. If shipped to an FFL, that FFL can ship it directly back to you legally without having to go through an FFL in your state.

UPS or FedEx overnight (not the most expensive overnight, either. Just overnight). You can ship to your repair/overhaul site and they'll overnight it back to you when done. No issues at all. Just don't try to use USPS.

Rome

I've got a rifle that needs to go back to Savage. My company has regular UPS pickups so all I need to do is put "firearm" in the memo field and tell the driver?

Last edited:
NO!! Never identify a box that has a firearm in it. Frankly, a long gun isn't an issue at all. Just box it as anonymously as you can and ship it to Savage.

I've even abbreviated the name of the shop of it's going to "Bob's Guns and Pawn", I'd write Bob's Pawn leaving off the "gun" part. Or Harry's Gun Shop, LLC I address it to H.G.S. LLC and the street address. If you identify a long gun the box says "steal me" all over the place. Now, normally I'd tell the counterperson that there is a firearm in the carton, just so they know. However, having shipped 20 long guns during December and January, not once did it even raise an eyebrow at UPS.

So, don't identify the long guns as firearms on paper. Handguns, otoh, have to be handled as overnight shipments as I've mentioned above. They should be brought to the attention of the agent at the point of shipping. Never drop it in a pick-up box, either.

Rome

That's what I was thinking. I've never shipped any gun before so I didn't know what kind of requirements UPS needed. Tell the driver and leave it at that.

Thanks.

Ford's the gun refinishing company in Florida told me, any time you ship a gun to us and you don't want the barrel done, send it with out the barrel and it's then not considered a firearm.

Ford's the gun refinishing company in Florida told me, any time you ship a gun to us and you don't want the barrel done, send it with out the barrel and it's then not considered a firearm.

True, in context. 18 USC 44 § 921(3) defines firearm to include "the frame or receiver of any such weapon"; so for the purposes of who you can or cannot ship it to in interstate transport, it is still considered a firearm. But DMM 601 11.1(c) does not include such language about the frame in the definition of a firearm; so for the purposes of whether you can mail it it is not considered a firearm.

I shipped a rifle via FedEx this week.

I called to schedule the pick up and the driver showed up at my door thirty minutes later. Good thing I already had the rifle in a case and boxed up!

I declared the gun to him and he said, "In six years of driving, I've never picked up a firearm." I thought to myself, "U-oh, here we go!"

So I showed him this: FedEx's rules for Prohibited or Restricted Articles. He actually took the time to read it.

Then I showed him a copy of the recipient's info from the Federal Firearms License Search Engine.

After checking that the recipient's address was the same as on the BATFE webpage, he was out the door with my rifle!

It was truly an easy transaction.

OK - this might be a little off topic, but related. how would you go about packaging a gun to ship back to mfr for repair? drop it in some packing peanuts?

True, in context. 18 USC 44 § 921(3) defines firearm to include "the frame or receiver of any such weapon"; so for the purposes of who you can or cannot ship it to in interstate transport, it is still considered a firearm. But DMM 601 11.1(c) does not include such language about the frame in the definition of a firearm; so for the purposes of whether you can mail it it is not considered a firearm.

Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon

Unless removing the barrel is effectively a destructive process, I'd play it safe and consider that language leaves it a firearm even with the barrel removed. Granted, you may not be in deep shite with the BATFE, but the stuff can be just as smelly and deep over at the USPIS (except that I don't recall the postal inspectors having killed quite as many children).

Ken

how would you go about packaging a gun to ship back to mfr for repair?

I remove the bolt and wrap it in a rag. With the bolt removed, the rifle fits a little flatter in the hard case. I wrap the bolt to help keep it away from the rifle during shippment.

Next, I place the gun inside a hard case along with the bolt.

Then I build a cardboard box around the hardcase. This last time, I used a box from a snow blower that I could chop up and size just right.

Wrap up the corners and seams with packing tape.

Add a discreet shipping label.

Call your carrier of choice.

You can give them to a driver on a scheduled pick up as well. I have done it that way, with UPS at least, without any problem.
I've shipped from, and received at, work.
I've also used a drop box to ship and then received at work.

Respectfully,
jkelly

The policy is not to allow drop box shipments... and I have no doubt that if you ever had to make a claim they would throw that in your face.

OTOH, if you are shipping back to the manufacturer for warranty repair, call them and ask them to send you a shipping label. Pack the gun appropriately and call the shipper (UPS or FedEx) and ask for pickup of #123-456-789. Truck will arrive at your home and take the package.

However, if you are shipping, say a handgun for custom work, you would be in violation of regs at least and I THINK federal law also if you do not properly declare the firearm as the contents. Plus, if not properly declared, if lost or damaged, you will likely be unable to get the insurance.

It is not too difficult to find the shipping center authorized to accept the gun for shipment.

The third method is to have your FFL ship it as he can ship via Post Office at a much lower rate.

You're all mixed up.

Shipping to any FFL or gunsmith for repairs and work is fine. You don't legally have to declare it but you'd be violating the rules set by both FedEx and UPS.

If you worried about any type of shipping, take it to your local gun shop. I have found that many are very accommodating especially if you originally purchased the firearm there.

I shipped with no problem

Just within the last 2 weeks I shipped a S&W 9MM from Mass. to Texas for warranty work. Shipped it FedEx. Didn't tell them anything about what was in the box. The repair place sent it back UPS. No sign that they told them anything about what was being shipped. No problems in either direction.

I was recently advised to ship as "machine parts". [thinking]

I've used that one for a few years.
I just went thru it this week when shipping a rifle off to a buyer in Iowa.
The package was clearly addressed to a gunsmith in the midwest. I tried the two UPS locations I've used in MA previously and had the Managers give me some song & dance about "...new State regulations require us to be licensed by the State (to ship out of State? Right.)" and that UPS can only ship "Dealer to Dealer" (I offered up by C&R).
I drove over the border to RI, walked into the UPS Store, said "I want to ship this rifle", insured it, paid the bill and left.
On the way home I stopped at the UPS store in North Attleboro and showed them my shipping receipts.
When my brother in PA and I went west for a hunt a few years back he walked into a UPS store and shipped his guns and ammo off to the lodge with ZERO issues.
It isn't UPS, it is Mass and the subjects who live here.

Wrong. If UPS stores are accepting shipments, then they're violating corporate policies. It's pretty clearly iterated in their policy.

Reviving this thread, hope this doesn't upset anyone. I have two Wilson Combat pistols that need to go back to the company for some work and I know that I need to send them overnight via UPS or Fedex insured and no UPS Stores, Staples,etc will accept the package. My question is can Wilson ship the gun directly to me when the work is done and how?

Yes, via fedex overnight or UPS next day.

ETA: I take it back, not sure about FedEx's policy on handguns.

Last edited:
Guns no longer have to go next day. They can go 2nd day. I just sent a handgun a few days ago and that's what the shipping label from the mfg. said.

Back
Top Bottom