• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selectmen order Granby Bow and Gun Club to shut down controversial half-mile-long

I don't think it's all that unreasonable to submit a new build to the same type of zoning and review as if the landowners wanted to build a motor speedway or some other noisy new or greatly expanded use of the land.

That wouldn't be covered under the Massachusetts range protection law, nor does New Hampshire's expansive 2004 range regulation preemption bill allow a range to just forget to apply for permits when building major expansions.

Heck, I live in New Hampshire, and when my neighbor wanted to subdivide the lot next door and put in a new driveway, I was given the opportunity to file a formal objecting with the ZBA.

Wait....how does extending an existing range make it more noisy?

I've cleaned up a bunch of posts. Stay on topic. Don't troll. Don't play junior moderator. If someone is out of line, then report the post.

Just a reminder if you can help please do.

thanks been looking to donate whats left in my PayPal account. I will most likely never get out there but I want it to be there just in case I ever do!

Sent toGranby Bow and Gun Club, Inc
Purchase details

Granby Bow and Gun Club

Item #Legal Defense Fund

- - - Updated - - -

thanks been looking to donate whats left in my PayPal account. I will most likely never get out there but I want it to be there just in case I ever do!

Purchase details

Granby Bow and Gun Club

Item #Legal Defense Fund

- - - Updated - - -

Purchase details

Granby Bow and Gun Club

Item #Legal Defense Fund

No, I don't think that would be a good idea.

You're probably right, BUT...

Take a look around New England and you'll see lots of houses built 100, 200, even 300 years ago, still standing. Not every house built in the 1700's is still up, but I'll bet the percentage is higher than houses built today, when we make the same check in another 300 years...

Codes to protect the public heath AS POPULATION PRESSURE RISES, maybe make some sense. Codes to make holier-than-thou a-holes feel good about themselves, not so much. Guess which sort of codes/regulations we have more of.

Take a look around New England and you'll see lots of houses built 100, 200, even 300 years ago, still standing. Not every house built in the 1700's is still up, but I'll bet the percentage is higher than houses built today, when we make the same check in another 300 years...

Codes to protect the public heath AS POPULATION PRESSURE RISES, maybe make some sense. Codes to make holier-than-thou a-holes feel good about themselves, not so much. Guess which sort of codes/regulations we have more of.

I would agree to a degree, codes are useful to protect from say someone doing something to cause harm to someone else. In densely populated areas, how pissed would you be if your neighbors house burnt down and so did yours because he hacked his electrical? Now consider the same question where you have a few acres between each house. While some states do give the building inspector leeway to implement their own regs, few do unfortunately.

Take a look around New England and you'll see lots of houses built 100, 200, even 300 years ago, still standing. Not every house built in the 1700's is still up, but I'll bet the percentage is higher than houses built today, when we make the same check in another 300 years....

The older houses still standing are the houses that were built “well” at the time. The crappy houses from way back when we’re torn down long ago. So what you see now is not an accurate representation of what was built back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are also codes/regulations to protect the ricebowls of certain groups which is why, for example, you cannot do your own plumbing even if you are building a new house and have it inspected prior to hookup to any water/sewer (which would address the "protect public health" argument if that was the real reason for the ban on unlicensed, but inspected code compliant, work).

The older houses still standing are the houses that were built “well” at the time. The crappy houses from way back when we’re torn down long ago. So what you see now is not an accurate representation of what was built back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right. So the 300 yo houses still standing were... wait for it...

... built to code!

But wait! They didn't HAVE a building code. They were just built well.

Now, how many of today's newly built (to code!!) homes do you (honestly) think will be standing 300 years from now. I'll bet the percentage is less.

Last edited:
There are also codes/regulations to protect the ricebowls of certain groups which is why, for example, you cannot do your own plumbing even if you are building a new house and have it inspected prior to hookup to any water/sewer (which would address the "protect public health" argument if that was the real reason for the ban on unlicensed, but inspected code compliant, work).

If the work performed does not endanger others it ought not to matter who did it. If you built an off grid home with a well and septic (and your septic did not pose a problem for others) then it is on you to make certain the work is done properly. Rather, it should be.

The fiscal 2017 data shows the land was taxed $160,400 for the year. Without the tax break, the town would have billed $609,400 on the property, according to town calculations provided to The Republican following a public records request. That means the tax break is worth $449,000.

If this is correct the taxes would have been over half a million dollars per year?

That seems insane.

If this is correct the taxes would have been over half a million dollars per year?

That seems insane.

They're talking about the assessed value. Granby's tax rate is $18.10/thousand.

So the difference is 609.4 * 18.10 = $11030.14 versus 160.4 * 18.10 = $2903.24, or a difference of $8126.90.

I hope these neighbors have overplayed their cards at this point. They're clearly in "harassment" mode and will hopefully lose sympathy from unaffected people in the town. I wonder if any of these scumbags have unassessed improvements to their homes like finished basements or unpermitted pools in their back yards.

They're talking about the assessed value. Granby's tax rate is $18.10/thousand.

So the difference is 609.4 * 18.10 = $11030.14 versus 160.4 * 18.10 = $2903.24, or a difference of $8126.90.

I hope these neighbors have overplayed their cards at this point. They're clearly in "harassment" mode and will hopefully lose sympathy from unaffected people in the town. I wonder if any of these scumbags have unassessed improvements to their homes like finished basements or unpermitted pools in their back yards.

Thank you. So it wasn't a tax break [of $449,000.]. It was an assessment break [of $449,000.].

JFC.

ETA: Bracketed items added for clarity.

Last edited:
The no trespass was a smart move.
If they don't get anywhere with other methods there will be "Stray Bullets" showing up in their yards.
After they get dug out of the backstop.

The chapter 61/61A/61B is a legal provision to encourage land to be kept as recreational, farm, forrestry or gun range use (yes, this is listed), rather than have the land valued at it's "highest and best use" which would encourage (or perhaps financially compell) owners to put the land to that "highest and best use" - which would mean McMansions, apartments or orifice buildings.

Hopkinton Sportsmens is a great example - I suspect that despite being an "evil gun club", the people in the McMansions down the street would prefer to drive by undeveloped park like land rather than more developments or medical offices. As it stands, we have 186 acres in a prime location in an expensive town - and are extra town green space at no cost to the town other than the tax break, which is probably offset by the fact that we have exactly zero children in the school system.

Also, the tax breaks are tracked and the discount must be paid back, with an additional conveyance tax (the later depending on the # of years the land has been in chapter status) if the land is put into a non-chapter confirming use.

Last edited:
Is this new lingo for a brothel?
If one of you have gotten the reference and saved me the trouble I would have rep'ed you:

Z
orifice.jpg

Back
Top Bottom