• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selectmen order Granby Bow and Gun Club to shut down controversial half-mile-long

Granby Bow & Gun Club seeks permits for shooter sheds

GRANBY — Representatives from the Granby Bow & Gun Club appeared before the town’s Zoning Board of Appeals for a public hearing Tuesday night as the club seeks two special permits to update one shooter shed and to construct another.

The club has filed for the permits to construct a new 50-by-16 feet shooter shed in its upper firing area and update an existing 10-by-90 feet shooter shed in the lower firing area with additions such as sound suppression material, which attorneys for the club say will reduce noise heard on neighboring properties and improve safety at the range.

The public hearing took place amid a lawsuit that the club filed against the Zoning Board of Appeals in Land Court in Boston, which Justin Raphaelson, an attorney for the club, said “has been stayed pending the outcome of this permit hearing.” The club filed the lawsuit after the board issued a cease-and-desist order to the organization in September 2017, alleging that the club had violated zoning bylaws and raised significant noise complaints from neighbors of the 85 Chicopee St. property.

Granby Bow & Gun Club seeks permits for shooter sheds

From one of the Clubs officers:
Granby ZBA hearing update… I believe the hearing regarding the club’s request to place a shooting structure on the upper shooting area (1000 yards) went well last night. I think our attorneys did a great job and presented an excellent argument. The hearing was continued until May 7. On the 7th, the ZBA will perform a site visit at the club to view where the structures will be placed and then resume the hearing at 6:30 PM. It is imperative that we have as many club members/friends attend this hearing. This will likely be the last hearing on this issue. We need to show as much support for the club as possible. Turn out last night was down from previous meetings. I know people get tired of this and have lives to live, but we really need a strong showing on May 7. Hope to see you there! Thank you for your continued support!

Back
Top Bottom