• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selectmen order Granby Bow and Gun Club to shut down controversial half-mile-long

Tonight's the meeting so whoever is able to make it please do. Thank you!

Date
: Tuesday April 23, 2019
Time: 6:00pm (please arrive by 5:15-5:30pm so we can get in line and fill the front rows).
10-B West State Street
2nd Floor
Granby, MA

Thanks for the reminder! Not able to make this one but hope there will be at least some favorable decisions. Unbelievable that the range structure has been closed by the town since ~September 2017, correct?

Thanks for the reminder! Not able to make this one but hope there will be at least some favorable decisions. Unbelievable that the range structure has been closed by the town since ~September 2017, correct?
I'm not sure of the exact date but it has been closed a long time.

Tonight's the meeting so whoever is able to make it please do. Thank you!

Date
: Tuesday April 23, 2019
Time: 6:00pm (please arrive by 5:15-5:30pm so we can get in line and fill the front rows).
10-B West State Street
2nd Floor
Granby, MA

Thanks Washben. I cut and pasted this to my facebook page. Good luck tonight.

I'm not sure of the exact date but it has been closed a long time.

I was there ~end of September that year and some club members were working on the structure to correct some small cross brace 'violation'. You've seen how well built that thing is, so I was surprised that there was a problem. Anyway, the club corrected the issue immediately yet the town has held us hostage ever since their C&D order. Shall we say, 'vindictive'?

I was there ~end of September that year and some club members were working on the structure to correct some small cross brace 'violation'. You've seen how well built that thing is, so I was surprised that there was a problem. Anyway, the club corrected the issue immediately yet the town has held us hostage ever since their C&D order. Shall we say, 'vindictive'?
Yes, I was surprised to hear there was a problem with it too. As you said it was very well built. It's disgusting what the town has gotten away with.

^ 36 mins after it began? :/

The first meeting with the zoning board was over almost before it began. I think the zoning board may be been overwhelmed by the turnout. Their excuse was they had 'just' received new information and needed time to review, therefore meeting over within moments of starting. They did move to a different, bigger venue for the next meeting (school- maybe afraid of CC at the senior center? LOL) but IIRC didn't really have any new information to justify abruptly ending the first meeting.

Hope it goes well for the club. The club has taken the high road and done everything correctly and in the interest of being a 'good neighbor', while the town board continued to play games for the nasty neighbor causing the problems. My opinion of course...

Didn’t they pull that crap last time? Standing room only and within 10 mins claimed they needed time to examine new evidence ... even tho the attorney was going to present it at that time.

"Loudness" is NOT an excuse! There is a state law saying specifically that it protects against that!!!!!!!
loudness_control.jpg

The turnout at the first meeting held at this venue was standing room only. This time there were empty seats. The results of the meeting at this time is the upper range and covered lower range are still closed to shooting but the ZBA board appeared to be more open to the clubs requests this time and it actually seems that progress may be made. Another meeting is scheduled for 6:30pm on May 7th at 6:30pm so Mark your calender's and please come if you can.

Per Mass. Gen. Laws. ch. 30A, § 20(e)

(f) After notifying the chair of the public body, any person may make a video or audio recording of an open session of a meeting of a public body, or may transmit the meeting through any medium, subject to reasonable requirements of the chair as to the number, placement and operation of equipment used so as not to interfere with the conduct of the meeting. At the beginning of the meeting, the chair shall inform other attendees of any recordings.​

here is the audio from the hearing (178MB ~2 hours duration):

View: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SfNwOBz4QzYf2x3j1ewt3DLHtyUXVTIW

Last edited:
Is a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle shot at a target 1000 yards away somehow louder than if you shoot something only 100 yards away?

I'm confused

The main firing line sits lower, with a ridge behind and between it and neighbors. The 1000 yard line sits at the top of the ridge. Probably the sound will carry better from top of the ridge. No one is saying that shooting from 1000 yards is louder than from 100 yards.

Vicorjh, so that was you, eh ? The chair did inform everyone that the meeting would be recorded both public “and private. “

I now believe that ZBA meetings can be added to sausage making and politics as things you may not want to see in action. But you do need to see it.

I found myself questioning club lawyers strategy at beginning, but as events unfolded they appear to have correctly anticipated where the ZBA and neighbors were going to try to take it, and for most part cut it off.

Disclaimer. IANAL, and have no information other than being at last nights meeting, (and not having attended prior ZBA hearing felt a bit like I came in middle of a movie ). But from my observation the club legal position was the club was only there to discuss the current permit application. That legally the ZBA cannot use any alleged or actual past transgressions of zoning , permitting, or any other past activities in making their decision, that the ZBA can only base their decision on information in the application and from the hearing, and the club will only answer questions regarding the application. This defined a narrow box for discussion.

I suspect the ZBA was annoyed ( kind of human nature) being told want they can and can’t do, and that their limited role was to approve or deny the application and it is not to regulate the club. To the ZBA credit it did not show.

While the club declined to answer some questions. the town council did bring up the elephant in the room that we were here because of litigation in state land court and suggested we answer questions on the 1000 yard range. Club response was they are still separate issues and a not so veiled if we aren’t successful here we would be happy to return to land court but wouldn’t it would be better if both sides resolved it here and spent our $$ on other things?

To ZBA chairs credit, he did attempt to restrict neighbors comments to current application on the two shelters, and cut them off when they went after past issues or other issues. That eliminated 90% of their comments. Last neighbor did highlight site plan in package was not stamped by surveyor. It was resolved that club has submitted site plan with surveyors stamp.

I can’t tell you which way this will go. A lot of legal fencing at times. I believe club offer of site visit was both timely and necessary. I believe ZBA was flexible in scheduling it ASAP while keeping with notification requirements of open meeting laws. Site visit by ZBA is NOT open to public, so they cannot deliberate there. Meeting will resume immediately after site visit.

We shall see.

Again this is just my personal opinion of what I think transpired having been observer in the room. I do not represent GB&GC or anyone else. I could be entirely wrong.

Good synopsis, northny.

I found myself questioning club lawyers strategy at beginning but as events unfolded they appear to have correctly anticipated where the ZBA and neighbors were going to try to take it ...

I'll second that. As the momentum gained, the approach became more clear. The ZBA, it seems, continued to explore theories that they could use to regulate the use of the range (expanded use, etc).

Last edited:
Going to point out this really didn't get he attention it deserved for the second meeting, we tend to have an issue with this but perhaps we could figure out a better way to bring these things to attention- I for one had nothing going on last night and would have hiked out to granby instead of Cabellas if I'd known.

I think the current methodology of posting updates in the same thread might be detrimental when you consider how much goes off topic between sessions- I tend to lose interest when the first meeting ends and we bag on Healey and anti's for months and then miss the next meeting update.

Going to point out this really didn't get he attention it deserved for the second meeting, we tend to have an issue with this but perhaps we could figure out a better way to bring these things to attention- I for one had nothing going on last night and would have hiked out to granby instead of Cabellas if I'd known.

I think the current methodology of posting updates in the same thread might be detrimental when you consider how much goes off topic between sessions- I tend to lose interest when the first meeting ends and we bag on Healey and anti's for months and then miss the next meeting update.
If memory serves me correctly this was the 4th meeting held and I thought of starting a new thread but instead I bumped this the day before and the day of with the latest information on it so that it stayed near the top.

Follow-up deliberation has been verbally planned for May 7th (two weeks from yesterday).
I do not know if this means that they will also open the floor for follow-on comments. Keep your eyes open on this thread. Perhaps, use the "watch thread" feature to help.

FWIW, for some unknown reason, I only receive intermittent emails from the club. The updates from wahsben have been very helpful and I have this thread on my watch list.

Back
Top Bottom