• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selectmen order Granby Bow and Gun Club to shut down controversial half-mile-long

Anybody hear anything from the Granby folk as of late? Next steps, if any?

Last edited:
As far as I now there's still no use of the 1000yd. range and still no firing under the covered part of the regular range. You can fire from the side of the structure and the pistol pits are still able to be used.
The club last I knew was pursuing legal action against the ZBA etc. so if anyone is still able to contribute to the legal fund please do. Thank you.

Thought I'd update based on a very well written letter to abutters that Granby Bow & Gun posted on Faceplant a few hours ago.

The club is continuing to host matches, both centerfire and 22LR. The upper long range area remains closed, as does the covered pavilion. Shooting from outside the pavilion remains AOK.

Seems that the problem neighbors have been either trespassing and/or flying drones over the property. A wet t-shirt or towel from a Can Cannon would be a nice way to maintain one's privacy from nosy drones. Maybe we could borrow Lip's 10 ga double barrel?

The letter mentions the senseless waste of town funds to defend against Granby B&G's suit to fight the C&D order. I know that would be a big consideration in my town, and our town budget is probably 20X bigger than Granby's.

I can attest to the challenge of passing the long range 'orientation'. Actually, you must show up essentially 'oriented' and ready for you, your rifle, your ammo, and your optic to be quickly evaluated for a variety of firing solutions out to 1,000+ yards. It's very challenging and half of those who came to the same orientation as me did not pass. I believe that was the last orientation before the long range was closed by the town.

Below is the letter, I assume OK to post as it's on Faceplant. Well written, and a good source of info regarding what's going on with the issue:

The letter sent to all abutters last week.

Dear Neighbor,

The Granby Bow & Gun Club (The Club) thought that it may be beneficial to reach out to our abutters in an attempt to educate and explain our position regarding recent events, complaints and accusations. Please be assured that we very much want to be good neighbors as we desire to foster a community relationship.

Cease & Desist – ZBA
Unfortunately, we were never given the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you as complaints were immediately filed with various Granby Town offices when the Club became more active. These complaints led to a cease and desist order (CDO) being issued by the Town of Granby for alleged zoning violations. We disagree with the ZBA’s decision to uphold the CDO and as a result, the Club filed suit in Boston’s Land Court. We are prepared to see the case through as we feel the decision will be overturned; but we are hopeful we can reach a resolution and avoid the continued spending of thousands of your tax dollars on the Town’s legal fees. We honestly feel that this could have all been avoided if we had all just come together and talked as neighbors.

Noise & Other Complaints
Since the CDO, there has been over thirty unfounded complaints (mostly noise related) to the police department and more to Town offices regarding shooting and maintenance at the club. We believe there is a misunderstanding as to what the CDO specified which is why there has been an abundance of calls to the Police Department to report shooting at the Club. The cease & desist order did not shut down the Club, nor did it prohibit use of our shooting ranges, which includes hosting shooting matches. The CDO only precluded membership from using our upper and covered firing positions. We have not violated the CDO order and have restricted member access to these areas.

The Conservation Commission has also been stressed with unfounded complaints. We have a right to maintain our property and our berms for safety. Ignoring these, would be neglectful on our part. Continuing to call the Police Department for shooting at the Club or the Conservation Commission for baseless violations is simply a waste of the Town’s resources. As indicated, every complaint to the Police Department and the Conservation Commission has been unfounded.

Please, be aware that Massachusetts law exempts shooting ranges such as the Club’s from liability for noise and from compliance with state and local noise ordinances. Note, also, that in our area, there are two other shooting ranges and residents that shoot privately on their own property. Frequently, complaints of noise from shooting at our Club are made when there is no-one at our Club.

Lastly, without request, and before the CDO was imposed, we voluntarily restricted the use of very large caliber rifles on our ranges and limited shooting on the upper and lower shooting areas to certain times of the day and specific days of the week, as a courtesy to our neighbors.

“Bio-Sludge”
Shooters are sportsmen and conservationists. We have not, nor will we ever, apply a toxic sludge or anything harmful to the Club’s property. After careful consideration we have decided not to have Casella Organics apply their seeding product on our property. The Club has an Environmental Stewardship Plan and other conservation plans for the Club property that will help with issues such as erosion control and providing wildlife habitat. To say we would want to somehow hurt the environment and contaminate drinking water is insulting.

Safety
Safety is our primary focus. Firearms safety is engrained in all sportsmen and we at the Club hold our members to a high standard. The Club has been accused of unsafe practices regarding our shooting ranges and more specifically those shooting out to 1000 yards. Yes, there are not many shooting ranges like ours in the Northeast, but all around the country sportsmen participate in shooting sports that require them to engage targets at 1000 yards and beyond.

Like any activity involving a firearm, safety is the primary focus. All members of the Club who wish to shoot from our upper shooting area must complete a long-range orientation (LRO). In addition to being instructed on the specific safety rules associated with shooting from the upper shooting area, members must show the range officer that they have the proper rifle, ammunition and scope (optic) needed to shoot to this distance (this activity requires specific equipment which is relatively expensive and those who participate generally have a higher level of training than your recreational plinker). If they do not have the proper equipment they are not allowed to continue. If they have the proper equipment they must then demonstrate their ability to calculate a firing solution (correction for elevation and wind) for multiple targets, impacting the target or the berm next to the target. If the member can’t do this they are not allowed to shoot from the upper shooting area. The membership card of those who complete the long-range orientation is stamped to indicate proof of completion. Only LRO members are allowed access to the upper shooting line which is gated. The results of all long-range orientations are recorded and kept on file. Many of our members and range officers have over 30 years of instructional and competitive shooting experience. We know of no other shooting range that requires this level of proof of proper equipment and proficiency.

Trespassing
Unfortunately, we have had a problem with parties trespassing on Club property. This is a huge safety concern. In addition to the safety concern for the trespasser, there is also a need to protect our property which has been vandalized in recent months. We feel that the only solution is to install surveillance equipment along our property borders for safety purposes.

We have also had an issue with persons flying drones over the property. Please be advised that there are specific laws regarding the flying/use of drones and the audio/video recording of persons. If we continue to see drones flying over our property, we will be left no choice to report same to the proper authorities. You would not want a drone flown over your house, so please respect the privacy of our members.

Summary
We understand that some folks are not supportive of firearms, the shooting sports, or the recreational activity at the Club. This is unfortunate, but the ZBA at the Club’s appeal hearing affirmed the Club is an existing non-conforming entity. This means that our Club was in existence prior to zoning laws and that we have a right to exist as a shooting range as we have done for over seventy-one years.

We wish to be good neighbors and will seek every reasonable opportunity to do so. We believe there has been a lot of misinformation disseminated which has led to wild speculations and inaccurate conclusions. Feel free to email the Club’s Vice President at
(deleted by me) with any issues you’d like to discuss. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Granby Bow & Gun Club, Inc. Est. 1947
Board of Directors

Granby and other long-distance ranges should be a "Protected National Heritage Site" or whatever it would be called, due to the fact that Our Nation's Army, Navy and Marines need young snipers who have some experience with long distance shooting marksmanship. As far as I'm concerned this is a National Security issue.

If they were smart, they’d delete the words “more active” in the beginning of their statement.

Naaa....how-else to demonstrate that the Club enjoys an 'even-greater' support from the Community? Otherwise, someone is liable to get the idea that if there are fewer patrons of the Club, the blow-back from infringing on their rights will be small.

letter is pure fail. the club leadership still does not understand the mindset of an anti. they want your club forever gone, closed, finished, kaput. they are not interested in negotiation, reasoning or being "good neighbors". the club seems to think they're being good boys by keeping the upper range closed (the one on the right that sits higher)...trust me these loonies will be coming after your main range next!

when i was a member there I tried to explain the importance of keeping a low profile and not broadcasting every club doing on facebook. it is truly a hard-learned PSGWSP lesson for the club leadership and members. my hope is that other clubs take note of exactly how Granby directly contributed to their own issues.

bring a club onto facebook and kiss the club goodbye.

letter is pure fail. the club leadership still does not understand the mindset of an anti. they want your club forever gone, closed, finished, kaput. they are not interested in negotiation, reasoning or being "good neighbors". the club seems to think they're being good boys by keeping the upper range closed (the one on the right that sits higher)...trust me these loonies will be coming after your main range next!

when i was a member there I tried to explain the importance of keeping a low profile and not broadcasting every club doing on facebook. it is truly a hard-learned PSGWSP lesson for the club leadership and members. my hope is that other clubs take note of exactly how Granby directly contributed to their own issues.

bring a club onto facebook and kiss the club goodbye.

On top of that STOP COMPROMISING! "Voluntarily" closing ranges, or limiting shooting times just turns into the new normal that they are negotiating from. It isn't seen as a temporary thing that you did to be nice, next they will be back looking for more, starting at your new baseline. It is no longer good enough that you stopped shooting on sundays before 1pm, now they want no shooting on sunday at all and the idea that you would go back to starting at 9am is laughed off.

... bring a club onto facebook and kiss the club goodbye.

The club is a target no matter what. Keeping a low profile probably would NOT alter any timeline, but frankly, hiding in the shadows and staying out of sight is a guarantee of being trampled.

SUNLIGHT is the best antiseptic.

Gun clubs are not red headed stepchildren.

Granby rifle range is open 8 am to dusk everyday. No Sunday morning restriction that I know about and none listed on club web sight.

No ranges were voluntarily closed, the areas closed are due to restraining order that is being fought in court.

Not sure where above posters are getting info from to complain about “voluntary compromises” being made in those areas.

Regarding caliber restrictions, if you are a club member you should know the background. (I see no benefit to providing those details on a public forum.) If your not a club member and want to be upset about it not knowing details, knock yourself out. I agree with the caliber restriction decision based on info I received as club member.

I like that the club is fighting in court. I like the letter as PR attempt to prevent anti’s from controlling narative in community with lies, to point out town $$$ being spent in court, that police resources being squandered on false complaints, and that regardless of court outcome gun ranges will remain. I LOVE that club recently expanded existing range to 500 yards and is holding PRS matches monthly.

I am not a board member or officer of the club, but I do think the club leadership is generally getting it right.

The letter should have been reviewed by an attorney.

At a minimum, it should have contained wording sufficient to qualify as a "no trespass notice" under MGL and stake out a claim that the clubs position is that flying drones is unlawful trespass. You can't prosecute for trespass unless the property is posted according to certain standards or a formal "trespass notice" has been given to the person you want prosecuted. Besides enabling prosecution (which probabkly will not go anywhere), formal notice will make it hard for trespassers to argue they "had permission" when they trespassed to "gather evidence".

Furthermore, once a battle has reached the point of "I'll pay my attorney to talk to the attorney you are paying", it can be bad form to discuss anything related to the case without the presence of, or advice of, your legal counsel. It would be better for such a letter to be on law firm letterhead, with "If you want to discuss the matter directly with the club officers, contact this office to arrange a meeting". To do otherwise is to bring a knife to a gunfight.

The letter should have been reviewed by an attorney.

At a minimum, it should have contained wording sufficient to qualify as a "no trespass notice" under MGL and stake out a claim that the clubs position is that flying drones is unlawful trespass. You can't prosecute for trespass unless the property is posted according to certain standards or a formal "trespass notice" has been given to the person you want prosecuted. Besides enabling prosecution (which probabkly will not go anywhere), formal notice will make it hard for trespassers to argue they "had permission" when they trespassed to "gather evidence".
When this first got ugly last year, the club did have formal letters of no trespass delivered to a select list of individuals, (and I believe there was some involvement with the local police in the process, I don't recall if they were just copied or what )

This is first I have heard about drones.

I'm not sure I would have advertised surveillance .
All your doing is giving them a heads up to take measures not to be identified.
Press max charges on anyone caught .

The club is a target no matter what. Keeping a low profile probably would NOT alter any timeline, but frankly, hiding in the shadows and staying out of sight is a guarantee of being trampled.

Granby rifle range is open 8 am to dusk everyday. No Sunday morning restriction that I know about and none listed on club web sight.

No ranges were voluntarily closed, the areas closed are due to restraining order that is being fought in court.

Not sure where above posters are getting info from to complain about “voluntary compromises” being made in those areas.

Regarding caliber restrictions, if you are a club member you should know the background. (I see no benefit to providing those details on a public forum.) If your not a club member and want to be upset about it not knowing details, knock yourself out. I agree with the caliber restriction decision based on info I received as club member.

I like that the club is fighting in court. I like the letter as PR attempt to prevent anti’s from controlling narative in community with lies, to point out town $$$ being spent in court, that police resources being squandered on false complaints, and that regardless of court outcome gun ranges will remain. I LOVE that club recently expanded existing range to 500 yards and is holding PRS matches monthly.

I am not a board member or officer of the club, but I do think the club leadership is generally getting it right.

When this first got ugly last year, the club did have formal letters of no trespass delivered to a select list of individuals, (and I believe there was some involvement with the local police in the process, I don't recall if they were just copied or what )

This is first I have heard about drones.

See above for accurate accounts of the situation. Well put, guys.

I was quite upset over the caliber restrictions and still am a bit bent as I always am when the many are restricted by a very small number of boneheads- perhaps only one. However, I completely understand why the decision was made and of course will abide by it. I heard a compromise might (don't take it to the bank) be possible for scheduled large cal days when a RSO is present.

Squib, I don't disagree about the Faceplant thing- too 'open' to those who wish to cause problems for the club.

I do disagree that the letter was a fail. To me it sends the message that the club is not going anywhere and is continuing to serve the membership and local shooting community despite the C&D's. It affirms that they are in it for the long haul and will continue to pursue their case. I don't think it was really for the anti's- it simply highlights all the crap that the anti's have been pulling and also brings attention to the assumed expenses associated with the town fighting the club on behalf of a very few unhinged individuals. Most citizens may be ambivalent to the club, but I bet there are many who won't want to see the town continue to waste resources.

I agree with northny that the club leadership is generally getting it right.

Yep. Everyone NOT in the arena is right there telling us coulda woulda shoulda. Keyboard experts all.

Thanks and good luck with your sichuation out there.

This. Clubs need to attract new membership, and just existing is not sufficient to do that. Put it out there, host the matches, have fun and bring in new people. Not just shooters new to the club, but people new to shooting in general. That's what social media can do.

The antis are gonna anti no matter what.

A new emai from Granby:

mail
Dear Members,

The ZBA hearing date has been set and we need your support!!

The Granby Zoning Board of Appeals has scheduled a hearing on Tuesday April 23, 2019 at 6:00pm regarding the Club's upper and lower shooting areas (which are currently under a cease and desist). The ZBA will be hearing arguments and making a decision on the special permit application the Club has filed. If granted, we will be allowed to reopen the lower shooting structure on the 100 yard line and we will build a new covered shooting structure on the upper area pad that will allow us to once again shoot out to 1015 yards.

PLEASE PLAN ON ATTENDING THIS MEETING. WE NEED EVERY MEMBER AND CLUB FRIEND TO COME AND SHOW THEIR SUPPORT FOR THE CLUB!!

Date: Tuesday April 23, 2019
Time: 6:00pm (please arrive by 5:15-5:30pm so we can get in line and fill the front rows).
10-B West State Street
2nd Floor
Granby, MA

Should there be a location change for the meeting, we will inform you asap.

Thank you,

GB&GC BOD

Watch out they don't do the whole T shirt thing and "reserved seating". Gotta stay ahead of the curve.

Just a reminder that this is tomorrow night. If you can make it there please do. Thank you!

Date: Tuesday April 23, 2019
Time: 6:00pm (please arrive by 5:15-5:30pm so we can get in line and fill the front rows).
10-B West State Street
2nd Floor
Granby, MA

Back
Top Bottom