Search engines being controlled. Results not what they appear to be.

Even if the internet was honest, AI bots feeding you the information they think you want, puts the blinders on you.
It feeds similar content to what you're already thinking - leaving no diversity outside of your assumed 'profile'.

I've noticed what this guy is saying on many occasions searching consumer goods - furniture for example. Same old results/retailers, page after page. Thought I was nuts at first but, it was real. If you decide on a political topic, it's more obscene.
I stopped using google (all services) well over 5 years ago. Other search engines were giving me more complete and varied results...for a while.
Duckduckgoose joined the evil empire a couple years back.
If you borrow a phone or laptop from somebody else (say a hard left/green/etc coworker) do you see different results when you search for consumer goods?

I doubt the consumer goods search is personalized to that degree -- they feed you what their real master, the advertiser, is paying to have fed, not particularly personalized, at least not beyond a vague demographic the advertiser requested as their target.

Yea DDG was good for a while, then Google bought them out in the past year or two.
[Citation Needed]

Brave is just a search engine or a whole browser?
You can use Brave Search from any browser.

Your browser would still be tracking your search terms and where you visit, and could manipulate the search results you actually see, especially if you have any less-than-reputable extensions loaded.

Last edited:
Bring back WWWW (World Wide Web Worm) and Alta Vista.

I bet Alta Vista would be easy to bring back, but probably a lot of trickery to fool it.

If you borrow a phone or laptop from somebody else (say a hard left/green/etc coworker) do you see different results when you search for consumer goods?
Well, I mean it is possible I did reach the end of the internet for those search terms...and you bring up a good point. But, no, I tend not to compute when away from my desk.

However my GF has been 'big brothered' on more than one occasion where she had been merely thinking about particular things - never searched for them - and ads began appearing.
Predicative algorithms baby. 'They' think they know what you want and prioritize that to your feed. = Tunnel vision

I doubt the consumer goods search is personalized to that degree -- they feed you what their real master, the advertiser, is paying to have fed, not particularly personalized, at least not beyond a vague demographic the advertiser requested as their target.

[Citation Needed]

You can use Brave Search from any browser.

Your browser would still be tracking your search terms and where you visit, and could manipulate the search results you actually see, especially if you have any less-than-reputable extensions loaded.
There is a Brave app you can download so it’s easier

Well, I mean it is possible I did reach the end of the internet for those search terms...and you bring up a good point. But, no, I tend not to compute when away from my desk.

However my GF has been 'big brothered' on more than one occasion where she had been merely thinking about particular things - never searched for them - and ads began appearing.
Predicative algorithms baby. 'They' think they know what you want and prioritize that to your feed. = Tunnel vision
Agreed.

Targeted advertising is different from steering Google search results (though with how google mixes in ads with the first page of results, the boundary is blurry).

searching consumer goods - furniture for example. Same old results/retailers, page after page. Thought I was nuts at first but, it was real.
I doubt anybody is paying off Google to hide away a subset of search results for household furniture so you don't even see lesser known brands deep into the 6th page of search results.

So, using the "Brave" browser, what search engine do you use?
Included. One stop shopping. You don’t need to do a thing. The Rogan video explains the difference in how it works different from Google and yahoo. Etc.

Targeted advertising is different from steering Google search results (though with how google mixes in ads with the first page of results, the boundary is blurry).
That's kinda my overall point....the boundary will be pushed to the point of spoon feeding information of all sorts.

Otherwise, some web annoyances can be skirted with different methods but, your location and identity is known. It's more, how important is it that you're found, and what resources are used to find you.

Back
Top Bottom