Screwed By Mass Today And I Don't Even Live There Anymore

Well called today and still no resolution so I will be picking up my new M&P Shield 9 tomorrow.[smile] Seven freaking days wait because of the holiday but tomorrow I'll get over it. How about you Zappa did you get yours sorted out, hope so.[thumbsup]

I called them Wednesday and they said they got the OK to proceed on Tuesday, but it's a 110 mile round trip from here so I won't be able to get there to pick it up until Saturday.

Well called today and still no resolution so I will be picking up my new M&P Shield 9 tomorrow.[smile] Seven freaking days wait because of the holiday but tomorrow I'll get over it. How about you Zappa did you get yours sorted out, hope so.[thumbsup]

I moved to RI from NH and there is a 7 day wait for ALL firearms, unless you have a police chief issued carry permit. It sucks. I'm used to walking in, filling out some paper work and walking out with my gun and some ammo 15 minutes later.

I moved to RI from NH and there is a 7 day wait for ALL firearms, unless you have a police chief issued carry permit. It sucks. I'm used to walking in, filling out some paper work and walking out with my gun and some ammo 15 minutes later.

That's always been my experience until this time. The people at the shop think Ma. deliberately delays for no good reason. They said as soon as someone puts down Ma. as place of birth they expect it to not be smooth sailing.

Picked mine up yesterday but there was still a "no resolution" so does it just forever remain a no resolution? Just wondering how most of these delays end up after Brady runs out.

Picked mine up yesterday but there was still a "no resolution" so does it just forever remain a no resolution? Just wondering how most of these delays end up after Brady runs out.

No clue, but at least you personally don't have to worry about it unless it comes back denied... at that point I think the lawr gets involved.

No clue, but at least you personally don't have to worry about it unless it comes back denied... at that point I think the lawr gets involved.

The cops aren't usually called about a denial unless the person is an obvious sketchball. Denials are usually a result of a clerical error. Either somebody misplaced a record or forgot to cross their t's and dot their I's. The only one I've ever seen was on a guy who moved in from Europe and INS fu(ked up his paperwork somehow. He appealed and never even got a delay again

The cops aren't usually called about a denial unless the person is an obvious sketchball. Denials are usually a result of a clerical error. Either somebody misplaced a record or forgot to cross their t's and dot their I's. The only one I've ever seen was on a guy who moved in from Europe and INS fu(ked up his paperwork somehow. He appealed and never even got a delay again

We were referring to the ability of an FFL to transfer the firearm after 3 days without a proceed nor denial. If that happens and then a denial does come back, you can be sure that police will be involved if the transferee doesn't immediately return the firearm.

I don't live in NH, but just for educational purposes can someone explain what happened here?

Is the process in NH different than a standard NICS check in a free state?

Like many, I don't understand the process by which a NH resident is getting held up due to a Mass reporting system.

That's always been my experience until this time. The people at the shop think Ma. deliberately delays for no good reason. They said as soon as someone puts down Ma. as place of birth they expect it to not be smooth sailing.

I'd say that's bull crap because I've never gotten a delay from the system in NH and I lived in mass for almost 40 years. Worst issue I've ever had was the NH POC being slow actually running the check and letting the shop know. But I had my laptop and was working from the shop (Free wifi), so it didn't bother me.

It stays in an OPEN state on the NICS system (FFL can see it every time they login) for 30 days and then it ages off. If it goes to a proceed, the FFL should update the 4473 with the proceed date. Not sure what the actual procedure is for a Denial. FFL may call, ATF/Police May show up, who knows.

I don't live in NH, but just for educational purposes can someone explain what happened here?

Is the process in NH different than a standard NICS check in a free state?

Like many, I don't understand the process by which a NH resident is getting held up due to a Mass reporting system.

NHSP run a POC (Point of Contact) which is like a Mini NICS call center. They field background checks for Handgun Sales only. They do the same stuff the FBI NICS Call Center does. It was useful when the Brady bill was first passed as it circumvented the mandatory waiting period. Since the waiting period has been removed from federal law, the POC has outlived it's actual usefulness and is a burden on the NH Tax Payers.

I don't completely understand NH's system. I do know that for handguns the search begins with the NH State police and it is called a POC (point of contact) system or some such thing. I hope someone who knows more about this responds. They evidently check all states you have ever lived in as well as the NICS system and again I'm not 100% on this. I just wondered if once the 3 days pass with no denial and the gun is transferred is that the end of the search or does this remain open till a proceed or denial.

I was slow on the draw and missed your response before I posted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom