• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Screwed By Mass Today And I Don't Even Live There Anymore

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I went into a NH gun shop today to pick up my new pistol, after waiting an hour for the record check to go through, I went home empty handed thanks to Massachusetts.

No, they didn't find anything that would prevent the sale, the Mass record check system was down and the approval couldn't be processed.

Since I previously resided in Mass, their system is queried as part of the record check, but since they weren't responding, the sale was "delayed" NOT "denied".

The clerk was told by the guy working at the NH record check department that Mass been down for awhile and its created a huge backlog for them.

Anyone else get delayed by this today ???

I swear Mass does this sh*t on purpose just to f^ck with us gun owners.

So glad I got outta' there, but it proves that one can never really get totally free of having their boot on your neck.

[angry2]

Yes they have been screwed up since the beginning of August. They can't seem to do anything right.

I went into a NH gun shop today to pick up my new pistol, after waiting an hour for the record check to go through, I went home empty handed thanks to Massachusetts.

No, they didn't find anything that would prevent the sale, the Mass record check system was down and the approval couldn't be processed.

Since I previously resided in Mass, their system is queried as part of the record check, but since they weren't responding, the sale was "delayed" NOT "denied".

The clerk was told by the guy working at the NH record check department that Mass been down for awhile and its created a huge backlog for them.

Anyone else get delayed by this today ???

I swear Mass does this sh*t on purpose just to f^ck with us gun owners.

So glad I got outta' there, but it proves that one can never really get totally free of having their boot on your neck.

[angry2]

Wow, that sux.

My last exposure was a couple weeks ago to sell a Finn Mosin via FFL to another NESer. Buyer was delayed, but had never been delayed before. Felt bad for him, it's a PITA for no good reason.

My last exposure was a couple weeks ago to sell a Finn Mosin via FFL to another NESer. Buyer was delayed, but had never been delayed before. Felt bad for him, it's a PITA for no good reason.

I've never been delayed before either, so I guess there's a first time for everything.

In the last 386 years, Mass has tried to dictate policy over all of New England and succeeded on many occasions. Gun owners are probably low hanging fruit for them.

If you are a NH resident, why does a NH sale need to check MA records again? I am missing something.... I thought NICS check was federal.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Could someone explain how this works? I was under the assumption you only got a federal background check, does the federal check reference all the states to which you have resided?.

Could someone explain how this works? I was under the assumption you only got a federal background check, does the federal check reference all the states to which you have resided?.

I thought so too.

Something new ?

Guessing the Feds can't complete their check as they aren't getting the data they need from MA?

I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally muck it up to slow down sales, or to cry foul after people pick up their delayed gun purchase without a completed check and calling their failure a "loophole".

I think NH runs their own handgun background check, I don't think they use NICS.

NH has a POC system for handgun sales. This means that their state police are doing a background check, not just checking the federal database.

That's stupid. NICS checks all state and federal criminal databases so why would NH waste resources and personel running a completely redundant background check? Does the NH system predate the NICS system and the police union won't let NHSP lay off the extra people?

Last edited:
Federal law requires federally licensed firearms dealers (but not private sellers) to initiate a background check on the purchaser prior to sale of a firearm. Federal law provides states with the option of serving as a state “point of contact” and conducting their own background checks using state, as well as federal, records and databases, or having the checks performed by the FBI using only the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) database. (Note that state files are not always included in the federal database.)
New Hampshire is a “partial point of contact” state for NICS. New Hampshire law authorizes, but does not require, the New Hampshire Department of Safety (“DOS”) to act as a point of contact for NICS.[SUP]1[/SUP] DOS has chosen to act as a point of contact for handgun sales, but not long gun sales. This means that, in New Hampshire, firearms dealers selling handguns must initiate the background check required by federal law by contacting DOS, but firearm dealers selling long guns must initiate the background check required by federal law by contacting the FBI directly.[SUP]2[/SUP] The FBI or POC must then conduct a name-based search of federal and state databases. FBI searches include four federal databases:

• The National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes records regarding wanted persons (fugitives) and persons subject to protective/restraining orders;
  • The Interstate Identification Index, which contains state criminal history records;
  • The Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases, which contain records regarding non-U.S. citizens; and
  • The NICS Index, which contains records of other persons determined to be prohibited under federal or state law from receiving or possessing firearms.[SUP]33[/SUP] Notably, on April 16, 2012, the functionality of the NICS Index was expanded to include state-prohibiting records, thereby providing the NICS Section and state users with the ability to effectively and efficiently identify people prohibited from possessing guns by state, as well as federal, law through NICS, provided states have reported those records to the NICS Index.[SUP]34[/SUP]
As noted above, a state POC search includes the four federal databases, and may include the state’s independent criminal history database, mental health and other records.[SUP]35[/SUP]

Federal law requires federally licensed firearms dealers (but not private sellers) to initiate a background check on the purchaser prior to sale of a firearm. Federal law provides states with the option of serving as a state “point of contact” and conducting their own background checks using state, as well as federal, records and databases, or having the checks performed by the FBI using only the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) database. (Note that state files are not always included in the federal database.)
New Hampshire is a “partial point of contact” state for NICS. New Hampshire law authorizes, but does not require, the New Hampshire Department of Safety (“DOS”) to act as a point of contact for NICS.[SUP]1[/SUP] DOS has chosen to act as a point of contact for handgun sales, but not long gun sales. This means that, in New Hampshire, firearms dealers selling handguns must initiate the background check required by federal law by contacting DOS, but firearm dealers selling long guns must initiate the background check required by federal law by contacting the FBI directly.[SUP]2[/SUP] The FBI or POC must then conduct a name-based search of federal and state databases. FBI searches include four federal databases:

• The National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes records regarding wanted persons (fugitives) and persons subject to protective/restraining orders;
  • The Interstate Identification Index, which contains state criminal history records;
  • The Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases, which contain records regarding non-U.S. citizens; and
  • The NICS Index, which contains records of other persons determined to be prohibited under federal or state law from receiving or possessing firearms.[SUP]33[/SUP] Notably, on April 16, 2012, the functionality of the NICS Index was expanded to include state-prohibiting records, thereby providing the NICS Section and state users with the ability to effectively and efficiently identify people prohibited from possessing guns by state, as well as federal, law through NICS, provided states have reported those records to the NICS Index.[SUP]34[/SUP]
As noted above, a state POC search includes the four federal databases, and may include the state’s independent criminal history database, mental health and other records.[SUP]35[/SUP]

Thanks for relaying that info. Pertinent as a future NH resident. So basically NH does that because there might be state/ local records missed by a regular NICS check. I kinda get that, but why would MA become involved in the process at all if the purchaser is an established NH resident? Do they automatically contact every state the purchaser has ever lived in?

How does the dealer even know you used to live in MA? I assume it just somehow comes up in the POC check? What if you previously lived in 10 other states? Is it only a state that issues licenses and where you were licensed?

Since I previously resided in Mass, their system is queried as part of the record check...
is this sop for every state for a background check? checking the prior states of residency? if it is, no wonder there are so many "delayed" returns.

Back
Top Bottom