• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope suggestion for my first AR15

Hi guys im a newbie here, well my first real post anyway. I first want to say all my experience is with pistols, I carry one everyday and I have no experience with AR15s at all so if I sound like I dont know what im talking about thats why lol. That being said I bought my first AR last week without even shooting one. I got a Colt LE6920 SOCOM (hope I made a good choice) I got that because I was doing research and heard great thing about the 6920 series and I live in MA and the pickings were slim around here and this was available and I had extra money so I said what the hell. Im excited to shoot it this week and I was just wondering what is a good scope/red dot to get? I was reading up on the Aimpoint Pro and heard that was one of the best for the buck so im just looking for suggestions before I grab one this week? Also any other suggestions for anything on the rifle will be appreciated, thanks

It depends on how far you intend to shoot, what the gun's purpose is, what you can do, and how much you want the gun to weigh. The Aimpoint pro isn't exactly a scope, it's a red dot. It doesn't have magnification but will give you faster target acquisition than regular sights.

I'm partial to the vortex strkefire .
Red/ green dot. $140_160 range if you watch the sales.
Holds zero great.
Good battery life.

200 yards is max at my range, I tried to search how far the Aimpoint was accurate for and I read some people say up to 300 yards and some no more then 100

200 yards is max at my range, I tried to search how far the Aimpoint was accurate for and I read some people say up to 300 yards and some no more then 100

I've used an EOTech 512, which is apparently the #1 competitor to the Aimpoint Pro, and I was comfortable with that at 100 yards. I'd need a smaller dot with magnification to be really consistent at 200, 300.

If you're going to use the gun as a HD carbine, the Aimpoint will be perfect. If you want to take the gun coyote hunting or regularly shoot at 200, 300, I'd get a Nikon Coyote Special 3-9x40.

There's also Trijicons, but those are probably more than what you spent on the gun.

If you want to do long range plinking (200 yard gongs etc) then iron sights will work fine, they may be better than a dot since there isn't the dot getting in the way of the sight picture. I think with an aimpoint pro and a good set of back up irons you will be good to go. On the other hand if you care about shooting 0.5moa groups or something then you may be disappointed.

I'll second this.
I've had good luck with this Bushnell as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Illuminated-Reticle-Riflescope-Turrets/dp/B00AU6EIIY

Just purchased this, should show up tomorrow. Paid $300 shipped with a Burris QD mount.

I've been using a microdot so far with great results. In the army I used irons and preferred them. Now I just want to try something with some magnification.

For fast up close acquisition id say stick with a red dot or iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want magnification, I would recommend a 1-4x illuminated scope. Vortex Viper PST 1-4x ($500), Vortex also makes a number of other 1-4x models starting around $200.

uploadfromtaptalk1403795501592.jpg

I have and like the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot sight. I've got both high and low mounts. 2x doubler is nice. Used on ar15, ar308, Gunsite scout rifle, and my shotgun. Above pic is my best six-shot group using the Vortex sight with 2x doubler on my .308 AR at 175 yards.

Also have and like Nikon M223 and M308 scopes.

Check out the Leupold vx-r scope with firedot reticle. 2-7 x is versatile. If I was building a multipurpose AR I'd have that on my short list.

Last edited:
Nikon makes some nice, reasonably priced AR scopes. I have the p-223 3x on an AR I threw together over the winter. When I bought it Cabelas was throwing in the Nikon scope rings free. For the money it's great.

Can't go wrong with an AimPoint PRO.
It is a great value at about $380 if you can get that price.
It IS a red dot and not exactly a scope.
Mine is sighted at 50 yards and I have shot one inch groups.

I plan on getting an EOTech for my next build though because I want a larger viewing area.
I do not plan on targets being more than 100 yards so that would be ok.

Here is some essential info for the PRO:

Print your Aimpoint® Zeroing Target
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/241429-Print-your-Aimpoint®-Zeroing-Target

I 100% co-witness, also...

cowitnessdiagrams-1.jpg

Really depends how accurate youre trying to be at 200yd and whether you want to also have a 1x for fast target acquisition.

A good 1-4 or 1-6 will cost you some money, but dont cheap out. Its easy to see fisheye and imperfections in less expensive glass when shooting both eyes open.

I picked up a primary arms 1-6x and i cant stand it. Should have bought the vortex 1-4 or similar. Buy once cry once, i guess.

Ive also had the strikefire and a few other red dots with no magnification...im just not a fan of that. Too imprecise at any sort of distance.

I have hit targets consistently with an aim point at 4-500 yards...
My personal opinion , get the voretex strikefire II and if you want magnification get the vortex VMX, they offer great products for the price and lifetime warranty
[h=1][/h]

Also if you want to spend a little more get a PA 1-6x ACSS i have heard it's extremely good

It has some mild fish eye, the dot is about 1.5 MOA, and i personally have a difficult time focusing so i have both a clear picture of the reticle and target. Other shooters dont have the same focus issue that i do, so it could be something with my eye and that particular scope.

It has some mild fish eye, the dot is about 1.5 MOA, and i personally have a difficult time focusing so i have both a clear picture of the reticle and target. Other shooters dont have the same focus issue that i do, so it could be something with my eye and that particular scope.
Might be, u could check it out @ the doctors

I have a red dot on my AR, and I find the red dot to be nice for quick target acquisition, but I can't shoot accurate worth a damn past 25 yards. I'm going to put a 3-9 or larger scope on my other AR if I ever get it built, and most likely I'll use a Redfield Revolution scope. I have one on my hunting rifle and I love it. It's a simple, but great quality American made scope.

I have a red dot on my AR, and I find the red dot to be nice for quick target acquisition, but I can't shoot accurate worth a damn past 25 yards. I'm going to put a 3-9 or larger scope on my other AR if I ever get it built, and most likely I'll use a Redfield Revolution scope. I have one on my hunting rifle and I love it. It's a simple, but great quality American made scope.

The glass is good but the Revolutions dont track worth a damn. Its fine for a short range scope / hunting scope inside 200yd but if you need accurate adjustments forget it.

For most uses theyre fine, but the turret tracking was always a deal breaker for me.

I don't have nor have I ever had very many scopes. It was suggested to me to get a Nikon M308 for my 308 AR so I did. I set it up and went to the range with a couple of my cousins. At 100yds we right on target with every shot. Of course any issues with accuracy were clearly directed towards us older two regarding steady hold factors and breathing and such whereas the younger guys couldn't miss. So for my 5.56 I am planing on buying an M223 this spring and trying that out. The scope has more features than I will probably ever use on a 100 yard range but I'm worth it...

Im looking to upgrade my scope on my Varmint AR.
I went through several scopes and red dots several years ago. At some point you need to decide what "accuracy" means to you and then decide if you want to shoot nice tight groups or get "hits" on target..... i found out the hard way I dont really like reds dots.
Im looking for something myself now. Current scope is a vintage VXIII 2.5x8x32 good for hunting, tracks well but just not to fun for targets

the range i go to will be 200yd max soon so i asked the same question in the thread i started (pasted below) and after the suggestions from the members here and a little of my own research i went with vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44 scope and an adm ad-recon-30 mount...i have a cheap red dot to mess around with but for mostly bench shooting i wanted a good scope on a good mount that i could easily pull off and remount the red dot in case i wanted to do something different at the range and not have to worry about rezeroing either very much...i am hoping to get it down to the range this coming weekend and try it out

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...or-Illuminated-Reticle-Mid-Range-Scope-for-AR

Last edited:
If you want magnification, I would recommend a 1-4x illuminated scope. Vortex Viper PST 1-4x ($500), Vortex also makes a number of other 1-4x models starting around $200.

I second the PST 1-4x. I have their cheaper one right now (Crossfire II) and the PST is significantly better. Better reticle, clearer, less distortion.

the range i go to will be 200yd max soon so i asked the same question in the thread i started (pasted below) and after the suggestions from the members here and a little of my own research i went with vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44 scope and an adm ad-recon-30 mount...i have a cheap red dot to mess around with but for mostly bench shooting i wanted a good scope on a good mount that i could easily pull off and remount the red dot in case i wanted to do something different at the range and not have to worry about rezeroing either very much...i am hoping to get it down to the range this coming weekend and try it out

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...or-Illuminated-Reticle-Mid-Range-Scope-for-AR
Nice setup! I have the pst 2.5x32 and the AD recon X 30 and it is superb. Tried it out this weekend in the hurricane winds to zero it.

nice!...how'd that go?

The scope is impressive. got the rifle zeroed but the wind gusts were literally blowing down the pallets used for target stands and almost knocking me down. The new 308 SASS rifle had some feeding problems that I think are from the extra heavy buffer. Ordered a standard buffer and will try it out again to check accuracy although that seemed pretty good even given the wind.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Back
Top Bottom