School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Additionally if you are going to handload XTPs for the .357 (and you should;)) , there are two 158 grainers. One is for pistol velocities the other for rifle.

I know in .452 diameter there are 240gr "XTP mag" bullets (for .454 Casull and 460 SW Magnum) and regular 250gr XTPs (for .45 Colt). I don't see that sort of thing in their current offerings in 158gr, just the XTP hollow points and XTP flat points. Do the flat points have a higher recommended maximum velocity printed on the box?

Any issues shooting aluminum brass or un-jacketed lead in my Henry?

Not with aluminum cases, but as for unjacketed lead, I've experienced poor accuracy and keyholing in .44 Magnum with commercial "cowboy" loads. Probably they were .429 diameter. I handload .430" Hi-Tek coated bullets, though, and they shoot just fine. Hickok45 noted the same thing with his Marlin 1894--he needed .430" diameter for unjacketed lead bullets to shoot accurately in it. In .357 magnum you might experience the same thing if the unjacketed lead bullets are only .357" diameter. I don't recall trying to shoot factory loaded unjacketed lead in my .357M Big Boy, so I don't know, but I can tell you that my handloads of .358" Hi-Tek coated 158 grain bullets are OK.

I know in .452 diameter there are 240gr "XTP mag" bullets (for .454 Casull and 460 SW Magnum) and regular 250gr XTPs (for .45 Colt). I don't see that sort of thing in their current offerings in 158gr, just the XTP hollow points and XTP flat points. Do the flat points have a higher recommended maximum velocity printed on the box?
The HPs performance envelope is 700-1400, the FPs 1200-1800, or roughly pistol velocity and carbine velocity. Kinda like they knew what they were doing or something..:) There is a chart around some where that gives recommended velocity for all their XTP component bullets. If you cant find let me know, I've got it on file somewhere.

edited to correct data

Last edited:
Additionally if you are going to handload XTPs for the .357 (and you should;)) , there are two 158 grainers. One is for pistol velocities the other for rifle.
XTPs are great bullets but not the most economical bullet for plinking. That’s where Zero bullets come in. ~10 cents shipped for a 158 gr JHP

Now I’m trying to find a 38/357 carbine. Style lever gun. Any shops in MA carry any? I would like a middle I could add a small rail section to add a micro red dot.

Now I’m trying to find a 38/357 carbine. Style lever gun. Any shops in MA carry any? I would like a middle I could add a small rail section to add a micro red dot.
Shooting supply in Westport has some in stock.
I believe there are aftermarket railed fore ends available.

Two thumbs down on the rails and stuff. My son has one those fore ends on a 336, and while I love him dearly, the thing is hideous and disgraceful. Blue steel and walnut is where it's at. The rails look like shit as well. You can mount the dot with a little adapter plate that attaches at the pre-drilled an tapped holes for the scope mounts. It's neat and clean and puts the dot at just the right height, for me at least. This isn't my gun, mines a 357, and frankly, well, has much better wood ;) but same dot mounted the same way.

1894ff3.jpg

Two thumbs down on the rails and stuff. My son has one those fore ends on a 336, and while I love him dearly, the thing is hideous and disgraceful. Blue steel and walnut is where it's at. The rails look like shit as well. You can mount the dot with a little adapter plate that attaches at the pre-drilled an tapped holes for the scope mounts. It's neat and clean and puts the dot at just the right height, for me at least. This isn't my gun, mines a 357, and frankly, well, has much better wood ;) but same dot mounted the same way.

View attachment 262902
That’s what I ment. Yea the tactical hand guards are a no no for me. I ment a small section on the top to mount a micro red dot like that. Just gotta find a gun

There's a special place in hell for people who put a scope, or God forbid, a red dot on a lever gun. Might as well just buy a Tavor or a Styer AUG.
Huh? Here’s my deer rifle. I will admit the 3-9x is overkill for deer hunting in Maine but I was cheap and didn’t want to buy another scope as I had this Nikon on hand.
A033741A-3EE5-47DD-8B8B-26F201485CE6.jpeg

There's a special place in hell for people who put a scope, or God forbid, a red dot on a lever gun. Might as well just buy a Tavor or a Styer AUG.
In Hell I'll be in good company.
I have an old 4x Redfield with the post reticle on my old Marlin 336. It was supposed to be temporary until I got the Marbles peep sight set up on it. It's been 30 years. Never underestimate the permanence of "temporary".

There's a special place in hell for people who put a scope, or God forbid, a red dot on a lever gun.
Will their eternal punishment be spent chained to the Thutty-Thutty Win94 Fudd who is on auto-repeat of his story about that 270 pound buck (130 in reality), that he shot at 200 yards (30 in reality)?

Will their eternal punishment be spent chained to the Thutty-Thutty Win94 Fudd who is on auto-repeat of his story about that 270 pound buck (130 in reality), that he shot at 200 yards (30 in reality)?
Seriously. And some are made to take scout scopes. BLR takedown, vertically fed like the Savage 99 series, so you can use spitzers:

The Michael Bane Blog: First Shots, "Scout-In-A-Box"

I have enough .22's, but I really want this new Henry model next.
The American Eagle | Henry Repeating Arms

BTW, when I get back from my trip to Dallas later this week, I'll be posting something .45-70 for sale.
(Not my SBL).
If my son ever gets off his ass and finishes (starts, who am I kidding) his Eagle Project, I will gladly shell out the $1150 for this for him.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/golden-boy-eagle-scout-tribute-edition/

H004ES-GB-Eagle-hero.jpg

I don't know why people say the "special place in hell" thing. It's just virtue signalling, but the population of people that consider holding that particular view a virtue seems quite small.

Most of my lever guns have iron sights, but as of yesterday, I had one that was scoped. Had 3-9x40 on it. But it's not a hunting rifle, and I'm done shooting it from the bench to see how accurate I could make it with my handloads (pretty accurate, it turns out). I was shooting clays on the 100 yard berm yesterday, off hand, and really wasn't enjoying it all that much because I wasn't seeing the hits nearly as well as I can with iron sights. It was nice to see my targets so well, but I started to think it would be more fun shooting the rifle at 1x. Partially inspired by the exchange here (since red dots are supposedly worse than scopes), I decided to take off the Leupold 3-9x40 that was on it and mount a Holosun red dot on a Skinner Weaver mount that mounts in the dovetail of the barrel. Horror of horrors, I don't even have backup sights! Oh the humanity!

Last edited:
mount a Holosun red dot on a Skinner Weaver mount that mounts in the dovetail of the barrel. Horror of horrors, I don't even have backup sights! Oh the humanity!
Now you got me wanting to mount a red dot to my Henry 44....Never tried that before.

I totally agreed with this until I reached 40, then I put peep sights on all my levers....definitely helps bring the range out to 100. But in reality a small 1-4x or 2-7x scope will probably be residing on my 1895 or 336c pretty soon. Those guns can do much better than 100 yards I'm limited to now. I will have tough time doing it though, I love the carry of a lever unscoped. I also enjoy the challenge of having to have the game relatively close.

Straight wall cartridge guns (except 45-70) ...yeah...Ill keep the peeps on those.

A red dot...NFW on a wood and blued Lever.

Back
Top Bottom