• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

357 Mag 140 gr FTX® LEVERevolution® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Horandy makes a full line of ammo specifically for lever guns.

I tried a lot of different ammo for my .357M Big Boy Steel, and nothing shot better than the Hornady 140gr LEVERevolution. It’s too expensive to shoot as much as I do, though. “Independence” did a run of .357M 158gr JSPs awhile back using JSPs with a truncated round nose profile (can’t see the exposed lead from the side). Those shot as well (accurately) in my gun, but by the time I realized that and would have bought it by the case, they were gone. I don’t expect they’ll do another run of those, or if they ever do, they’ll be different. That’s actually what pushed me into reloading.

If someone wants to shoot hot .357M on the cheap, look at PPU 158gr. Federal 158gr JSPs are OK but aren’t too accurate. As a rule, I have not seen my guns deliver their accuracy potential with JSP bullets other than those Independence loads I mentioned.

This thread is killing me, I should have unsubscribed as soon as Ron called my bluff on page one. [laugh]

That 1894 CST is going to be my next firearm purchase after the boy comes into the world and I get my finances in order. I appreciate all the conversation about the ammo for these guns, it will likely save me some time once I get my hands on that rifle.

This thread is killing me, I should have unsubscribed as soon as Ron called my bluff on page one. [laugh]

That 1894 CST is going to be my next firearm purchase after the boy comes into the world and I get my finances in order. I appreciate all the conversation about the ammo for these guns, it will likely save me some time once I get my hands on that rifle.
Hahahahahaha

Do it, and you'll have a sweet rifle to pass down. Congratulations!

The new Marlins seem to be functionally well made but the finish leaves me a little cold. The lever on a stainless 336 I got to check out recently, for example, felt like it had been machined or water jet cut and barely finished past that. The action and bolt seemed to work as nicely as ever, though. I'd say if you have the time and dime to have a shop do some finishing work on them, they remain superb items. They just do not compare right-out-of-the-box to the Marlins of 15+ years back.

The new Marlins seem to be functionally well made but the finish leaves me a little cold. The lever on a stainless 336 I got to check out recently, for example, felt like it had been machined or water jet cut and barely finished past that. The action and bolt seemed to work as nicely as ever, though. I'd say if you have the time and dime to have a shop do some finishing work on them, they remain superb items. They just do not compare right-out-of-the-box to the Marlins of 15+ years back.

I have no experience with any lever rifles, so I have nothing to compare it to. In my research over the last month or so, I am seeing that there are some issues with it, but the features it comes with are out weighing the negatives I have seen. I have to imagine taking a rifle and chopping it up and adding sights and everything, I would be out more money then the cost of the CST new on the rack.

most wild critters do not seem interested in taking on a Kubota.
Aliens-ripley-sigourney-weaver-alien-queen-fight-2.jpg

Anybody know anything about the Mossberg 464 SPX?

Before y'all tear my head off for asking about such a tacticool abomination.... I have a good reason... I would really like a lever gun, but one of my wrists is fused and does not supinate. So I need a VFG on a long gun (except my ARs... I can grip the magwell). The Mossberg has a rail.

Thanks for any input.

Anybody know anything about the Mossberg 464 SPX?

Before y'all tear my head off for asking about such a tacticool abomination.... I have a good reason... I would really like a lever gun, but one of my wrists is fused and does not supinate. So I need a VFG on a long gun (except my ARs... I can grip the magwell). The Mossberg has a rail.

Thanks for any input.

Midwest Industries makes a mlok foreend for Marlin lever guns that would help your situation with out looking so silly with all that Mossberg nonsense in your life.

MI-MARMR<br>Marlin M-Lok Handguard

MI-MARMR-3T.jpg

Still not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Midwest Industries makes a mlok foreend for Marlin lever guns that would help your situation with out looking so silly with all that Mossberg nonsense in your life.

MI-MARMR<br>Marlin M-Lok Handguard

MI-MARMR-3T.jpg

Still not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

I think that rifle would look better if the stock matched the foreend.

What's the deal with tube mags and round nose bullets? Is it true that you're not supposed to mix em?

Spitzer or pointed tip insert hollowpoint bullets in tubes can potentially hit the primer of the round in line ahead of them and cause a deadly chain fire/explosion.

Hornaday makes a rubber tipped boolit specially designed for lever guns to avoid the primer detonation issue while keeping the aerodynamic advantages of a Spitzer.

Yes...called Leverevolution. Uses the FTX bullet. I've handloaded several different calibers with the powder they use and these bullets. Out of a 45-70 they hit pretty hard.
I havent loaded them in 30-30 cause the ammo is pretty cheap and its easier to just buy a box of 150 grain core loks.

I don't buy them because of the supposed increased distance, because I've don't have scopes on my levers and I'm not shooting much past 100 yards with peep sights anyway. I bought them to see how they work on game. On deer sized game they are fine. I don't know if Id use them on bear or something that's harder to penetrate.

When I had my Henry, I've loaded 250 grainers in hot 45 colt loads with H110, and they wacked the shxt out of a doe I shot with them. Easily performed as well or better than a 44mag.

I also used stock 200 grain loads with my 35 Rem to fully ventilate a coyote in NH a few years ago.

Last edited:
What's the deal with tube mags and round nose bullets? Is it true that you're not supposed to mix em?

I've often thought about round nose bullets myself. Given that some 30-30 soft-points are fairly round, I wouldn't worry about soft lead round nose. I don't think I'd choose FMJ round nose.

Last edited:
Shot my Marlin 1895 tonight. 45/70
3 round balls over 9 grains of unique. About 900 FPS. About 417 grain payload.
Alsos shot a Uberti 1873 in 357.
Lever actions rock. Buy as many as you can
Never heard of round balls from a 45 govt. What does one shoot with such a load? How do you hold the balls at the case mouth? Have you had luck with the reduced charge? I tried Red Dot and Green Dot before but my results were very inconsistent.
Unique is my preferred powder for cast Boollits in the 35 Rem. Gets a 204 rngc up to about 1350 FPS.
I do love me a lever gun. 4 centerfire and 3 rimfire.

Never heard of round balls from a 45 govt. What does one shoot with such a load? How do you hold the balls at the case mouth? Have you had luck with the reduced charge? I tried Red Dot and Green Dot before but my results were very inconsistent.
Unique is my preferred powder for cast Boollits in the 35 Rem. Gets a 204 rngc up to about 1350 FPS.
I do love me a lever gun. 4 centerfire and 3 rimfire.

The trick is to use oversized balls.
A 360 in 38 or 430 in 44 or 460 in 45/70
The neck tension takes care of the rest.
If you load a single round ball there is barely any neck tension and not enough to give a proper burn.
I’ve loaded a single round ball in a 45/70 with decent results but I find that your best bet is to go way oversized like a .490” that’s been sized down to .458” giving it a lot more bearing surface. Then you can seat it just deep enough so it’s maybe .010” deeper than half the balls diamter. Roll crimp moderately
Or the second option where it applies in straight walled cases is to use a small powder charge of fast burning pistol powder and push the unsized .457” round ball deep into the case.
This is popular with the castboolit guys and I’ve read reports that the same powder charge with a round ball seated to its equator will bounce off of a 2x4 where the same charge with the ball deep seated will almost pass through the 2x4

Round balls and light bullets were common for indoor gallery shooting of rifles. Hard to shoot a 45/70 in doors without shooting through the building.
Today guys use them for the same or for quiet light practice target loads. They’re also rumored to be great on small game.

The triple ball load was I believe called the sentry load. This was a military load given to indoor guards. They didn’t want to have the 500 or 405 grain bullets for indoor use. You might kill the intruders and someone in the next room.
The triple ball was very effective but didn’t have the overpenetration through walls that a 405 or 500 would.

The double round balls in a 38 special was actually loaded by Remington as a self defense load too.

The load I shot last night held about a 3” group at 25 yards. That would be bad news for small game. 900 FPS shows about 240 ft/lb energy per ball. Bad new for sure.

You can however put any bullet type you'd like in the chamber and fill the mag with round nose or flat point, or if your good with a 2 shot gun put one spire point in the chamber, and one and only only one, in the mag.

Additionally if you are going to handload XTPs for the .357 (and you should;)) , there are two 158 grainers. One is for pistol velocities the other for rifle.

Back
Top Bottom